Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Dinner 2015 Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

jt69er wrote: »
    May try that tomorrow, how long did you cook it for?

I think it was about 8 hours on low from memory. Think I got the recipe here in last years Christmas dinner thread actually!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Stuffing balls almost ready...too early for wine. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Stuffing balls almost ready...too early for wine. :P

It's Christmas Eve. It's never too early for wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've the brown bread in the oven. Made the cranberry sauce yesterday. Once this is ready, we'll pack ourselves and the dog up and head to my mam's. Then into town for our traditional Christmas Eve drink in Davy Byrne's, bit of grub, back to the local then home to the fire and my own little Christmas Eve tradition of new jim-jams :-)

My mother still gets up during the night to leave the presents out as if Santa came. I'm 33!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Dial Hard wrote: »

My mother still gets up during the night to leave the presents out as if Santa came. I'm 33!

that's just so cool:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

My turkey bathing in its salty brine!

nq2vyw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Had all my veg prepped by 10am this morning. Off to pick up turkey & spiced beef & get a few bits & pieces - bread, cream, whiskey - while Mrs B decided to get the car washed. What is it with people washing cars on Christmas Eve? Anyway, huge queue at car wash, so I hit pub after shopping while I waited. To add insult to injury, the dolt ahead of Mrs B screwed up car wash so badly I got a few extra pints in. :)

Still managed to make the stuffing, do my ham & spiced beef, make giblet soup & stock for tomorrow's gravy. All looking good for tomorrow.

Merry Christmas, all! Have a Cool Yule!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

First Christmas dinner done and dusted, an Irish/Eastern European hybrid. All very last minute but it went without a hitch. The more traditional one is tomorrow but at least I'm not doing the cooking! :)

Happy Christmas fellow foodies. Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The stuffing is made and re-made (batch one was too potatoey, who knew?!), the ham is boiling, the crown is defrosting... must be Christmas after all :)
    Happy Christmas one and all x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I took my son up to the park for an hour this morning and came back to prep the food.

Boiled the ham with cloves and will finish it off in the oven tomorrow.I've made the mustard and honey coating for it

Trifle is made, just needs cream and custard tomorrow.
    Turkey is defrosting since yesterday.
    Stuffing is made and in the fridge and the veg is all prepped.

I'll cook the ham first thing in the morning and then do the turkey. I'm serving roast potatoes and roasted runner beans, carrot & parsnip and probably some sprouts.

Just need to throw a bottle of Rosé into the fridge tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Been up since 4am with the kids! :rolleyes:

Full Breakfast for 10 at 8am, now prepping the veg. Turkey stock reducing in the background, smell is incredible.

Good luck all my fellow foodies, hope it's a good one! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

While I'm not cooking the dinner this year, I can't stop thinking about the stuffing balls. I'm on the dry till after 8 tonight, so might end up making a batch. Herself bought all the ingredients, just in case I wanted to put some together. The divil.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm off Christmas dinner duty today as I've been sick this week.
    Well enough to enjoy my dinner now, thoughðŸ˜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've the brown bread in the oven. Made the cranberry sauce yesterday. Once this is ready, we'll pack ourselves and the dog up and head to my mam's. Then into town for our traditional Christmas Eve drink in Davy Byrne's, bit of grub, back to the local then home to the fire and my own little Christmas Eve tradition of new jim-jams :-)

You're never too old :)
    We still do that for our "late 20s/early 30s" daughters. New PJs for Christmas Eve and stockings filled too :)

I have my buttermilk brined turkey in the oven. It smells amazing! I baked the ham yesterday and I have the stuffing and cranberry sauce made so I only have the veg to do today.

Merry Christmas everyone, have a good one :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Glad you're on the mend. My own taste buds have just recovered from the lurgy and I'm looking forward to dinner :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Happy Christmas :)

The_Snowman_poster.jpg

All the lists and planning, guess who forgot Christmas Crackers! :(

(Pick them up 1/2 price tomorrow) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Dinner is up. :)

372658.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

What sort of canapés do you mind me asking?

I'm doing a bit of tapas tomorrow for friends and family so interested in any ideas.

Sorry, just saw this now! For reference, I did deep fried camembert with a port dip, potatoes with smoked salmon and cream cheese, potato cakes with smoked salmon pate and prawns, crostini with goats cheeses and figs and some pate with toasted home made garlic bread.

Stuffed now so pushing dinner out a while

Ham, Bazmo's Stuffing Balls and Pigs in Blankets....

18584694-BD04-4BE1-865D-4628B82CF891_zpsk2u2kok0.jpg

54371C0C-876A-4A8C-97FE-C84E4DFA0345_zpsz3h00lbt.jpg

Pickled Cabbage, Roasties and Turkey Breast, Brussels with Bacon and Cauliflower cheese

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There are food coma victims here, verdict is it was the best turkey and ham EVER!

A good 45 minutes of just eating, no sounds just people stuffing themselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I burnt the arse out of the ham but it was delicious. The turkey was gorgeous :)
    Christmas pudding soon, anyone else needing several hours of a break before dessert?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Just had another round of dinner. I'll give it an hour then I'm hitting the cheeses. Have to save the leftover trifle for breakfast- its a little tradition we started last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Had two rounds of dinner here. Really happy with first full Christmas dinner. My bread stuffing went a bit wrong but still tastes ok just stickier than usual. Everything else went great and the frozen roasties came out brilliantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

It was just me, Mr. Merkin and baby Merkin for dinner and we have courses and courses of goodies in stock but I'd prepped the food earlier and we decided we'd do the main event at around 3pm and then any other food on an ad hoc basis. So served a gargantuan Christmas dinner and then at about 8pm tucked into a moreish cheese board with some great Compte, oak smoked Brie, Gubeen, Stilton, Cotswold and some extra mature cheddar. Have had such a lovely day with my favourite people. Got out of pyjamas at about 1pm and back into them at around 5pm. Happy Christmas to all of you! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Red cabbage top tip: when adding a bit of water, make sure it doesn't contain bicarbonate of soda. I grabbed a jug of water on the kitchen counter, not knowing it had some of the stuff in it.
    The tiniest bit will turn your fresh red cabbage with apples and 2 red onions into evil, black sludge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The nephew did a sterling job - other than his gravy not being a patch on mine - everything was really top notch. He's just started studying chefing. I think he'll go far!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Had a fantastic dinner, nothing out of the ordinary until dessert, that is. Had utterly decadent Christmas Pudding cheesecake, washed down with Starbucks Christmas blend coffee.

That was the end of my Christmas gluttony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I recommend the sherry glazed parsnips recipe - tried and tested with great results:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastpheasantwithshe_87548

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It was my and my husband's first Christmas doing dinner for my family 7 people in total and it was a resounding success!

I think the best part was knowing my mom was getting her first break from cooking Christmas dinner in about 30 years. I'm the golden child for 2016 I'd say :D

Advertisement