Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgages: am I right thinking AIB will be better than KBC in the long term

• 22-11-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at getting a mortgage, and AIB and KBC seem to be the best options in term of (variable) rates in my particular situation. KBC is 0.10% lower but this is accounting for their 0.20% promotion if you have you current account with them (which I assume could end anytime).

I am under the impression that as a newcomer and a bank which his not tight to the Irish market in the long term (i.e. might not care about its long term reputation here), KBC is aggressively trying to recruit new customers with shiny rates but might not be the best choice in the long term (which already seems to verify wit the fact that - if I get it right - KBC only applies rate reduction to new customers while AIB applies them to all customers). I am thinking AIB never will be in a position to go crazy with existing customers as Ireland is its only market (even though on the other end I understand that as opposed to KBC it has to fund a lot of legacy bad loans which is putting upwards pressure on their rates).

What do people think? Any opinion of which bank will treat existing customers better in the long term?

Advertisement