Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GTAV Graphics Settings - Horrible Performance - Help!

• 22-11-2015 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭

Running:

i52400k
    8GB RAM
    650ti boost 1GB

And it runs like dog shyt. Stalling all the time, I change some graphics settings and it runs better, come out of game and it forgets the settings and its back to running like crap? I can't find a simple guide online to input the settings I need to make it run at it's best, help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

sugarman wrote: »
    Your graphics card is extremely weak

You're not helping, I've seen it run very well on this setup before, someone messed with my settings and now it's horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

sugarman wrote: »
    Your graphics card is extremely weak

No its not, the 650Ti boost is a pretty decent card, about the same as a GTX750.

No its not, the 650Ti boost is a pretty decent card, about the same as a GTX750.

You'd know, you built my PC! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The problem is it's not saving your graphic settings. Might be a GTA issue.

The problem is it's not saving your graphic settings. Might be a GTA issue.
    Several restarts later the settings have been applied!! It looks glorious, even on a 650ti. Having one small issue that it keeps starting in windowed mode which is mildly annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

GTA is funny with graphics and smooth frames, I have to change the Hz settings back and forth every 2nd time I start the game to stop the choppiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Try disabling v-sync and force it off from your GPU CP. If you want to see what the actual framerate of your game is you don't want the game or your GPU trying to sync the frames to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Its a very buggy game on the PC.

It had a habit of crashing on me every 40mins or so, for no apparent reason though I seen other people had the same issue.

It didn't matter what settings I had it on, but considering I have a GTX 960 GAMING 2G it should be able to play the game at max.

Thanks for the suggestions lads. I tried for about 3 hours on Saturday to get it right and I thought I finally did and after about half an hour of smoothness it went back to jerking around again. It seems fine and then every few seconds it freezes up, things got when worse online, anyone near me at all caused the performance to drop significantly, pausing for a second at a time. It's driving me absolutely insane. I can't find a guide online for my card, just a general nvidia GTA settings guide...which is grand if you know what your doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Thanks for the suggestions lads. I tried for about 3 hours on Saturday to get it right and I thought I finally did and after about half an hour of smoothness it went back to jerking around again. It seems fine and then every few seconds it freezes up, things got when worse online, anyone near me at all caused the performance to drop significantly, pausing for a second at a time. It's driving me absolutely insane. I can't find a guide online for my card, just a general nvidia GTA settings guide...which is grand if you know what your doing.
    GTA does show symptoms of memory leaks sometimes, i had to increase my page size to remove stuttering after 30+ mins play AND stay below the vram restrictions( even though it ran ok for half an hour it would accumulate ).
    However you havnt even posted your exact settings and framerates so difficult for anyone to diagnose your issue, theres a ferw settings that start off ok and just destroy performance depending on where you are.
    1huge1 wrote: »
    It didn't matter what settings I had it on, but considering I have a GTX 960 GAMING 2G it should be able to play the game at max.
    Sorry but no, http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gta-v-pc-graphics-performance-review,5.html and those settings are nowhere near max, 53FPS avg for a 960 and it doesnt say what its like in the countryside with 2xMSAA
    Also if its crashing after X minutes it could be a pagefile issue, was my issue even though i have 9Gig ram, then of course theres the usual nvidia driver issues that can cause random crashes depending on driver version.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

lmimmfn wrote: »
    GTA does show symptoms of memory leaks sometimes, i had to increase my page size to remove stuttering after 30+ mins play AND stay below the vram restrictions( even though it ran ok for half an hour it would accumulate ).
    However you havnt even posted your exact settings and framerates so difficult for anyone to diagnose your issue, theres a ferw settings that start off ok and just destroy performance depending on where you are.

Sorry but no, http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gta-v-pc-graphics-performance-review,5.html and those settings are nowhere near max, 53FPS avg for a 960 and it doesnt say what its like in the countryside with 2xMSAA
    Also if its crashing after X minutes it could be a pagefile issue, was my issue even though i have 9Gig ram, then of course theres the usual nvidia driver issues that can cause random crashes depending on driver version.

I might of got a bit carried away there when I said max settings :P but considering max settings for GTA V on PC = 4k 60fps if I'm not mistaken would require a serious graphics card.

I never quite figured out what was causing the crashes, I eventually finished the game despite the crashes and was too annoyed to ever play it again, from what I recall, I let NVIDEA Geforce experience set my settings, but I think you are right in that it may of been a driver issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If its working fine for a period and then acting up, it sounds like a memory leak issue, or something in the background hogging CPU resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

1huge1 wrote: »
    I might of got a bit carried away there when I said max settings :P but considering max settings for GTA V on PC = 4k 60fps if I'm not mistaken would require a serious graphics card.

I never quite figured out what was causing the crashes, I eventually finished the game despite the crashes and was too annoyed to ever play it again, from what I recall, I let NVIDEA Geforce experience set my settings, but I think you are right in that it may of been a driver issue.
    lol, not worries, sorry im a bit sensitive on max settings/expectations claims as im a bit of a gfx whore, but yeah, at least 2x980Tis would be needed for close to max settings @4K( 8.3 million pixels ), i get avg 50FPS close to maxed out on 5 million pixels with 1 980Ti, tested it with a 780Ti also but had to drop loads of settings down.

The MSAA( especially with ultra folliage/grass in the countryside FPS can drop 50% ) and all the settings in the Advanced Graphics are the biggest performance killers, even on a 980Ti i have the Advanced Graphics set conservatively.

As for the crashing, youre probably like me, when the game released Nvidia released several horrible POS drivers that would crash to desktop regularly no matter what game you were playing, i reverted to pre GTAV Nvidia drivers and all was solved and i finished the game. Also at the time their drivers had some threading issue which would cause MSI Afterburner( or anything polling the card for stats ) to crash games, i had to disable that too.

Game looks sublime though :)

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Advertisement