Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you allow your dog into your house?

• 22-11-2015 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Forgive me if this is inappropriate in anyway or if it has been posted before. I feel a lot of people love having their pets indoors with them but why do others feel negative towards it. I would love some feedback on your thoughts, good and bad but please keep it professional. I'm starting a blog and this was the first topic that came to mind.

Do you allow your dog into your house? 283 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 283 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I dont understand people who get dogs as pets and don't let them into the house - fair enough for farm dogs or working hunt dogs. My husky is always in the house and sleeps in the hall where she can keep an eye on everyone!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Our dog is a member of the family - he is inside the majority of the time and we wouldn't have it any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Should rephrase the question OP, "Do your dogs allow you into their house"

Ours have the run of the place, they can go anywhere at anytime, bedroom doors are closed during the day but everywhere else is fair game

Out next door neighbours have a dog now for 2yrs and they've never bothered their arses with it, poor thing is stuck out in the garden 24/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My dog's are inside all the time. My brother next door has a GSD that he 'thinks' is outside all the time. The truth is he got the dog for nothing and decided he needed a guard dog. If there was an undesirable prowling around at night the dog wouldn't know because he'd be fast asleep in my back hall. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Great responses so far! Love the rephrased question Scudzilla, might consider it for the blog post. :D This is what i don't understand either, how some people are so against leaving them indoors. We dont have the weather in this country for it and i consider it cruel to leave them outside when it can reach freezing temperatures of 0 to -15.

^^^ LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I have two dogs and they are house dogs. They'd be miserable outside. They like company and so do I/we.
    However, they are not allowed upstairs. I draw the line at dogs in the beds. Having said that, if my teenage sons stay in bed too long, they will sneak up to wake them and I turn a blind eye :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

we have two dogs. They spent time inside when we are home, but they are out side with a large dog house, and a full garden. We had them inside and we noticed from when the sun rose they wee itching to get out in the garden. One of them is a very active setter so when we get up in the morning you can see that he is already running around the garden sniffing etc so it was best to give him the space he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

My dog's are inside all the time. My brother next door has a GSD that he 'thinks' is outside all the time. The truth is he got the dog for nothing and decided he needed a guard dog. If there was an undesirable prowling around at night the dog wouldn't know because he'd be fast asleep in my back hall. :D

I have a gsd mix she spends approx 2hrs of her day outside in the garden however i know someone who has dogs that prefer to be outside and get stressed inside. If our dogs where the other way around and my neighbour took my dog into their house without asking id hit the roof. How dare someone make that decision without asking. My dogs (I have 3) are my "alarm" they will bark and bark if there's someone near the house. That is their one and only job. But they live inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yep, my three boys stay in the house. I'm amazed how many people can't believe I don't keep my German Shepherd outside. He's far too much of a baby to leave out in the cold, plus he'd be up to his neck in muck (happily) given the chance!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

PucaMama wrote: »
    I have a gsd mix she spends approx 2hrs of her day outside in the garden however i know someone who has dogs that prefer to be outside and get stressed inside. If our dogs where the other way around and my neighbour took my dog into their house without asking id hit the roof. How dare someone make that decision without asking. My dogs (I have 3) are my "alarm" they will bark and bark if there's someone near the house. That is their one and only job. But they live inside.

He's not stressed in the house, he's perfectly happy. He doesn't even have a kennel outside never mind a bed. I've been bringing him in two and a half years now and my brother has never even noticed. I pay for his vaccinations or they wouldn't be done. I bring him for his walks twice a day. My brother has as much need of a dog as he does a hole in the head. I will keep bringing him in at night regardless of what my brother thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I too dont know why one would have a dog and not allow it in the house. Dogs are happiest when part of the family - i.e. indoors/outdoors at will. My cat ditto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,291 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Mine are house dogs, we have two mattresses from a babies cot, one either side of our bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

I keep my newfoundland in my house. I grew up having dogs of all sizes and some were outdoor dogs but all were allowed inside also. I would have nothing against keeping a dog outside if there was an appropriate area to keep it safe and secure in comfort but I'd never take on a dog if I never intended letting it in doors. I also have 2 indoor cats and I'd generally be against the idea of letting cats roam outside. I have an enclosed outdoor dog/cat run for them if they need fresh air and the shrews in the garden can live in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

With my last dog, a Labrador, he loved sleeping outside and would whine to go out any time he was inside. My terrier used to be the same, she never wanted to be inside and even now loves being outside. That changed when my labrador died, she wouldn't sleep outside on her own, That was two years ago and she has slept inside ever since. My SpringerXCollie would have a heart attack if it was suggested she sleep outside!

I think it depends on the dog, if it wants to sleep outside then fine let it, but also if its the owner who is choosing to keep the dog outside then they should re-evaluate why they got a dog in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Our dogs are my fur babies, and go out for walks, but if just let out during the day during the winter soon let me know they want in by sitting shivering and looking neglected! even if only out for 10 minutes!
    They do the same when on night time or rainy walks and get lots of sympathy!
    But I could never imagine leaving them outside, as I'm writing this I've my large fur baby next to me on the couch and little one at my feet, warming in front of the fire.
    They really are members of the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

My dog is inside all the time. Total house dog and baba lol. I also can't understand why some people have dogs when they just ignore them outside all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

We are very strict with our dog. We don't want him to believe he is the leader of the pack. So the only time he is allowed into the house is between his walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

my dog sleeps in my bed and follows me everywhere! i love having him around and wouldn't want it any other way. he is part of my family and i treat him as such.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I live in an apartment so leaving the dogs out would never have been an option. Our 8 yr old cocker used to sleep at the end of our bed, then we had our son, who also slept in our bed, so it was "cosy" :pac: then when he turned one we got another puppy, a lab staffie cross. It got to the point that between rapidly growing children and pups, the bed wasn't big enough anymore!

Now the cocker sleeps in the kitchen, and the staffie/ lab sleeps in the hall guarding the bedroom door.

Amazing feedback so far! Thanks all! For those who object please don't be afraid to comment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sorry op, boards.ie does not allow the forum to be used for research for people's blogs.
    Thread closed

I'm reopening this thread (with DBB's consent) as I think there was a good discussion going here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Mine are house dogs also...they look to head outside for a toilet call and sometimes just for a wander around but always end up at the door looking to get back in...they would never be happy with staying outside indefinitely but I suppose that is what we let them get used to as we wanted they inside with us as part of the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

It seems most people are unanimous on the opinion that people should allow dogs in the house but where do people stand on where they sleep?

Would or do you let your dog sleep in your room? would you let him sleep on the bed? or even in the bed?

Call me crazy but i let my dog sleep in the bed with me, its a double bed and the dog is fairly small, he cuddles up against me and will stay there all night, it started one night when he came into the room and jumped up on the bed when i was watching tv and tried to drag the covers down to get in, i didn't have the heart to turn him away and now it has become routine, if I get up to go toilet or get a drink he'll stir for a bit but when I settle back down he'll just slink back in.

Any opinions?

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

I've a husky myself, outside all day, she has he own shed, with an armchair for shelter etc. Indoors at night where she another armchair just for her use. Does occasionally stay out overnight but it's not big deal really, the cold doesn't bother here a bit(loves snow actually!)

So long as a dog isn't totally ignored or neglected, I don't see any problems with people who keep their dogs as "outside" dogs. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

It seems most people are unanimous on the opinion that people should allow dogs in the house but where do people stand on where they sleep?

Would or do you let your dog sleep in your room? would you let him sleep on the bed? or even in the bed?

Call me crazy but i let my dog sleep in the bed with me, its a double bed and the dog is fairly small, he cuddles up against me and will stay there all night, it started one night when he came into the room and jumped up on the bed when i was watching tv and tried to drag the covers down to get in, i didn't have the heart to turn him away and now it has become routine, if I get up to go toilet or get a drink he'll stir for a bit but when I settle back down he'll just slink back in.

Any opinions?

Mine sleeps on the bed, mostly at my feet. Oftentimes he will get under the duvet, I have no problem with that. Some nights he prefers to sleep in his basket on the floor beside the bed or even stay downstairs in his basket in the living room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

Baktag's dog can usually be found here

mT2u1f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dog is inside with us when we're at home. Would miss all the good bits of having him if he was in the garden and he'd die of sadness, he's a people dog. Sleeps in his crate at night. Don't want him sleeping in our room or on our bed (he's big, he sheds, he gets very pace-y at night when his routine is disturbed and we prefer a bit of dog free time at night)

Mine are inside dogs. Leaving them outside just seems a sad and lonely fate... for me.
    When we got khali the lab x from the pound my partner made some strict rules, paramount among them was no sleeping in the bedroom. But she was so scared that first night I convinced him it would be best if she slept in the room in her own bed just for a couple of nights. Which became just for... Forever. Then the rule changed to no sleeping on the bed. That one quickly became only allowed to sleep on the bed when invited to... Then only allowed to sleep on the bed when invited to or when she sneaks up while we're sleeping and theres nothing we can do about it. Now its... Only allowed to sleep wherever she wants whenever she wants.
    I've been 'making' the new yorkie x sleep in his crate beside the bed. (He actually likes this and gets in himself). Its just because he's a bit mad and would be trying to get khali up and playing in the middle of the night. I was away last weekend and lo and behold the partner had him out of the crate and on the bed with himself and khali every night. So someone's completely changed their tune. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Our boxer dog spends all day in the house but goes out to her kennell at night. When we rescued her we were told that she was a house dog but we found she wouldn't settle in the house at night. When we are ready to go to bed she heads down to the back door herself. Even during the day if we are going out she goes to the back door to be let out. All of our previous dogs slept in the kitchen at night and we have had three other boxers and a lab over the last thirty five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Forgive me if this is inappropriate in anyway or if it has been posted before. I feel a lot of people love having their pets indoors with them but why do others feel negative towards it. I would love some feedback on your thoughts, good and bad but please keep it professional. I'm starting a blog and this was the first topic that came to mind.

Don't even bother thinking about getting a dog if you're not going to let him in your house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Our dog hates being outside unless it's between 20 and 25 degrees or she's out for a walk. Previous owner left her outside all the time and she got a bit of a complex about it, so will really only wander around the garden when we're out there too. Otherwise she strictly only goes out to the toilet and comes back. We had her in an apartment for five years and that suited her down to the ground.

Tbh, if a dog has a good insulated shelter outside and likes being out there, I don't see an issue with it. But if someone has a dog that whines half the night to come in, I don't see the logic in being "strict" about it. Some dogs do well outside, like huskies. Others do not. Forcing them to stay out there isn't going to make them like it anymore.

Ours isn't allowed on sofas or beds. She does pretty much have the run of the house during the day, but sleeps in the kitchen at night or when everyone's out. When we first got her, she was up on the couch whenever we sat down, but we did find that she was a little more stressed that way, boundaries weren't 100% clear.
    Now she's perfectly happy snoring her head off in her bed at our feet. Happiness for her is more about being in the same room as us than it is about getting a cuddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

I have two dogs and they are house dogs. They'd be miserable outside. They like company and so do I/we.
    However, they are not allowed upstairs. I draw the line at dogs in the beds. Having said that, if my teenage sons stay in bed too long, they will sneak up to wake them and I turn a blind eye :cool:

Sad isn't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Our lad is outside during the day. He's happy enough to go out in the morning because he knows that's where all the breakfast and kongs are but can't wait to get in as soon as we're home. When we go to bed he sleeps downstairs in a crate.

He used to be allowed on the couch but we had to ban that because he was freaking visitors out by jumping on the couch and wriggling in behind them. We got him a soft bed of his own for the sitting room and now he's happy to stay off the couch. It also stops him doing this:

369439.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Personally I don’t see the point is having a dog and not allowing them inside the home.

If you want a garden ornament then buy a plastic dog. Getting dog and keeping them outside 24/7 is a totally selfish act – cause your not doing it for the good of the dog, it’s for the “want to having a dog”.
    Dogs are social creatures they love to be with their humans – it’s a rarity that a dog will be happy outside 24/7 – why would they be, they thrive on human contact and interaction.

My cocker can usually be found plonked in his orthopaedic bed, sandwiched to the mantel piece in front of the fire or sprawled out on the couch… I wouldn’t have it any other way.
    He is part of my family and deserves to be treated as such.

My cocker is such a happy guy, is no hassle whatsoever and he gives so much in return.. I put him ahead of myself most of them time..

And the alpha male thing is utter nonsense, he couldn’t be more removed from the “alpha male” nonsense if he tried…

If you don’t want an animal in your home, don’t get one.
    If you don’t want hairs - don’t get one
    If you don’t want the bills that come with proper ownership – don’t get one
    If you don’t want to give an animal the time it needs and craves - don’t get one

It’s very simple…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Dogs are pack animals and are not designed to spend extended periods of time on there own or away from the pack. People who don't understand this or simply dont care for this shouldn't own dogs.

Thank you for keeping the thread open. To me it has been a huge concern as it breaks my heart leaving my own dog out when she could be inside enjoying my company sometimes. It raises health concerns for dogs both mentally and physically. I know a few people who are against having dogs inside, would say to me...

"They have a coat for a reason that they should be used to the weather"
    "They'll leave a horrible smell in the house that will put guests off visiting" - Some could say this to me about my car but theres not much i can do about it...i love my dog!
    "They could damage things inside the house and we dont want that"

How many have heard comments like this before and what are your own views on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

My dog is a Maltese/shi tzu cross so she's quite a small thing.

I couldn't bear to think of something that size not being allowed inside and have a 'home' as opposed to an 'area'.

We bought her a bed for the kitchen, she scratched the bejesus out of the doors to get near us at night. So we bought her a bed in my room. Then she'd stand at the side of my bed and give the 'lift me up eyes' which we resolutely said no. Then she'd wait til we fell asleep, nudge the door open, hop up herself like a ninja and sleep at the end of the bed. That tells you just how 'in the house' she is!

Unless they're working dogs like others have pointed out, they're pets and should be allowed in.

And the 'they could damage things' excuse people use is nonsense. Train them correctly and they won't. Keep them out of the very delicate rooms if needs be. If they do break something the very odd time it's an accident. You can't crucify them for that.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've had the whole thing about "oh your apartment will smell" but my answer to that is if the dog is clean and their bedding is clean then there's no smell. I've a really strong sense of smell, and neither of my two smell. If we're out anywhere and they get mucky, we wash them as soon as we get home.

As regards damaging things, I think that's just part and parcel of having a puppy. Both of mine damaged stuff, despite being walked regularly and having a load of toys. I went out to do the grocery shopping one day, and our cocker had pulled a load of books out of the bookcase and eaten them. When we got the staff/lab I was woken one night by a weird sound, opened the bedroom door and found she'd chewed the skirting board, door frame and architrave in the hall, and was happily eating a massive hole in the drywall!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

What would be the point of having a dog and not keeping it in the house, if it's a pet? My uncle used to go hunting, and had a hunting dog that lived outside the house, but she wasn't a pet.

Dogs are sociable animals and need to be part of a pack. The family is the pack for most of them. If dogs aren't allowed in the house, they should at least have other dogs to keep them company.

My dog sleeps outside. We decided from the first day he would sleep outside, and he was fine. Now, when the tv goes off, he runs to the back door, waiting to be let out!

• Advertisement

Thank you for keeping the thread open. To me it has been a huge concern as it breaks my heart leaving my own dog out when she could be inside enjoying my company sometimes. It raises health concerns for dogs both mentally and physically. I know a few people who are against having dogs inside, would say to me...

"They'll leave a horrible smell in the house that will put guests off visiting" - Some could say this to me about my car but theres not much i can do about it...i love my dog!

How many have heard comments like this before and what are your own views on them?

Simple. Don't have a dog.

My view is that's not always the my cocker has ALWAYS been an inside dog if i were to put him outside now he would freak out, he adores the fire, infact i have to watch he doesn't get too close, he synged himself one due to his love of the fire :D

"They'll leave a horrible smell in the house that will put guests off visiting"

My answer to this is... good if you don't like my dog then don't stop by he lives here.. you don't... also OP my house doesn't smell of dog at all so I'm not too sure what these people are going on about? his fur is clipped quiet tight, his beds washed weekly... just because a dog lives indoors doesn't mean the house will stink . In fact sh*tty nappies from babies faaaaar out way the smell of a dog in the house

A bored / poorly exercised dog will become destructive.. fact
    its all avoidable... humans do more damage wear and tear to a home than a dog especially kids.

ene wrote: »
    my dog sleeps in my bed and follows me everywhere! i love having him around and wouldn't want it any other way. he is part of my family and i treat him as such.

Sorry, but I find that disgusting. IN YOUR BED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

People who live with dogs don't notice the smell. I can tell withing 5 seconds of entering a home if a dog lives there or not. I'm not saying it's a bad smell or anything but it's there.

Plenty of cats and dogs live outside, as long as they have warm and dry accommodation, I wouldn't have an issue with it. I've have little issue with them living inside too. I'd draw the line at them sleeping in my bed though.

katydid wrote: »
    Sorry, but I find that disgusting. IN YOUR BED!

The odd time my guy comes up on a Saturday morning for cuddles and sleeps on top of the duvet etc.. for an hour or so

To each their own... better than the dog being stuck in a "run" outside 24/7

Im sure the dog is very happy :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Katydid, you're allowed to respectfully disagree with other posters, but please refrain from using such strong language as "disgusting". It's pretty offensive. A simple "it wouldn't be for me" or somesuch would suffice. As has already been said in this thread, each to their own.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks.
    DBB

People who live with dogs don't notice the smell. I can tell withing 5 seconds of entering a home if a dog lives there or not. I'm not saying it's a bad smell or anything but it's there.

Plenty of cats and dogs live outside, as long as they have warm and dry accommodation, I wouldn't have an issue with it. I've have little issue with them living inside too. I'd draw the line at them sleeping in my bed though.

This is the least a dog needs... thats basic... they needs interaction, socialisation....not just warm dry place to sleep.. that doesnt even cut it for me I'm afraid

DBB wrote: »
    Katydid, you're allowed to respectfully disagree with other posters, but please refrain from using such strong language as "disgusting". It's pretty offensive. A simple "it wouldn't be for me" or somesuch would suffice. As has already been said in this thread, each to their own.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks.
    DBB

Well, I'm sorry, but it's far more than "it wouldn't be for me". I find the idea of someone sharing a bed with a dog as disgusting, for health and hygiene reasons. Am I not entitled to express this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

cocker5 wrote: »
    This is the least a dog needs... thats basic... they needs interaction, socialisation....not just warm dry place to sleep.. that doesnt even cut it for me I'm afraid

Why would they need interaction and socialisation when they are asleep?

The big fella here sleeps in the hall because he has free reign of the farm and is usually quite dirty. But my two are a lot cleaner that a lot of people and one sleeps in my bed and one on the floor of my bedroom. He just has a bit of vet bed as he doesn't like anything touching him when he's asleep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement