Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you allow your dog into your house?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I really want a dog again, and yeah, she/he would live indoors with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

14 dogs in the house here, which I freely admit is ridiculous, but what can you do, I'm not going to have half of them in and half out. 4 sleep on my bed at night, Max likes to get under the duvet with me, he is the best hot water bottle I've ever had.

Does my house smell of dog? Probably, but with that many dogs I don't get many visitors anyway. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Both of mine spend most of their time indoors - mostly asleep on the couch all day. They have beds in my room but the younger one usually finds her way onto the end of my bed by morning! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

muddypaws wrote: »
    14 dogs in the house here, which I freely admit is ridiculous, but what can you do, I'm not going to have half of them in and half out. 4 sleep on my bed at night, Max likes to get under the duvet with me, he is the best hot water bottle I've ever had.

Does my house smell of dog? Probably, but with that many dogs I don't get many visitors anyway. :D

I'd love to see the CCTV if some unsuspecting gouger popped his head in your window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

seamus wrote: »
    Without a doubt children are smellier, messier and more germ-ridden than dogs.

At least a dog will actively avoid standing in it's own crap :(

My brother tried the 'your house stinks because of your dogs' on me once. He wasn't too chuffed when I pointed out that his house stank of shtty nappies, old milk, and puke but I'd been too polite to mention it, but he got my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

I'm gonna weigh in on this and yes say the same thing as everyone else, but I just can't get my head around the concept of getting a dog and leaving them outside to live their lives.
    If you can't love and treat a dog like a family member, then don't bother.

Really grinds my gears when people leave them alone all day outside and only if they're lucky take them for walks now and then.
    anyways rant over...

my two live and have the run of our house, only time they are outside is when they need the loo (and even then nearly have to force them out) and for their walkies.
    As far as i'm concerned they're family members, think i'd let the hubby live in the garden sooner then my two fur babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭purplekitty

My dog is a small pug and he would diiiiie if I put him outside. Spoiled little yoke... I've always grown up with many sizes of dogs who where always let in the house big dogs at night time and during bad weather (only outside to get fresh air and to run around for exercise). But small dogs are kept in all the time (only let out to get some fresh air, brought for walkies to go bathroom). Everyone is different I guess.. have friends who don't let dogs in house cause of the "smell" etc... but house pets shouldn't smell like dog

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

My two live inside, we have a secure garden where they go out to play/poop/stare at the neighbours, but my house is their house too. Phoebe sleeps with me and Izzy sleeps downstairs - both choices they have made independently - and I really wouldnt have it any other way.

If my house smells (which im pretty sure it doesnt), I've a simple solution - dont visit me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Maybe keeping the dog outside is more of a rural thing because my experience doesn't match the poll at all. I had no shortage of "advice" about how I should put my dog outside when I first got her. People felt perfectly entitled to tell me to get a kennel/ shed etc and leave her out, and I had all sorts of comments about the mess she would make of my house (not helped by some minor damage during her settling-in period - oops).

I think at this point I've been accepted as the crazy foreigner and the various parties have admitted that there's no telling me anything. I found the first month or so horrendous though - there are a lot of strong feelings about animals belonging outside [in my area anyway].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

To be honest choc chip I wouldn't expect the views of mostly animal lovers on a pet forum to be representative of the views of the general public on the matter. If the poll was in AH it would tell a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

That's very true adrenalinjunkie, I'm just surprised that there's such a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

To be honest choc chip I wouldn't expect the views of mostly animal lovers on a pet forum to be representative of the views of the general public on the matter. If the poll was in AH it would tell a different story.

Definitely agree. It's an Irish thing as well i.e. that a lot of the general population think dogs are outdoor animals and can be left outside alone all day/night. I live in Vancouver and there is no such thing as an outdoor dog. All dogs live inside. People will report you to the SPCA if dogs are left outside all day/night. Equally though, almost every dog we've ever met has been impeccably trained. People here just don't get dogs unless they plan to train them and keep them indoors as part of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Vancity wrote: »
    Definitely agree. It's an Irish thing as well i.e. that a lot of the general population think dogs are outdoor animals and can be left outside alone all day/night. I live in Vancouver and there is no such thing as an outdoor dog. All dogs live inside. People will report you to the SPCA if dogs are left outside all day/night. Equally though, almost every dog we've ever met has been impeccably trained. People here just don't get dogs unless they plan to train them and keep them indoors as part of the family.

Same in UK. I remember when I first moved here friends and neighbors totally horrified when we kept our dog's inside, and the shock was increased when they found out it wasn't a temporary thing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

cocker5 wrote: »
    Personally I don’t see the point is having a dog and not allowing them inside the home.

If you want a garden ornament then buy a plastic dog. Getting dog and keeping them outside 24/7 is a totally selfish act – cause your not doing it for the good of the dog, it’s for the “want to having a dog”.
    Dogs are social creatures they love to be with their humans – it’s a rarity that a dog will be happy outside 24/7 – why would they be, they thrive on human contact and interaction.

My cocker can usually be found plonked in his orthopaedic bed, sandwiched to the mantel piece in front of the fire or sprawled out on the couch… I wouldn’t have it any other way.
    He is part of my family and deserves to be treated as such.

My cocker is such a happy guy, is no hassle whatsoever and he gives so much in return.. I put him ahead of myself most of them time..

And the alpha male thing is utter nonsense, he couldn’t be more removed from the “alpha male” nonsense if he tried…

If you don’t want an animal in your home, don’t get one.
    If you don’t want hairs - don’t get one
    If you don’t want the bills that come with proper ownership – don’t get one
    If you don’t want to give an animal the time it needs and craves - don’t get one

It’s very simple…

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

personaly I think a dog can be well looked after and not have to be in the house. My dogs are in the house most of the time, but sleep out side due to the reasons I said earlier.

However my father who has had dogs for years has five dogs, and are well looked after and loved, but only two of them will set foot in the house, the rest remain out doors all of the time. My dad would be out with them most of the day due to being a farmer, and the dogs perfect out side. Even when the two who do come in, they have a little snoose in the house but the minuite someone s going out again then run for the door. Someone reported him the ISPCA last year for having the dogs out doors and neglect, they came out, had a look said the amount of crap calls they get off people reporting people over having dogs out doors is a waste of there time, very few are actual neglect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

My dog won't sleep in the house she goes mad and barks non stop if we keep her in. She sits by the fire till half nine on the button and heads out to her bed. I built her house so it's insulated dry. I have been trying but feel bad now she sleeps outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

My girl is working on some excavations under the garden shed and is usually keen to get out and check on her diggings as soon as we get back from our walks. If you hear of a sink hole opening up under a small shed in Dublin that will be us! I don't have a kennel for her outside but I'd like to get one as I noticed she would sit out under the shed or a shrub in the summer and spy on (invisible) things in the garden. She also likes to dine 'al fresco' so every time I open the fridge she is up forming a queue at the back door. That said she is very much an indoors type (also hates the rain) and prefers to just sit on the back of the sofa and look out the front window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Don't have a dog, and prob wouldn't ever get one but I find that most houses I am in that allow their dogs inside, I would know it as soon as I set foot inside the door...that smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Don't have a dog, and prob wouldn't ever get one but I find that most houses I am in that allow their dogs inside, I would know it as soon as I set foot inside the door.

It's much the same with me. Most houses that have men, women or children, their presence is detectable. Strange that.

My dog sleeps on my feet. Not at my feet - on them - unless it's really cold when she will lie with the back of her head at my tummy and the length of her pressed against my legs. I rotate a few inexpensive fleece throws on the bed and she's treated for varmits.

If it's 3am and she wants something yummy from the kitchen she'll lie on me and pat my shoulder or face very gently with a paw. She'll relent when told to. If it's 6am and she needs out to the loo she'll start to do a thumpy scratch dance on the floor and wag/bang her tail on anything that will amplify the noise. Depending on the urgency, she might insist or might go back to sleep. If it's 9am and all has been quiet through the night she'll sit with her back to me and wag her tail like a fan so the breeze makes me laugh. I've a max/min thermometer in my bedroom and it's consistently 3 or 4 degrees higher at night with the dog and myself than it was when I slept alone.

She consistently brightens my day, makes me laugh, keeps me warm, herds me to keep me safe, and insists on play and hugs. I simply don't see the point of having a companion (animal) and shutting doors between us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Lovely thread. I haven't got home in two weeks due to a new job down the country and after reading through this thread I can't remember ever missing my wee dogs as much

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kawasaki1100

Ah, UV gotta look after mans best friend esp I this type of weather. I got a black Lab and like me he's getting on a bit and feeling the cold at night. Of course you have got to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just saw this thread. Just took this pic...

17AA7CB3-BC94-4DD0-9DAA-B134E1DD88B6_zpsfhi7yeuu.jpg

Dogs inside from when we finish work until morning (crated at night). Enclosed garden, patio and dog house (under deck) purpose built for them during the day. CCTV and locked gates. 6ft fencing.

null_zps19648c64.jpg

Our dogs are our family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

That dog house is amazing! I'd happily take a nap in there haha!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Hooked wrote: »
    Just saw this thread. Just took this pic...

Dogs inside from when we finish work until morning (crated at night). Enclosed garden, patio and dog house (under deck) purpose built for them during the day. CCTV and locked gates. 6ft fencing.

Our dogs are our family.

Wow the dog house under the desk looks amazing ... I am planning to build a custom dog house for my dog in the spring might look at something similar.

Of course your dogs are amazing too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Our doggy is our family, of course he's allowed in the house.. He is basically in charge of the house anyway! Teddy is 12 months old and we could not live without him! We do work, but luckily my sister lives with us and works different hours so he has plenty of human company, lots of walks and he has the cat to play with too.

He loves playing and basically gets involved in everything we do. I wish he slept in our bed like other posters, he does come up to bed with us every night, stays for about 10 minutes, but because of his thick coat he gets too hot very quickly and moves to the cool tile floor downstairs. Luckily OES's don't shed, so no additional hoovering apart from all the cat hair! We have bought him so many beds, but the floor is his favourite choice!

We do realise that dogs are pack animals and have decided to get him a little sister to have fun and mess up the house with. We can't wait, picking her up next week.

Anyway here are a few pics and a video of Teddy and the new baby!

https://youtu.be/qRutk3iQt-8

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l3a0zi6grik1eg7/AACv7lcieVDQp81tTGn6W5QDa?dl=0

• Advertisement

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Sometimes in the kitchen, mostly in the utility/garage at night. Banned from everywhere else in the house.

You shouldn't even own a dog so restricted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

My dogs love outside. They love walks along the road - ball and frisbee games in the fields, they love gardening, photography, birdwatching they basically enjoy anything outside that I do and involves human company.

We live rural and have a large secured number of feilds to explore together. They are a pair of energetic border collies traditionally their breed would spend many hours in human company anyway - mine just have it all the time.

They love the home, they cuddle on the lap, stretch beside the fire and on rare days sneak onto the bed!

They have it so good and they take it completely for granted and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Living rural, I have seen other dogs with little to be thankful for - small runs about 1metre squared were one large breed dog seems to be rarely let out from - collies with chains on their neck in open barns - a rottie pure mad from again a too small run - two toy dogs left outside in minus temps and the other extreme dogs left to roam the roads and risk being knocked down.

I just think dogs need company.

simdan wrote: »
    We do realise that dogs are pack animals and have decided to get him a little sister to have fun and mess up the house with. We can't wait, picking her up next week.

Anyway here are a few pics and a video of Teddy and the new baby

Omg Looks like a panda cub!!! :D so cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Omg Looks like a panda cub!!! so cute!

Lol thanks, yep.. He is awesome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Hooked I am also rather impressed with your Sunflowers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

Knine wrote: »
    Hooked I am also rather impressed with your Sunflowers!

Ha ha. Thanks. They, impressively, were grown by my (now) wife. From seeds bought in Aldi.

Grew to 10 feet tall. My next door neighbour (a sweet lady in her 80s) keeps her garden/flowers in show quality. She constantly remarked on how fabulous they were. Alas.. They're long gone! The sunflowers that is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

AryaStark wrote: »
    She will visit each of us durning the night and can open and close doors. She learned to open doors when she was younger and I was delighted to teach her to close them after herself!

How did you teach her to close it after herself?! My collie can open the back door and let herself in, but doesn't close it after herself so the House is freezing if the kitchen door is shut. It would be so handy if she knew how :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Oh yes :)

VEUALlj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

katydid wrote: »
    Sorry, but I find that disgusting. IN YOUR BED!

why is it disgusting? he sleeps where he likes to sleep and if thats on my bed then so be it!

there is nothing better then waking up in the middle of the night and feeling him asleep on my feet.

he is incredibly well groomed i see no issue at all with it.

personally i think its disgusting if people leave a dog outside all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I'm in bed currently with my two right beside me, Labrador to my left, staffy to my right!

My hubby and I are in bed at the min with our 2 beloved dogs and sometimes our cat joins in.people who don't approve of this should try and sleep outside in the kennel/back garden and they forget dogs have feelings like humans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Both my dogs used to sleep on my bed, Moone (terrier) would sleep near the bottom in her own corner all night. But Allie (collieXspringer) had to sleep on the pillow beside me with her head on mine and paws all over me. I miss them being in my bed but I don't miss being paw punched in the face and kicked in the back of the ribs by Allie all night! I did have a blanket on top just for them because I didn't like their hairs on the actual sheets. They now sleep in the kitchen in their crate and basket, their outside during the day when nobody is home but inside from 5pm every day after their walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

My hubby and I are in bed at the min with our 2 beloved dogs and sometimes our cat joins in.people who don't approve of this should try and sleep outside in the kennel/back garden and they forget dogs have feelings like humans

We have a bird feeder in proximity to our patio door. Occasionally a bird will fly in to the door glass and be stunned for a short time. Today, our Labrador pounced on a stunned finch, and ate it in one swift motion, without showing any feeling whatsoever. Never saw a human do that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I sleep in what is known as my doggy burrito. Lovely in the winter and I like waking up at the weekend to snuggles. New boyfriend doesn't have a problem with it either, probably why he's my boyfriend. I judge people on how they are with the dogs as much as I get judged on how i treat them.
    People tend not to realise how much dogs can enhance your life.
    When I was in depths of depression I still had to take them out for walks even though I didn't even want to get dressed. Once I was out with them, they never failed to make me laugh and smile at some crazy silly thing they did.
    You can't put a price on that and therefore I treat them accordingly like my furry companions who have gotten me through some low points in my life and keep me warm in the winter. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

lol
    my three dogs own my house
    i am simply their butler like downton but with markies

• Advertisement

We have a bird feeder in proximity to our patio door. Occasionally a bird will fly in to the door glass and be stunned for a short time. Today, our Labrador pounced on a stunned finch, and ate it in one swift motion, without showing any feeling whatsoever. Never saw a human do that.....
    i ate two pheasants yesterday, fair enough i took the feathers off /guts out first but my staffie bitch has more table manners than me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Tigger wrote: »
    lol
    my three dogs own my house
    i am simply their butler like downton but with markies

I call my two my furry overlords. :D

Don't have a dog, and prob wouldn't ever get one but I find that most houses I am in that allow their dogs inside, I would know it as soon as I set foot inside the door...that smell.
    yeah well you know where the door is
    that smell is home i currently have a flat haired retriever leaning on my leg,a boxer waiting on his dentastix and a staffie in the bed with the wifie
    they can tell its me at the door and dont bark
    but they go crazy when they see me
    and i smell worse than they do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

We have a bird feeder in proximity to our patio door. Occasionally a bird will fly in to the door glass and be stunned for a short time.

Might it not be a good idea to move the bird feeder to somewhere a little safer for the birds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm not a dogs-in-bedrooms person, but even when I had 'outdoor' dogs they were inside whenever I was home. I don't see the point of having a dog otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I love how most people here (including myself) state that they allow their dogs to sleep in or on their bed....

It was your bed. It's theirs now. We are the ones being 'allowed'...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Might it not be a good idea to move the bird feeder to somewhere a little safer for the birds?

Is this thread about dogs or birds?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I draw the line with sleeping with dogs in the bedroom.

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

JaCrispy wrote: »
    I don't know anybody that lick their genitals to clean them.

Only because they can't...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

Letsdoit wrote: »
    Except they lick everything poo pee what ever suits. The say hello by sniffing other dogs behinds.

By your thinking you must put a nappy on your dog and wipe its behind?

If the unfortunate circumstance where a dog did bite someone. Would it be treated the same as a toddler?

No, no and no. Dog behaviour tends to reflect the owner, if you're a prick, your dog is likely going to be a prick. Anyway, back on topic, mine has free reign in the gaff at night, I'm her guardian and she's mine.

Advertisement