Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you allow your dog into your house?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'm between dogs at the moment, I love dog.
    I wouldn't have a dog in the house. I live in the country and any dog I've had has mostly been a pet. But if you watch the behaviour of a dog and think about say letting him up on tables or lick plates and things like that it's very unhygienic.
    I've seen dogs eating excrement, rats, licking other dogs' arses etc.
    That's not to mention paw prints/hair all over the house
    There's a shed at my house and it's where dogs are kept. Lots of room, dry and comfortable. Lock the door at night and open it in the morning. I've never had anything other than happy, healthy dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

I'm between dogs at the moment, I love dog. I wouldn't have a dog in the house. I live in the country and any dog I've had has mostly been a pet. But if you watch the behaviour of a dog and think about say letting him up on tables or lick plates and things like that it's very unhygienic. I've seen dogs eating excrement, rats, licking other dogs' arses etc. That's not to mention paw prints/hair all over the house There's a shed at my house and it's where dogs are kept. Lots of room, dry and comfortable. Lock the door at night and open it in the morning. I've never had anything other than happy, healthy dogs.

No comment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

simdan wrote: »
    No comment..

Agree simdan....

Poster is Perfect example of someone who shouldn't get a dog....

Paw prints .. Hair.. Yes the are dogs they do have paws and hair :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

If I'm at home then he is inside, thankfully he loves going outside if I'm leaving the house....maybe because he always gets a treat! He especially loves Saturdays when I leave the house like 5/6 times so he gets loads of treats!
    And yes I'm sure my house has a doggy smell....a dog lives there! I rather like doggy smell myself it's comforting

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

cocker5 wrote: »
    Agree simdan....

Poster is Perfect example of someone who shouldn't get a dog....

Paw prints .. Hair.. Yes the are dogs they do have paws and hair :)

Exactly, you'd have the same from a toddler/teenager, would they be locked in a shed at night too, with no human interactions, that poster doesn't know what they are missing out on.
    Really hope they stay between dog's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Is this thread about dogs or birds?

To me it seems to be about some people being entrenched in dogs are dogs and should be outside, and you post to me highlighted that you are standing pointing - look at the dog behaving like and dog and pouching on the stunned bird, while failing to look at the human influence that caused the bird to be stunned.

To me it's similar to the, "look he's fine outside he's a dog" idea without looking at whether the dog is getting the required companionship and interaction.

Hands up, my dog doesn't sleep on our bed but he is inside all the time and goes out for walks/toilet. At the weekends he potters in and out as he chooses.
    No doubt if I was to be hard ass about it, we could put him in a kennel outside but why, when he is a companion animal.We have him for companionship and he can't do his job of being a companion if he is locked outside.

No comment..

No please comment, it is a forum after all. What's your issue?
    I've seen a thread where a man had kept a dog inside and the dogs urine had soaked through laminate floors and he was wondering how best to repair this issue. I will never have that problem. As I said I've never had anything other that healthy, happy dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

My fella ozzy is inside whenever we are.

He's great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've seen a thread where a man had kept a dog inside and the dogs urine had soaked through laminate floors and he was wondering how best to repair this issue. I will never have that problem. As I said I've never had anything other that healthy, happy dogs.

A bit of an extreme example there? I doubt many people would have that problem unless the urine was left there for days on end or the floor was already wrecked not to have a coating left on it to repel the liquid. We have cheap laminate floors and plenty of spills over the years and nothing has ever soaked through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

To me it seems to be about some people being entrenched in dogs are dogs and should be outside, and you post to me highlighted that you are standing pointing - look at the dog behaving like and dog and pouching on the stunned bird, while failing to look at the human influence that caused the bird to be stunned.

To me it's similar to the, "look he's fine outside he's a dog" idea without looking at whether the dog is getting the required companionship and interaction.

Hands up, my dog doesn't sleep on our bed but he is inside all the time and goes out for walks/toilet. At the weekends he potters in and out as he chooses.
    No doubt if I was to be hard ass about it, we could put him in a kennel outside but why, when he is a companion animal.We have him for companionship and he can't do his job of being a companion if he is locked outside.

The point that I was making is that dogs do not have the same feelings as humans. For the record, our own dog is let in to the house. But I still don't think of them as 4 legged mini humans. Certainly as man's best friend though...

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    A bit of an extreme example there? I doubt many people would have that problem unless the urine was left there for days on end or the floor was already wrecked not to have a coating left on it to repel the liquid. We have cheap laminate floors and plenty of spills over the years and nothing has ever soaked through it.

His issue was both he and his partner worked full time. The dog was kept in an enclosure. With a bed. So every time the dog urinated it was in the same spot. Anyway that isn't my point, my issue is with the judgemental tone that the previous commentor used. I fully expect that person to hide behind their online anonymity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Can we all cool it now please, remembering the sticky about posting with respect towards other users. Ye can disagree with one another, just mind how ye do it.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Wow. Poor dog. I don't recall seeing that thread, can you link to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm between dogs at the moment, I love dog.
    I wouldn't have a dog in the house. I live in the country and any dog I've had has mostly been a pet. But if you watch the behaviour of a dog and think about say letting him up on tables or lick plates and things like that it's very unhygienic.
    I've seen dogs eating excrement, rats, licking other dogs' arses etc.
    That's not to mention paw prints/hair all over the house
    There's a shed at my house and it's where dogs are kept. Lots of room, dry and comfortable. Lock the door at night and open it in the morning. I've never had anything other than happy, healthy dogs.

All those negatives are down to training (other than the hair). A dog that's house trained won't toilet indoors unless something is wrong. A dog won't get up on tables or lick plates unless it's allowed to. Dogs mouths are cleaner than humans' (in that the germs carried by dogs aren't as dangerous to humans as the germs in a human's mouth). As for paw prints and hair what about shoe prints and human hair? I pull enough of that out of the plughole in my shower, and that's a lot grosser than hoovering some hair up.

Please forgive me for asking but if your dog is outside and you're inside then what do you have it for? How is it a pet? What's the point of having a dog if it's sitting outside looking in at you?

kylith wrote: »
    All those negatives are down to training (other than the hair). A dog that's house trained won't toilet indoors unless something is wrong. A dog won't get up on tables or lick plates unless it's allowed to. Dogs mouths are cleaner than humans' (in that the germs carried by dogs aren't as dangerous to humans as the germs in a human's mouth). As for paw prints and hair what about shoe prints and human hair? I pull enough of that out of the plughole in my shower, and that's a lot grosser than hoovering some hair up.

Please forgive me for asking but if your dog is outside and you're inside then what do you have it for? How is it a pet? What's the point of having a dog if it's sitting outside looking in at you?

It doesn't sit outside looking at me. I go outside and pet it,walk it and it follows me around while I do various jobs. I spend very little time inside so it would be more likely the dog would be looking out at me than the other way around. Also, I'm using "it" because I'm not speaking about a specific dog I'm speaking in the plural.

While you are correct about training, alot of dogs pick up bad habits which are extremely hard to train out of them. Hunting rats, birds and other things are instinctual. Not impossible but difficult to train out of a dog.
    The difference between humans and dogs' mouths is a dogs mouth is more comparible to the way a human uses hands than a humans mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

The vast majority of the replies (and the poll) are in favour of dogs being inside.

Just because a poster opts to have their dog outside, doesn't entitle me to tell them they're wrong and I'm right. It's right for us - and the opposite is right for some.

It's comforting to know that I'm in the majority here, but contrastingly - on a recent poll where dogs sleeping with their owners was the topic - I was in the minority. There's no way I'd have a dog share my bed. In fact I think it's pretty gross. But again, no one died - so it's each to their own.

I love topics like this - as its always interesting to hear both sides of the story.

Speaking of love/hate poll splits - anyone for a bit of the late late toy show? 😜

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Hooked wrote: »
    There's no way I'd have a dog share my bed. In fact I think it's pretty gross. But again, no one died - so it's each to their own.

I love topics like this - as its always interesting to hear both sides of the story.

You'd better not use the word "disgusting" or you'll be told off. You can only don't get both sides of the story on this thread.

banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hooked wrote: »
    There's no way I'd have a dog share my bed. In fact I think it's pretty gross. But again, no one died - so it's each to their own.

I've almost been crushed/roasted alive a few times :eek::p I let Lucy stay on the end of the bed say if I'm reading and she heats it up nicely before I tell her to go to her own - handy in our cold house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Our dogs are always in the house. But they're outside when I'm outside. Dogs thrive on human companionship, so when I'm sitting down relaxing at night, they're in the same room. They sleep outside our bedroom in the hall and come in every morning for a cuddle.

The usual issues that people have with dogs inside, or sleeping on a bed is hygiene. Very few germs are zoonotic - so once you have your dogs free from fleas, worms and ticks then I don't see the problem. I have a 3 month old baby that is living with 3 medium/large dogs and she is going to grow up with a far more robust immune system than children who don't have a pet, or the family pet is now confined to the garden and they don't interact. Plenty of studies have been done on the benefits of children growing up with dogs, not only have they better immune systems, they are also less likely to have allergies or respiratory conditions such as asthma. Babies are born with a very weak immune system and living in a sterile/too clean environment means that the immune system doesn't develop naturally, with healthy bacteria and germs that are naturally present in a normal environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

We have 5 dogs and they all live in the house, evenings usually look like this-

369927.jpg

Wouldn't have it any other way, though space on the couch is severely limited :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

ACD wrote: »

Wouldn't have it any other way, though space on the couch is severely limited :D

We have 3 couches- one for each of us! Except those annoying days when my partner is cuddly then we all end up on my couch!

Panda arrived home last night.. 6 weeks old, our family is complete, well for now anyway! She is his little half sister..

We are very happy and lucky!

https://youtu.be/JKTPPkcO1Qk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Panda arrived home last night.. 6 weeks old, our family is complete, well for now anyway! She is his little half sister..

Absolutely gorgeous!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Gorgeous! But a good bit more than 6 weeks I think! She looks nearer to 10 wks, no?

Absolutely gorgeous!

Yep! We are so excited and happy! She's tiny!! :)

DBB wrote:
    Gorgeous! But a good bit more than 6 weeks I think! She looks nearer to 10 wks, no?

Thanks!!
    No, She was born on 13th of October, :) maybe she looks bigger in the video. We got her brother teddy at 10 weeks and he was nearly twice her size!

So cute I could die! Thanks for sharing that video! Made my day! Puppies are the best!

So cute I could die! Thanks for sharing that video! Made my day! Puppies are the best!

I know.. Even though she is non stop pooing and weeing, she's the cutest thing ever! #ilovepuppies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

My 2 westies would be out during the day with a waterproof kennel unless its a wicked bad day or freezing . they get 2 walks a day and come into house in evening , utility . in morning they come into kitchen until we go to work .

• Advertisement

Going to bed.. Here's another few clips of Panda and Ted

https://youtu.be/glv0xR-ktWI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

My two are Queens of the house. Love their cuddles and are in with me 90% of the time. They are out when I'm cleaning or if they want a play or a dig out in the garden.

They have a kennel outside, beds inside but they prefer my bed. :)

Going to bed.. Here's another few clips of Panda and Ted

https://youtu.be/glv0xR-ktWI

Aww they're so sweet together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's not really a question of allowing him in the house, we totally want him in here. He goes wherever he wants, but mostly just wants to hang out with the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

My dog has the run of the house. I put a couch in the bedroom for her to sleep on. She totally ignores it and sleeps on the bed.
    I have a dog flap fitted so she can go in and out as she pleases. She likes company though and is usually where I am. I think its good for your head having dogs around, they have a great attitude to life. My dog reminds me of the character on the Fast Show who thought everything was Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Do you allow you dog into your house

Yep 'fraid so. Our (late) Shih Tzu Minnie relaxing

DSCF2041%20%281%29.jpg

Now I know how Baby Bear felt!

Nowadays our two new twin boys are restricted to the pub!

IMG_0577.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

My dog reminds me of the character on the Fast Show who thought everything was Brilliant.

Ha, nice one. I always say that about my fella to. He just seems to love everything.

What, you're putting me out the back? Brilliant! Can't wait!

Wait, wait, now you're letting me back in? This is the best day ever!

Advertisement