Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay teachers - does it make a difference?

• 22-11-2015 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

So Im a young guy and Id love to do primary teaching - but I'm gay, and im afraid that will make it a very awkward and difficult ordeal. I remember reading years ago about gay teachers being passed over for promotion, or receiving a general sense of unwelcome from the staff and parents.
    So what's it like? Are you treated differently?

Comments

mattP wrote: »
    So Im a young guy and Id love to do primary teaching - but I'm gay, and im afraid that will make it a very awkward and difficult ordeal. I remember reading years ago about gay teachers being passed over for promotion, or receiving a general sense of unwelcome from the staff and parents.
    So what's it like? Are you treated differently?

It might be worth calling the INTO and asking for their view. They have an active LGBT group and a good reputation in the area of LGBT rights, and as a union they have a lot of experience dealing with primary school management about employee rights generally.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have never known it to be an issue in any school, these days. But then, teachers I know who are LBGT are "discreet" in that they don't physically interact with their partners in public displays that hetro-sexual couples I know do. Not fair, I know, but unfortunately there are still some very narrow minded parents out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

I have worked and went to college with openly gay teachers and it was never an issue but one thing I learnt in teaching is that you're better off keeping your private life private. I was too open about my life in the past and I have learnt my lesson that some walls have very big ears, big mouths and some people judge way too easily :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

Id say it's not a very big issue. Parents would be concerned about how good and interested you are in your job.

You will have to teach re in catholic schools.

I'm a secondary teacher and we have 2 young men doing temp work in the last 2 years and they were accepted into the staff room just like any other teacher ( and a middle aged man doing maternity cover - we all loved him / was a chef in a previous life and often took in home baking

Most teachers keep their private lives private anyways. If you really want to do it just go for it... Gay or straight you'll have people who you work with you wont like and they won't like you...... Best of luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know of one openly gay male principal of a small rural school and I know of a number of 'not out' secondary principals. I would have been quite involved in the TUI LGBT group and set up a general teachers' LGBT group back a couple of years before the INTO one.

I'm sure the doing away completely of the Section 37 legislation will make a big difference - it had some people really fearful for their jobs. Many gay teachers would be out in the staffroom but not in the classroom. That alone is of course a source of stress. The 'I'll say you touched me' element become very frightening to a gay teacher.

I don't think there is a general lack of promotion for gay teachers, though of course anecdotally there are some blatant cases. As with most discrimination, it's easy get away with it if you know you won't be called on it.

General harassment such as name calling and damage to cars and property while rare, is still out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As a parent, I'm really concerned at how good a teacher are you, I don't really care about the rest.

For example, I want the kids to be fast at arithmetic, it's the outcomes I'm concerned about, not whether the teacher is tall/short/male/female, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

spurious wrote: »
    I know of one openly gay male principal of a small rural school and I know of a number of 'not out' secondary principals. I would have been quite involved in the TUI LGBT group and set up a general teachers' LGBT group back a couple of years before the INTO one.

I'm sure the doing away completely of the Section 37 legislation will make a big difference - it had some people really fearful for their jobs. Many gay teachers would be out in the staffroom but not in the classroom. That alone is of course a source of stress.

I have never ever heard of a straight teacher who is 'out' in the classroom. I think all teachers value privacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I have never known it to be an issue in any school, these days. But then, teachers I know who are LBGT are "discreet" in that they don't physically interact with their partners in public displays that hetro-sexual couples I know do. Not fair, I know, but unfortunately there are still some very narrow minded parents out there.
    Not even an issue. I've been in the same staffroom for 14 years now. I've met the partners of three colleagues during this time. None have met mine. Private life is private life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

robp wrote: »
    I have never ever heard of a straight teacher who is 'out' in the classroom. I think all teachers value privacy.

I suppose it's easy in a city. Not so easy in small rural towns - unless you do what some people do and have a whole other life elsewhere at the weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It shouldn't matter but unfortunately there are some parents, members of BOM who are old fashioned/biggotted etc
    Be discrete for your own sake until established as a teacher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

If teaching is what will make you happy then go for it. Other people's attitudes are their own issues and a reflection on who they are. On a day to day basis in school sexuality won't come up. Education is and should be the priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Well I wouldn't want you teaching my children. As an adult I accommodate people with issues with all sorts of issues, but I don't think children need to to be subjected to this.

At one time teachers were aspirant role models, now they must be "representative" with everything weird and wonderful included. This is a teacher's forum, and everyone here will support that idea that it is the interests of the teacher that is important, not that of the children, and that it is me who is causing the problem, so I expect that I will be told to stop posting and a host of posts will arrive telling you to proceed regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Well I wouldn't want you teaching my children. As an adult I accommodate people with issues with all sorts of issues, but I don't think children need to to be subjected to this.

At one time teachers were aspirant role models, now they must be "representative" with everything weird and wonderful included. This is a teacher's forum, and everyone here will support that idea that it is the interests of the teacher that is important, not that of the children, and that it is me who is causing the problem, so I expect that I will be told to stop posting and a host of posts will arrive telling you to proceed regardless.

Subjected to what exactly? Genuinely not a harassment or sarcastic statement, just honestly curious as to what children would be subjected to in this case?

Well. There's always one. Post away. Best have you out in the open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It is because of opinions like these that the OP had to make this thread in the first place.
    It's ok to have your own opinion but not when it's offensive to others. Gay people don't have "issues". The only person who seems to have an issue is you.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    It is because of opinions like these that the OP had to make this thread in the first place.
    It's ok to have your own opinion but not when it's offensive to others. Gay people don't have "issues". The only person who seems to have an issue is you.

We're all adults here. We can accommodate him. Wouldn't let him near kids though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

endacl wrote: »
    We're all adults here. We can accommodate him. Wouldn't let him near kids though....

And why would that be? Come on say it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

Well at least everyone is represented I suppose. Why though? How would my sexuality affect me as a teacher?
    The fact that I am gay would have no bearing on the job in any way. I understand people have their own beliefs and that but I think its obscenely stupid to write me off based on my sexuality, everything so far indicates that I would be a great teacher. Ive been on work placement and its gone extremely well - so much so I taught sixth class French each day and they loved it.
    I understand it's only concern (however much misplaced), but if you really do care for your kids worry about my teaching ability, not sexuality.

I don't mind blonde people, but keep them away from my kids. They don't need to be exposed to that.

Some of my friends are blonde.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

Am genuinely wondering whether someones private life would ever be reflected in the classroom?

I'm not a teacher, and I never bring my private life to work so it doesn't matter whether I'm gay, straight, single, married, have kids or not etc. I would also assume that, as professionals, teachers would do the same.

So OP, be a good teacher. Be a great role model in how you conduct yourself (no lying, cheating or stealing!) and no parent has any right to ask, or expect, anything else. Good luck with your career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Genuinely surprised...

I worked in a school where Mrs. A was out for a few weeks after her wife had a baby. Topics of discussion among students included a) awe isn't he so cute when they saw the pics, b) isn't it shocking how short paternity leave is? and c) is it still called paternity leave if a woman takes it?

...It's all ahead of ya Ireland. The kids will be just fine :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

otwb1 wrote: »
    Am genuinely wondering whether someones private life would ever be reflected in the classroom?

I'm not a teacher, and I never bring my private life to work so it doesn't matter whether I'm gay, straight, single, married, have kids or not etc. I would also assume that, as professionals, teachers would do the same.

So OP, be a good teacher. Be a great role model in how you conduct yourself (no lying, cheating or stealing!) and no parent has any right to ask, or expect, anything else. Good luck with your career.

It's not like you'd be discussing your private life in the classroom, but things arise in conversation. The main thing is that a gay teacher should feel comfortable and not feel the need to hide if something arose in class, or if he or she met a student out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Wow.......just wow......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

TheDriver wrote: »
    Wow.......just wow......
    Mocking people's views. how progressive of you :rolleyes:
    If pupils are being subject to a teacher's sexuality something is very wrong.

endacl wrote: »
    Well. There's always one. Post away. Best have you out in the open.
    Whats your problem?
    katydid wrote: »
    It's not like you'd be discussing your private life in the classroom, but things arise in conversation. The main thing is that a gay teacher should feel comfortable and not feel the need to hide if something arose in class, or if he or she met a student out and about.
    Someone's private life should be hidden in the class room. Teachers are not there 'to be open about themselves'. It hugely undermines the teacher-pupil relationship.

Whats your problem?
    (A) The moronic response to the OP's question.
    (B) The fact that a young guy considering a potential career felt he had to take his sexuality into consideration and post his query. In this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Whats your problem?

Someone's private life should be hidden in the class room. Teachers are not there 'to be open about themselves'. It hugely undermines the teacher-pupil relationship.

Like should I be taking off my wedding ring when I go into school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well I wouldn't want you teaching my children. As an adult I accommodate people with all sorts of issues but I don't think children need to be subjected to this homophobic bigotry.

...and a good number of those children are gay. :eek:

spurious wrote: »
    ...and a good number of those children are gay. :eek:

Well. They wouldn't be if they hadn't caught it off the teacher. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

No it doesn't, and it's a pity that the OP felt the need to ask !!!
    Your private life is just that PRIVATE.

Advertisement