Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay teachers - does it make a difference?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I think RealJohn raises a very interesting point,ie intolerance of intolerance.

Another poster speaks of "moral progression",possibly unaware of the irony of his closing words,that he /she would be "intolerant" of those opposed to the moral progression. Any form of intolerance is regressive.

There is no doubt that here in Ireland anybody who does not hold the supposed morally progressive views are subject to abuse. Therefore if somebody is uncomfortable with homosexuality,they're homophobic,if somebody is uncomfortable with refugees /immigrants they're racist etc.This is quite clearly intolerance of intolerance and is an immature attitude,which hopefully,we will progress from as a society.

EVERYBODY is entitled to an opinion and NOBODY is entitled to offend or abuse anybody because of their opinion. As I have often stated on these threads, nothing in life is black or white.

Now before anybody jumps at me, accusing me of not being morally progressive, let me make it clear that I have a live and let live philosophy and have no issue whatsoever with a person's sexuality. For me it is irrelevant. But I am broad minded enough to understand that for other people, it's not so simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

markc2951 wrote: »
    .there was no gay people in my school then that anyone knew of..I can guarantee you gay people still get savage abuse in school

There were certainly gay people in your school just not out. It would be a gross failing of the school if gay students or teachers got savage abuse. There are a number of out students in our school and I can guarantee that the student community would not tolerate them getting any abuse let alone the teaching staff. ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

wingnut wrote:
    There were certainly gay people in your school just not out. It would be a gross failing of the school if gay students or teachers got savage abuse. There are a number of out students in our school and I can guarantee that the student community would not tolerate them getting any abuse let alone the teaching staff. ,

Since I created this post I have come out, and the student community and whole comraderie thing accounts for a lot. People have made light hearted jokes and they were funny, one guy made a derogatory joke full of vitriol - the glares and silence soon made it obvious he wasn't supported :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Good for you. I'm glad you had a good response from your classmates.

If you do decide to do teaching, going in as 'out' takes away a great deal of 'power' from those who disapprove. They expect you to be ashamed of who you are and doing anything to hide it. Meet them face on.
    I hope and believe you will have a much kinder experience of being gay in teaching than some of us had/have.

Advertisement