Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds in Limerick

• 22-11-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Anyone know the best, reasonably priced place to get grinds around limerick city? I'm in sixth year and I was supposed to be getting free grinds that my school set up but for some unknown reason I'm not getting them now. I'm behind and in bad need of extra help, but at the same time not in the position to be spending mad amounts of money.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

This may not be what you are looking for and you may be slow to take it up but I used to volunteer with St Vincent de Paul offering grinds in small class situations to Junior and Leaving cert pupils in Limerick. It was a brilliant service and many of the volunteer teachers had been teaching for years and were experts in their subjects, I haven't been able to take part this year but I know it's going ahead as I was in contact with the organiser. You could find about it by contacting St Vincent de Paul, there's no stigma attached and no background checks or means tests etc, if you ask you will be included, it's also a nice way to meet pupils from other schools.
    Grinds are expensive and what you'll get out of this is nearly as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nico41

This may not be what you are looking for and you may be slow to take it up but I used to volunteer with St Vincent de Paul offering grinds in small class situations to Junior and Leaving cert pupils in Limerick. It was a brilliant service and many of the volunteer teachers had been teaching for years and were experts in their subjects, I haven't been able to take part this year but I know it's going ahead as I was in contact with the organiser. You could find about it by contacting St Vincent de Paul, there's no stigma attached and no background checks or means tests etc, if you ask you will be included, it's also a nice way to meet pupils from other schools.

Thanks! I've never heard of them before so ill definitely look into it 😊.. another question I probably should have added and it's probably a bit stupid but are grind's good for people who are behind? Since you have experience offering them you might know. My friend has been getting grinds the last few weeks and she says she hates them because she is behind in the subject. I have more catching up to do then her, so when she said this is had me wondering if it would be even worth my while getting them.

It sounds to me like your friend hates those grinds because she is a little embarrassed, they'll probably do her good in the long run and may even shame her into getting her head down.
    There's a long way to go till the exams, don't panic if you feel a bit behind, if you get a few grinds the teacher will show you what to be working on for the moment. Grinds are perfect if you are behind but you have to do the work yourself, look into the ones I mentioned earlier and good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

I started a study log today. Making a study log may help you stay on top of things. There is a good maths teacher called Garry Ryan who does maths grinds at Limerick Tutorial. I think that they are expensive though. A friend of mine gets them and he says their pretty good.

It sounds to me like your friend hates those grinds because she is a little embarrassed, they'll probably do her good in the long run and may even shame her into getting her head down.
    There's a long way to go till the exams, don't panic if you feel a bit behind, if you get a few grinds the teacher will show you what to be working on for the moment. Grinds are perfect if you are behind but you have to do the work yourself, look into the ones I mentioned earlier and good luck.

Ya your right. I'll definitely look into them first thing tomorrow. Thanks a lot! :)

• Advertisement

Thats brilliant! Is this a recent set up? Never heard of it before. If only my parents knew about this when I did the LC :pac:

I started a study log today. Making a study log may help you stay on top of things. There is a good maths teacher called Garry Ryan who does maths grinds at Limerick Tutorial. I think that they are expensive though. A friend of mine gets them and he says their pretty good.

I've tried making one but they just make me more anxious for some reason. Guess everyone is different.. Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

Thats brilliant! Is this a recent set up? Never heard of it before. If only my parents knew about this when I did the LC :pac:

They've been running for years, I did it for a few years but couldn't commit the time last year or this unfortunately. I met some great kids through it and many have gone on to do top college courses, I'd like to think we made a difference because the system is so weighted towards those who can afford the best and most grinds.
    Funnily enough I can't find it on the SVP website now but if anyone contacts them they will get the information they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

I forgot to mention there is a pretty good website called Alison which does a free project maths online course (For higher and ordinary levels) I use it quite a bit.

I forgot to mention there is a pretty good website called Alison which does a free project maths online course (For higher and ordinary levels) I use it quite a bit.

Oh I've never heard it that one before, I'll check it out .. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is it grinds for every subject, or just a few of them?

An File wrote: »
    Is it grinds for every subject, or just a few of them?

Just maths, business and biology.

Advertisement