Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I don't drink....

Options
  • 22-11-2015 8:40pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So on Sundays, I like to have a browse around boards, to check out sub-forums I don't usually visit. Today I popped into Personal Issues and was reminded of my past experience with alcohol. So it led me back to the Non Drinkers forum. Why you ask, because I just want to share my experience in this short existence called life.

I began drinking when I joined the FCA, now the RDF. Well, I joined at 17 and decided to try it at 18, much like cigarettes. At 19, I spent my first summer in the US on a J1 and with this freedom I began drinking beer instead of Smirnoff Ice and the likes. I found it went down easily and kept up my ways with beer for the next 2 summers in the US. I drank to excess, until I was usually blind drunk or the pub closed.

Of course, I kept this up at home in Ireland when ever the folks were away and I had the house to myself. Fast forward to 2008 at the age of 23 and the folks had gone to the US for Christmas. I decided I'd go for a drink or two on my own, as friends were away and family had their own kids.

This didn't go as planned and again, I drank to excess. At the end of the night, I had become quite the asshole. I was arrested and put into a cell for a couple of hours to cool off.

Let me just say, this is a summary, but I used to go drinking with a friend who like me, liked to drink, but we never went excess.

The night I was arrested, it was a massive wake up call to say the least. From then on, only one or two drinks have passed my lips. One drink on my wedding day and one other. I have learnt that alcohol and I don't mix, ever. The following year I got into running and started talking of my mental health. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 prior to the arrest, but never took medication. Now I take care of myself the best I can, but have become found of sweets and need to kick the cigarettes.

That in a nutshell is my story. Alcohol may not be the problem, but it may be a symptom. To anyone who has quit or drinks in moderation, I commend you and to anyone still struggling, it takes perseverance. By reevaluating my relationship with alcohol, I have come to terms with a lot and have been able to fix a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Dvraiz

I never really got into drinking cause I just don't like the taste of most ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Dvraiz

I like some exotic drinks, but I much rather a good coke :P

Itzy wrote: »
    The following year I got into running and started talking of my mental health. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 prior to the arrest, but never took medication. Now I take care of myself the best I can, but have become found of sweets and need to kick the cigarettes.

It's peculiar how we all have different paths, yet they all have a similar ending; I could relate to much in that entire post. I'd just like to reiterate the above emphasis on taking care of mental health. We all need to do it. I've seen the most balanced, successful businessmen end up in the IMI Stress clinics because they thought mental health issues were something that happened other people. They aren't; mental health is at least as important as physical health. People get burnt out across all areas of society. The drink only prevents the development of our mental health. When we're drinking, we're just choosing to put ourselves deeper and deeper into the abyss.

Our good health will not last forever. Grab it with both hands while you have power to change it. Empower yourself. Now. Today.

All these wasted days, months and years of being a slave to alcohol will amount to the greatest regret of your life unless you stop it now and make that stopping the proudest achievement of your existence. From stopping, you can recreate yourself into a stronger, more productive and, after a while, a happier person. What a fantastic time that is of living, truly living. As the seanfhocal has it, 'Mair, a chapaill, agus gheobhaidh tú féar!' ('live, horse, and you will get grass!' - i.e. if you're not truly living and engaging with life, you're not even giving yourself the chance to grow and develop.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I black out.

It started in college, I'd have too many shots and black out.
    But within a year I was blacking out on one or 2 beers (some nights I could have 5 or 6 and remember everything but they were the exceptions not the rule).

I was never a big drinker, I only drank on nights out, I would never have sat at home with a few can watching a match.

I decided to take a break for a month and I liked it.
    More cash in my pocket but most importantly, no more walking on egg shells because I could not remember the weekend before.
    Also I love driving home at the end of a night out, no faffing around, no waiting on buses or Taxi's. No alcohol, no problem.

I still have the odd beer from time to time. But I can take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I gave up drink to improve my quality of life and the taste of it doesn't appeal to me anymore.

I started binging in 2013 after the end of a long term relationship. just on the pull but I used to drink at least 8 pints from usually Thurs to Sunday night and these were on worknights before 12hr shifts. Then add in shots and wine on Friday and Saturday nights and special weekends it would be alot more.

I went on holidays to places like Ibiza drinking all day every day and getting burnt to a crisp, I aged a good 5-10 years. A year later I had all kinds of skin problems I never had before. My memory was also going to crap couldn't remember what happened an hour ago never mind a year.

Roll on 2016 sober 155 days, I'm not fully happy in myself yet but life is much better and easier to deal with - without alcohol in it. Let's see in another 155 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

In the last few months last year I would be nearly doubled over through cringeing at messages I was sending while drunk.

All fairly innocuous ones to the lads that in people would laugh off.

Not texting exes or picking fights or anything.

But I think it's just doing that in my late 30s that is hugely embarrassing.

Cringeing here thinking about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

"Canadel, what are you doing?"

"Not drinking."

"It's not possible.."

"No, it's necessary."

Advertisement