Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Knotweed in Neighbour's Garden

Options
  • 22-11-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm 90% positive my neighbour's got Japanese Knotweed in their garden. It's after bursting its way into the newly built roof of my shed and I suspect due to their lack of care, the JK or invasive weed/crawler may be attacking my extension. The roof of both areas have wooden frames and made of fibreglass. To say I'm sh*tting it is an understatement because in 4 months it's already taking down the insulation in the shed and I dread to see what state my
    extension roof is in.

The JK is growing along the boundary wall coming from my neighbour's house all along the wall. I suppose my question is, what's the best thing I can do in this situation to prevent my roofs from being lifted off their respectable perches as I have zero access to the roots?

Should I just spray whatever area I can get to (down behind sheds/on boundary walls/on my roof etc.) as I have no access to the roots and is there a law against having such a plant?

Can anyone recommend a product to use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

kruka wrote: »
    I'm 90% positive my neighbour's got Japanese Knotweed in their garden. It's after bursting its way into the newly built roof of my shed and I suspect due to their lack of care, the JK or invasive weed/crawler may be attacking my extension. The roof of both areas have wooden frames and made of fibreglass. To say I'm sh*tting it is an understatement because in 4 months it's already taking down the insulation in the shed and I dread to see what state my
    extension roof is in.

The JK is growing along the boundary wall coming from my neighbour's house all along the wall. I suppose my question is, what's the best thing I can do in this situation to prevent my roofs from being lifted off their respectable perches as I have zero access to the roots?

Should I just spray whatever area I can get to (down behind sheds/on boundary walls/on my roof etc.) as I have no access to the roots and is there a law against having such a plant?

Can anyone recommend a product to use?

Yea I think there is a law against growing exotic plants, contact national parks and wildlife NPWS, they should be able to advise, this stuff is a serious problem

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kruka

Thanks a mill rangler1, I just emailed them there. Hopefully they can advise me what I can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

That doesn't sound like jap knotweed. Jap knotweed is not a creeper like ivy etc. Does this creeper have white trumpet type flowers in the summer?
    It could be this plant, not sure of name though.
    Japanese knotweed is a plant that has tubular stems like bamboo and big leaves like plates and dies off over winter leaving dried out brown stems.
    Can you not just cut the creeper off the walls, where it goes near the roof.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like jap knotweed. Jap knotweed is not a creeper like ivy etc. Does this creeper have white trumpet type flowers in the summer?
    It could be this plant, not sure of name though.
    Japanese knotweed is a plant that has tubular stems like bamboo and big leaves like plates and dies off over winter leaving dried out brown stems.
    Can you not just cut the creeper off the walls, where it goes near the roof.

It's small banboo like shoots that twist and knot right up into the roof. It's not easy to cut as there's simply loads of it. It's really tough

It won't let me post images or links as I'm a "new user" but just replace the dot and https where applicable:

In the summer when it flowers it looks like this
    http://www.lovethegarden.com/sites/default/files/files/Japanese%20Knotweed.JPG

Here's part of it coming over my wall. It sticks to everything whether it's made of brick or another plant
    ukf2a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

That doesn't look like J-K to me. Have a patch here next to a stone wall and it never creeps like ivy. :confused:

• Advertisement

The bamboo style shoots are small and behind the roof of the shed so I can't take a photo now, but they're a grey/brown and look like dead wood but they're not dead.

The newer shoots are green and shown above and the only thing that my camera would capture without making myself look like a burglar on the roof.

If it isn't JK, then I've no idea what it is. My neighbour saw me out on the shed roof earlier trying to cut it back and whilst having small chat he said it's a weed he can't seem to get rid of. It gets everywhere whatever it is

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭minibear

That looks more like bindweed to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

All Japanese knotweed dies off in winter so I'd be suspicious of its identity when it's still alive there now. You might get some more affirmative answers in the gardening section, I could move it for you and leave a redirect link here?

Kovu wrote: »
    All Japanese knotweed dies off in winter so I'd be suspicious of its identity when it's still alive there now. You might get some more affirmative answers in the gardening section, I could move it for you and leave a redirect link here?

That'd be great Kovu thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Minibear was right that looks like bindweed. I had to look up the name of it.
    Here's more info about it.
    http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/controlling-bindweed.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

From the flower in the link it looks like Russian vine/mile a minute. That plant colonises sheds very quickly. Not sure if it does much structutal damage but it will cover the shed in no time.

From the flower in the link it looks like Russian vine/mile a minute. That plant colonises sheds very quickly. Not sure if it does much structutal damage but it will cover the shed in no time.

WoollyWoman I think (and I hope) you're right! It can't be a bindweed as I've never seen flowers like the bindweed's.

The Russian swine of a vine! This looks more like what we have invading our garden and attacking our shed and extension. I just read a brief synopsis of it and it's a relative of the JKW - I wasn't far off

We had a small rose bush and it choked it, it makes sense that it's the Russian vine. Thank you so much for identifying it. I just need to figure out a way to get rid of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

It's a tough one to get rid of. Have you spoken to your neighbour? The two of you will have to work together to kill it - unfortunately with Roundup (which I hate but it'd be the only way). Just cutting it back will only encourage it more. The Bioactive Roundup is the best and I'm not sure but I think it's going to be on the banned list soon so time is of the essence!

It's a tough one to get rid of. Have you spoken to your neighbour? The two of you will have to work together to kill it - unfortunately with Roundup (which I hate but it'd be the only way). Just cutting it back will only encourage it more. The Bioactive Roundup is the best and I'm not sure but I think it's going to be on the banned list soon so time is of the essence!

During small talk he mentioned it's a weed tbat keeps coming back that's all. He doesn't have grass or much vegetation other than the swine vine itself so I'd say he'd be fine with some weed killer. Oh they're banning it? Good job tomorrow's pay day, I'll head to a diy/garden store after work. Thanks a mill for everyone's help!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Your pictures are of Russian Vine or Mile-a-Minute. It roots from even a tiny bit of stem and leaf dropped on the ground and also reproduces by 'suckers'. It took me THREE YEARS of hard work to get rid of this noxious stuff from my garden. Pretty flowers but you can actually WATCH it grow!!! Perhaps you could co-operate with your neighbour to root up and burn every scrap of the stuff from their side as well as from yours. The seed-company Thompson & Morgan give the following advice:-

Russian Vine (Fallopia baldschuanica) can be very invasive - its other common name is Mile-a-Minute plant! Firstly, cut the plant back hard to just a few feet above ground level. Removing all of that top growth will weaken it and make it more manageable for you. If you are looking for an organic solution then your best bet is to dig out the roots. You will need to keep an eye out for any regrowth which should be removed in the same way. Otherwise, use a systemic glyphosate based herbicide such as Round Up which can be painted on to the leaves. You may need a couple of applications though.

Chisler2 wrote: »
    Your pictures are of Russian Vine or Mile-a-Minute. It roots from even a tiny bit of stem and leaf dropped on the ground and also reproduces by 'suckers'. It took me THREE YEARS of hard work to get rid of this noxious stuff from my garden. Pretty flowers but you can actually WATCH it grow!!! Perhaps you could co-operate with your neighbour to root up and burn every scrap of the stuff from their side as well as from yours. The seed-company Thompson & Morgan give the following advice:-

Russian Vine (Fallopia baldschuanica) can be very invasive - its other common name is Mile-a-Minute plant! Firstly, cut the plant back hard to just a few feet above ground level. Removing all of that top growth will weaken it and make it more manageable for you. If you are looking for an organic solution then your best bet is to dig out the roots. You will need to keep an eye out for any regrowth which should be removed in the same way. Otherwise, use a systemic glyphosate based herbicide such as Round Up which can be painted on to the leaves. You may need a couple of applications though.

Thank you for your advice. I'll pick up some weed killer this evening and try to prevent the spread of it through my roof. I'll speak with the neighbour to see if he'll allow me to attack its roots too. It's literally growing everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

I think the ban is on sale of > 1Ltr to domestic consumers; for larger quantities you will now need a licence; came into effect Nov 1st. You should have no problem getting 1 Ltr.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I foolishly planted a Russian Vine and when it got out of hand we cut the top down then dug up the roots, and it was gone immediately, no secondary growth.

looksee wrote: »
    I foolishly planted a Russian Vine and when it got out of hand we cut the top down then dug up the roots, and it was gone immediately, no secondary growth.

Best solution by far! Glyphospate herbicides are now known to contribute to bee-diseases and destruction of hives and by extension to all other garden life and is a "very last resort".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

glyphosate? i wasn't aware it was specifically linked to hive destruction; are you referring to neonicotinoids?

• Advertisement

glyphosate? i wasn't aware it was specifically linked to hive destruction; are you referring to neonicotinoids?

No definitive evidence but increasing indication that it is one of the contributors to Colony Colllapse. It appears that in combination with other factors (including changing agricultural practices like monoculture) bees are affected at very low levels of glyphosate presence. Not "the cause" but (it appears) one factor in complex environmental pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It may well be Polygonum Baldschuanicum. Well known for tearing down sheds and light structures, can easily go up two stories.

No exaggeration: Agatha Christie wrote a murder story in which this plant played a role in covering up a crime scene. It grows so fast and is so vigorous.

Advertisement