Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployment up in the West!

Options
  • 22-11-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

A sad state of affairs is the recent news that there are more people in the West signing on now whereas the rest of the country has seen a growth in jobs. Employment is on the up everywhere except in the Taoiseachs home constituency where there has been a decline in employment opportunities.Taoiseach Kenny must be very worried now about getting re-elected in Springtime.It looks like Michael Ring will have to save him once again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 newtown13

Any chance of a link!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cattolico

There are hundreds of jobs in mayo. The problem is the skill shortage. Days are gone when a leaving cert might get you a job, too many badly educated around who can't fill the skills shortage. That is the problem in mayo, positions left unfilled for months until companies can convince foreign workers to come, and even at that they don't stay as mayo is too remote for many. Pharma, engineering, lab, languages.. Its near impossible to get local qualified workers sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

newtown13 wrote: »
    Any chance of a link!?

still waiting

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Rockfish wrote: »
    still waiting

Its funny that Michael Kilcoyne had a similar spat with was reported in the Connaught Telegraph this week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

cattolico wrote: »
    There are hundreds of jobs in mayo. The problem is the skill shortage. Days are gone when a leaving cert might get you a job, too many badly educated around who can't fill the skills shortage. That is the problem in mayo, positions left unfilled for months until companies can convince foreign workers to come, and even at that they don't stay as mayo is too remote for many. Pharma, engineering, lab, languages.. Its near impossible to get local qualified workers sometimes.

There are not hundreds of jobs in Mayo, well not in Castlebar at least anyway, big companies such as Baxter are continuously looking for JobBridge interns and they are not being kept on as the same positions pop up over and over again, where I work we have taken on over 30 in my department alone since the schemes inception, and not one has been kept on.

Job sites are lucky to have any new jobs advertised for weeks on end, Indeed went nearly a month with no new jobs being added for Castlebar and anything that does come up is nearly always looking for managerial experience in retail or medical positions, not to mention the rash of Polish language advertisements springing up on them.

It is not that the people of the town are poorly educated, it is just the majority of the 18-30 year olds left town after they got their degrees or went into construction abroad and you really cannot blame them with the state of the town, those that are left either had no interest in third level, could not afford it or had no trade.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Xenji wrote: »
    There are not hundreds of jobs in Mayo, well not in Castlebar at least anyway, big companies such as Baxter are continuously looking for JobBridge interns and they are not being kept on as the same positions pop up over and over again, where I work we have taken on over 30 in my department alone since the schemes inception, and not one has been kept on.

Job sites are lucky to have any new jobs advertised for weeks on end, Indeed went nearly a month with no new jobs being added for Castlebar and anything that does come up is nearly always looking for managerial experience in retail or medical positions, not to mention the rash of Polish language advertisements springing up on them.

It is not that the people of the town are poorly educated, it is just the majority of the 18-30 year olds left town after they got their degrees or went into construction abroad and you really cannot blame them with the state of the town, those that are left either had no interest in third level, could not afford it or had no trade.

Absolutely, jobsbridge has ruined Mayo and its shameful exploitation is the only thing keeping the jobs figures down.
    My wife was offered a job in a company in Cbar, she was offered 21k a year, she has 17 years exp in a wide area from IT, Support and management. The role was covering a lot of those areas and it suited her.
    She rejected the role and then a month later it was down as a jobs bridge role.

I had a similar experience in a company in Ballinrobe looking for an "IT Guy" with sys admin, DB and programming experience, they were offering 25k.

There definitely isn't 100's of jobs, I'd say 10-15 at a max which are real jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anyone see the job in mayo for it support n evening shift role offering 10k to 20k. 20k just scrapes in at a euro above the minimum wage.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Anyone see the job in mayo for it support n evening shift role offering 10k to 20k. 20k just scrapes in at a euro above the minimum wage.

How many hours? The current living wage is about 25K a years for 38 hours work, anything below that is not a living wage, is just getting by and even the living wage is tight to live on.

those that are left either had no interest in third level, could not afford it or had no trade.

If you don't invest in yourself you will get no where. There isn't an option of not getting an education or a trade.

As for not being able to afford third level, well many of us worked in college or had a grant, if People REALLY want to make it in life they will. The problem is that too many these days are lazy and would prefer to have a job handed to them instead of making the effort. I see lads coming for interviews who had not even bothers to dress somewhat decently, no suit (yet they could afford an iPhone) They have their priorities all wrong. That is why there are 5000 foreign employees in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

I enquired about this as am desperate to get back to Mayo and have 15 years experience in IT. I asked what are the chances of progression as I would be prepared to bite the bullet for a while and progress through the ranks and was basically told there was none! There is a line at the end of the job description "The job will also require handling of non-technical calls" which I have to beg the question what else you'd be doing in this IT support job :D

I have my eye on the job listings in Mayo for the last couple of years and like some others on this forum was very excited at the Northgate and Opensparkz announcements but as the saying goes, I wont be holding my breath.

• Advertisement

cattolico wrote:
    How many hours? The current living wage is about 25K a years for 38 hours work, anything below that is not a living wage, is just getting by and even the living wage is tight to live on.

6pm to 2.30am Monday to Friday.

6pm to 2.30am Monday to Friday.

For 25k a year!!!! Any issue with naming them?

yop wrote: »
    For 25k a year!!!! Any issue with naming them?

It is 10k-20k a year for 42.5 hours work.

Absolutely, jobsbridge has ruined Mayo and its shameful exploitation is the only thing keeping the jobs figures down.
    My wife was offered a job in a company in Cbar, she was offered 21k a year, she has 17 years exp in a wide area from IT, Support and management. The role was covering a lot of those areas and it suited her.
    She rejected the role and then a month later it was down as a jobs bridge role.
    Are you not disproving your own point?
    She was offered a job and didn't accept it

They waited a month and presumably didn't find anyone willing and suitable so they decided to train someone. A paying job was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Ironic username OP?

They waited a month and presumably didn't find anyone willing and suitable so they decided to train someone. A paying job was available.

No guarantee though that the intern was kept on after the 9 months, what you are meant to be doing in an internship and what you end up doing in a lot of cases can be quite different.

Where I work, no matter how fancy the internship sounds, for the majority of it you will be a glorified clerical worker.

Xenji wrote:
    It is 10k-20k a year for 42.5 hours work.

Surely that includes a 30mins break.

No guarantee though that the intern was kept on after the 9 months, what you are meant to be doing in an internship and what you end up doing in a lot of cases can be quite different.

Where I work, no matter how fancy the internship sounds, for the majority of it you will be a glorified clerical worker.

Its better to be an intern that to be on the dole for Months. Also sometimes the interns that come are worth keeping, and some are not. When I see CV's of people that have been unemployed for large periods it brings a lot of questions. The dole is no place to be if you want to build a career, do anything rather than be unemployed.

Im proving that they will not pay ANYWHERE near what a person is worth and insult someone with a salary, they probably never wanted to have to pay for someone so now have a free intern!!!
    Farcical

• Advertisement

An article in the western people quotes northgate as having employed 10 people but wont be increasing employment unless they secure more public service contracts.

An article in the western people quotes northgate as having employed 10 people but wont be increasing employment unless they secure more public service contracts.

How are they hoping to secure more Public Service contracts when they sold off their Public Service division to Cinven last year.

Xenji wrote:
    How are they hoping to secure more Public Service contracts when they sold off their Public Service division to Cinven last year.

Is it not the cinven owned northgate that's in Castlebar.

Is it not the cinven owned northgate that's in Castlebar.

Northgate Information Solutions is in Castlebar, Northgate Information Solutions sold to Cinven it's Public Services division, how is it different to what is in town?

Xenji wrote:
    Northgate Information Solutions is in Castlebar, Northgate Information Solutions sold to Cinven it's Public Services division, how is it different to what is in town?

You are correct. I'd have to re read the article to be sure they said public contracts.

Im proving that they will not pay ANYWHERE near what a person is worth and insult someone with a salary, they probably never wanted to have to pay for someone so now have a free intern!!!
    Farcical
    What a person is worth and what an employer is willing to pay don't always match - as has happened in this case. Your wife was overqualified for the position - having lots of experience isn't going to convert an entry level job into an experienced one.

If they didn't want to pay someone they didn't have to go to the bother of advertising and interviewing for a paid role.
    Jobsbridge is probably working exactly as planned in this situation - an employer can train someone up at no financial cost to themselves. An unemployed person is getting a start and there is very likely a paying job at the end of the internship.

I had a poke around on the CSO site but I don't see a county by county breakdown for unemployment - is this available?

What a person is worth and what an employer is willing to pay don't always match - as has happened in this case. Your wife was overqualified for the position - having lots of experience isn't going to convert an entry level job into an experienced one.

If they didn't want to pay someone they didn't have to go to the bother of advertising and interviewing for a paid role.
    Jobsbridge is probably working exactly as planned in this situation - an employer can train someone up at no financial cost to themselves. An unemployed person is getting a start and there is very likely a paying job at the end of the internship.

I had a poke around on the CSO site but I don't see a county by county breakdown for unemployment - is this available?

What you find is the opposite, I know of 300 who have come through the company I am in and 10 have got jobs.... yet these were qualified people. Jobsbridge is a scam and rarely do people get jobs out of it.
    Companies in Mayo seem to work this very well, even announcing jobs which all turned out to be scambridge.

What you find is the opposite, I know of 300 who have come through the company I am in and 10 have got jobs.... yet these were qualified people. Jobsbridge is a scam and rarely do people get jobs out of it.
    Companies in Mayo seem to work this very well, even announcing jobs which all turned out to be scambridge.

the cloud computing jobs are a prime example.

cloudstrong i think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

the cloud computing jobs are a prime example.

cloudstrong i think it was.

They are still at it and when the 9 months are nearly up the intern has to train it's replacement who is also an intern

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    They are still at it and when the 9 months are nearly up the intern has to train it's replacement who is also an intern

More than them at it. Companies all over Mayo doing it.

Advertisement