Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do science in college if I'm already doing 3 sciences for my LC?

Options
  • 22-11-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I've been looking into courses I'd like to do and Undenominated Science (particularly NUIG) sounds appealing to me. But I've looked around at some past threads that say that 1st year of these courses involves bringing everybody up to speed with LC Biology, Chemistry and Physics, as many people won't have done all 3 for their LC.

I'm already studying these 3 subjects for my Leaving Cert and I'm doing quite well in them. Will I find a Science degree boring or will it be a waste of time (for first year anyway) considering I will already have done all 3 science subjects for the leaving cert?

Also, what do people tend to do with a science degree (irregardless of major)? Are they useful on their own (or possibly combined with a masters) or are they generally used by students as a gateway into Medicine etc. ? What are job prospects like? Do students that have a genuine interest in science do these courses or are they seen as a vague degree done by people just for the sake of it?

Also what kind of lecture hours are involved?

Sorry for all the questions. Any and all advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I can't answer all your questions but I have met a handful of final year students on that course. Most seem to be going on to do another degree (eg pharmacy if they are doing the pharmacology module). It's a great course but you would most likely need a masters or professional degree as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

That seems to be the vibe I'm getting from the course. My guidance counselor told me that the most popular majors in the courses are the likes of pharmacology, physiology and anatomy as people use them as a stepping stone into pharmacy, physio and medicine respectively, which isn't something I plan on doing really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Nuig do biomedical science which might suit you? They share some modules with the undesignated science. It's a great university, hope you find something that fits your future plans.

Advertisement