Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Style Card Meter

Options
  • 22-11-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've just bought a house in Galway City that has a garage converted to a one bedroom flat attached. I'm going to rent this out, problem is there is an electricity meter installed that looks like it's been there for 30 years! I've tried local shops to see where you get the cards with credit but no joy. I know it works as there was someone living there and a card with credit in the meter but I have no idea where to purchase them! I'll need to know if I'm going to rent the flat to someone.

Has anyone got any idea about these? The card is paper, credit card sized, plain white and just says "electricity meter card" in red on it with the credit amount printed in black writing..

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi rwbuzz,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

Without further information it is difficult to say for certain, but it sounds like you have a token meter in the property and you would need to purchase tokens in order to top up the meter. These token cards can be purchased in your local Paypoint outlet. Normally, these type of meters are put in where there is a debt and removed once the debt is cleared. This device functions as a means to pay a portion of the bill before it arrives, but are not sophisticated enough to measure the usage. It is simply set with a weekly amount that needs to be paid in order to keep the electricity supply going. The usage would continue to be calculated through the actual meter.

If you have a token meter, you can get this removed and restore the property to bill pay only or you may be able to exchange to a Pay As You Go meter instead. The Pay As You Go meter will track consumption and ensure that pay enough into the meter to cover the usage. You can also top up the Pay As You Go meter in Payzone and Paypoint outlets, but there is also a facility to top up online as all you need to do is type a code rather than put in a token card. In order to make any changes to the installation, you would need to put the account into your own name. We would require the following information to do this:
    • Your full name
    • Your account number if you had one previously
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number and date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the intended account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)
    • The MPRN and an up to date meter reading

If you wish to find out more about installing a Pay As You Go meter, you can find information here or you can call our colleagues on 1850 305 095.

We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

Advertisement