Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post not honouring Insurance on a damaged parcel?

Options
  • 22-11-2015 11:10pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭

Has anybody ever had this problem I use to regularly sell items online mostly the same type of item which I always packed in exactly the same way and I use to receive these items they were never packaged as good as the way I did them. I even got several people emailing after I sent stuff basically saying how well they were packaged.

So anyway I sent something worth close to 200euro to another EU country after they received the package he contacted me to say it arrived badly damaged and it was basically bent. Of course I had the package packed no different then usual and had it plastered in "Fragile please handle with care" "Please do not bend etc."

So I followed the usual procedure (I have had to open one or two of these claims before) Send the insurance claim form, pictures of the damaged item etc. Now almost two months after opening the case I got a letter from anPost basically saying on further inspection the item wasn't packed properly and basically that they won't pay me out a penny on it. Which to me is just ridiculous because for one it was packed very well (one of the conditions of claiming the insurance is to get the buyer to send you email detailing the damage and they buyer actually made a point in that email of saying how well packed the item was) and short of sending it in a solid steel box what I else am I suppose to do it would had to have taken some battering to be in the condition it was when the buyer got it.

So I haven't had a chance to ring anpost since I got the letter but I just wanted to know if they dig there heels in and refuse to pay is there anything else I can do because it's not fair due to paypal and their policies I will be forced to fully refund the guy not only will i lose the cash I got to send the item but I will have paid anpost nearly 20euro for the privilege of causing this whole situation just really doesn't seem right.

I don't want to mentions what the item was while this is all ongoing but it wasn't glass or anything like that, that can be damaged in the post and isn't covered in their insurance and as I said I have shipped over 100 of these items and they have always been as well packed as they could possibly be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You can complain about a decision to An Post
    https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/Contact+Us/Complaint+Resolution/

However as a business you have no consumer protection so if you don't get anywhere with An Post you may just have to suck it up and write it off as a cost of doing business or take them to the Small Claims Court.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Thanks I did see that already but it's anpost again so I don't think they will go against themselves.

absolutely ridiculous how they get away with that as they can just claim any package someone claims insurance for is not packed properly. My main problem is I am not a business I am just selling my own personal items so a 200euro loss will hit me very hard.

Advertisement