Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else here into old racing bikes?

Options
  • 22-11-2015 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Or am I adrift, alone, in a sea of carbon on my raft made from 531, SLX and duralinox? :)

Anyone who knows what the hell I'm talking about will know old bikes! ;)

After years of restoring old VW's (Mk2 Golfs and Jettas, mostly) I've finally copped on that the cost of restoring a bicycle costs a fraction of restoring a car!

And takes up less space.

And takes less time.

And loads of other positives!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Checks commuter bike:- US made Cro-moly early 1990s. Checks fun bike: Japanese Tange Superlight steel late 1990s. Checks super-modern 29-er MTB: unpainted steel frame (carbon everything else)... . I don't see myself ever on a carbon frame because I don't see myself riding the same one for 20+years. Might give titanium a go for a future road bike...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Brendan Hennessey posts a lot about vintage bikes (and some of his ads in the Cycling Adverts sub-forum are related to his vintage fleet)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Was out on my 1992 Raparee colombus slx steel frame today....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭Junior

8valve wrote: »
    Or am I adrift, alone, in a sea of carbon on my raft made from 531, SLX and duralinox? :)

After years of restoring old VW's (Mk2 Golfs and Jettas, mostly) I've finally copped on that the cost of restoring a bicycle costs a fraction of restoring a car!

And takes up less space.

And takes less time.

Long time no see dude ... restoring some bikes costs less than a bike .. but not all ..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Love steel, working on a Colnago and between trying to source old/new components or putting modern ones on the frame.

Have a beautiful Concorde aelle with exage that I have part restored but have to sell on now due to need for cash ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I have some romanticised ideas in my head about building up a 90's Ti MTB with what would have been the best of the gear back then, and of course some purple anodised bits. Every time I see a picture of Peatys kona from back then the idea comes back to me

I've an old peugeot racer sitting at my parents house, which is on my extremely long finger, Mainly just needed a clean up, and everything re-greased. Theres another old thing I picked up with the intention of fixing up from my friends late uncle, I can't remember the name of it at the minute, but it had mavic stickers put on every component by him

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

And takes up less space.

And takes less time.

I only got back into cycling last year but picked up a sweet Olmo which I believe is Columbus Neuron or possibly Altec. Its all Campag and having built up SL/SLX and TSX in the past is a really nice machine.

My race bikes from years gone by were Tommasini and Concorde...ah the golden years!

I'm building up a modern bike at the moment so we''ll see how that pans out but still would love a Colnago Master!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have done 5 tours to Spain/Portugal over the last couple of years on the Rossin. Columbus SL tubling

Original parts are frame, bars, stem, seatpost, and brake calipers.

1985. Cost me £900 in Hardings. Originally full Dura Ace with Mavic tubular rims.

I commute to work on the Carlton every day since 2008. Its was originally a Raleigh Record Ace but frame was replaced under guarantee due to a broken derailleur hanger.

Original parts are frame, bars and stem. 531 tubing.

1984. Cost me about £350 in Tony Kealys Walkinstown

Both 10 speed now and using Dura Ace downtube levers.

Both bikes were unused for a good few years but I got them back into use over the last 10 years.

I am saving for a hand built Mercian frame and hoping that Sterling has weakened by the time I get the money together!!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I have done 5 tours to Spain/Portugal over the last couple of years on the Rossin. Columbus SL tubling

Original parts are frame, bars, stem, seatpost, and brake calipers.

1985. Cost me £900 in Hardings. Originally full Dura Ace with Mavic tubular rims.

I commute to work on the Carlton every day since 2008. Its was originally a Raleigh Record Ace but frame was replaced under guarantee due to a broken derailleur hanger.

Original parts are frame, bars and stem. 531 tubing.

1984. Cost me about £350 in Tony Kealys Walkinstown

Both 10 speed now and using Dura Ace downtube levers.

Both bikes were unused for a good few years but I got them back into use over the last 10 years.

I am saving for a hand built Mercian frame and hoping that Sterling has weakened by the time I get the money together!!

Where did you get that carrier bracket on the back of the Rossin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

And is the top of the rack-bag tied to the saddle?

• Advertisement

I got it a few years ago from Carradice but it looks like its discontinued.

See below for a description.

http://www.wiggle.com/carradice-bagman-2-expedition-support-bag-mount-qr/

The bike dosent have rack mount holes so Carradice sell a seatpost collar that I put on the down tube. The long arms screw onto this and the quick release bracket screws onto the saddle rails.Its a good system. Bag clips on and off in seconds and there is no swing when cycling. Rated up to 10kg and can take a variety of saddlebags.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Seaswimmer wrote: »

I got it a few years ago from Carradice but it looks like its discontinued.

See below for a description.

http://www.wiggle.com/carradice-bagman-2-expedition-support-bag-mount-qr/

The bike dosent have rack mount holes so Carradice sell a seatpost collar that I put on the down tube. The long arms screw onto this and the quick release bracket screws onto the saddle rails.Its a good system. Bag clips on and off in seconds and there is no swing when cycling. Rated up to 10kg and can take a variety of saddlebags.

Thanks, I have a Giant OCR2 that I don't want to get rid of so the carradice accessories might be the way to go. As much as I want a surly cross-check or an old school tourer its hard to come by decent used ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

I cycle to work on a '79 Peugeot Super Competition that I kitted out with 8 speed Record.

And I have a few others that I ride not quite as often, all either 531 or Columbus SLX.

Plus a couple of projects on the long finger requiring stripping and repaint.

On the lookout for a Raleigh Pro in 753 and the classic red/black/yellow colour scheme for a long time now. There was one or two I regret not going after back when the Sterling exchange rate was better.
    Prices seem to have shot up a bit in the last year or so. I picked up 1 or 2 nice deals about 5 years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Have an old dawes 5 speed, which has survived from being my first full size "racer" (brought second hand). Still waiting for the shed to be built and to have the time to do a restoration job on it as my short commuter/ greenway with the kids bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've been trying to restore an old family '82 Carlton Super Course but the fork is damaged. Has been a long finger job for a while as I sporadically check out the classifieds on RetroBike and LFGSS. Would any of you guys have something stuck in a corner somewhere? It's a large frame and from memory I think I need 205mm of fork steerer. The original is 531 but I'd consider anything that fits at this stage in order to get it moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@Seaswimmer
    The pump on the Carlton must weigh a tonne.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

My '85 Vitus 979 Duralinox. Don't get out on it as much as I'd like. Finding it hard to get replacement white aero hoods if anyone has any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

RobFowl wrote: »
    Love steel, working on a Colnago and between trying to source old/new components or putting modern ones on the frame.

Have a beautiful Concorde aelle with exage that I have part restored but have to sell on now due to need for cash ...

What colour is the concorde?

I had one, frame like this

conmax1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

RobFowl wrote: »

thats an argument i have with myself often...and more and more im thinking that modern stuff is a better option...
    i use the bike way more if it has a modern groupo...
    finally got my hands on pdm concorde gavina sl...soon to be built up with chorus 10 i think so ill ride it and also be able to use my best wheels..

Eamonnator wrote: »
    @Seaswimmer
    The pump on the Carlton must weigh a tonne.

Well its an old steel Zefal 3 pump but I cant bear to let go of it.. Not that heavy but easily gets up to 80 -100psi without too much effort.

The 2 removable steel attachments to hold it on are very clever so if anyone knows where I can get a couple more let me know as they are the only ones I have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

el tel wrote: »
    What colour is the concorde?

I had one, frame like this

It's replica PDM colours
    Will post pics of it and colnago later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I love you all!

My faith in Irish cycle-dom has been restored!

Plastik wrote: »
    I've been trying to restore an old family '82 Carlton Super Course but the fork is damaged. Has been a long finger job for a while as I sporadically check out the classifieds on RetroBike and LFGSS. Would any of you guys have something stuck in a corner somewhere? It's a large frame and from memory I think I need 205mm of fork steerer. The original is 531 but I'd consider anything that fits at this stage in order to get it moving again.

I might have a fork somewhere in the Rebike workshop...it may only be hi-ten Raleigh steel though...I'll have to check later in the week as I'm on shift for the next few days?

I have a few bikes that I haven't even had a chance to lay a hand on yet, due to other projects on the go...

1984 Raleigh Record Sprint....Reynolds 501...finally found one after 30 years! I lusted after one of these as a 13 year old! I probably paid more for it than what it cost new, from Vintage Bicycles Holland.
    [IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/eightvalve/media/rs501_zpsjdrncahq.jpg.html target=_blank>[/img]rs501_zpsjdrncahq.jpg

1989 Peugeot Z-Team replica...Reynolds 653...have a lot of Campag mish-mash stuff to fit to this once she's repainted.
    [IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/eightvalve/media/pug653_zpsw2admfnr.jpg.html target=_blank>[/img]pug653_zpsw2admfnr.jpg

Columbus framed Concorde...think the groupset is Shimano 600...on the way from Holland also.
    [IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/eightvalve/media/concorde_zpsunkemszn.jpg.html target=_blank>[/img]concorde_zpsunkemszn.jpg

Vitus Duralinox frame, with a whole mish-mash of parts...planning to build a Kelly Tribute KAS replica out of this...price of vintage Mavic parts is eye-watering, though!
    [IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/eightvalve/media/vitus_zpsb3pch3pd.jpg.html target=_blank>[/img]vitus_zpsb3pch3pd.jpg

I also recently bought a 1970's Raleigh...just for the open 4 CDs with Mavic hubs that someone had retrofitted...might build that as a 70s Team raleigh replica...it's been brush painted with hammerite, so needs a lot of loving and TLC!

I think I just made a feck of posting pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fixed
    I have a few bikes that I haven't even had a chance to lay a hand on yet, due to other projects on the go...

1984 Raleigh Record Sprint....Reynolds 501...finally found one after 30 years! I lusted after one of these as a 13 year old! I probably paid more for it than what it cost new, from Vintage Bicycles Holland.

rs501_zpsjdrncahq.jpg

1989 Peugeot Z-Team replica...Reynolds 653...have a lot of Campag mish-mash stuff to fit to this once she's repainted.

pug653_zpsw2admfnr.jpg

Columbus framed Concorde...think the groupset is Shimano 600...on the way from Holland also.

concorde_zpsunkemszn.jpg

Vitus Duralinox frame, with a whole mish-mash of parts...planning to build a Kelly Tribute KAS replica out of this...price of vintage Mavic parts is eye-watering, though!

vitus_zpsb3pch3pd.jpg

I also recently bought a 1970's Raleigh...just for the open 4 CDs with Mavic hubs that someone had retrofitted...might build that as a 70s Team raleigh replica...it's been brush painted with hammerite, so needs a lot of loving and TLC!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Ah the Record Sprint I remember lusting after that one too!
    Good taste!

Lumen wrote: »
    Fixed

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Some of my steel adiction. Ok, so the last one isn't made of steel but the man holding it sure is.

th_IMG20151009115248.jpg th_DSC_0637-1-1.jpg th_DC7BF24B-D010-4473-BAD6-69174235A1F9-2478-000008C7A31852C5.jpg th_DSC_0945.jpg th_IMAG0123.jpg th_dfd2cad9.jpg th_00.jpg th_DSC_0383.jpg th_IMG_0009.jpg

• Advertisement

Some of my steel adiction. Ok, so the last one isn't made of steel but the man holding it sure is.

th_IMG20151009115248.jpg th_DSC_0637-1-1.jpg th_DC7BF24B-D010-4473-BAD6-69174235A1F9-2478-000008C7A31852C5.jpg th_DSC_0945.jpg th_IMAG0123.jpg th_dfd2cad9.jpg th_00.jpg th_DSC_0383.jpg th_IMG_0009.jpg

Lovely collection! I don't feel so guilty about having a handful of bikes anymore!

You're definitely a believer in the 'n+1' rule?

Advertisement