Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else here into old racing bikes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

@taxman, whats the model of that first pictured Raleigh of yours, i remember getting marched out of a bike shop in Galway as a kid in tears cos my dad wouldnt buy me that bike. absolute love at first sight. still a beaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Raleigh Team Panasonic.

8valve wrote: »
    You're definitely a believer in the 'n+1' rule?
    Then add in all the modern stuff and it starts becoming a problem. Thank god for the attic.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

@taxman, whats the model of that first pictured Raleigh of yours, i remember getting marched out of a bike shop in Galway as a kid in tears cos my dad wouldnt buy me that bike. absolute love at first sight. still a beaut

I was the same with the Record Sprint!

Wright's Cycles, Henrietta St, Waterford, December 1984. The shop is now long gone.

Yer man persuaded my parents that I 'wouldn't be able for a fast bike like that with skinny wheels, shur he'd have 'em buckled in a week!'.

I never forgave him for that!

Then add in all the modern stuff and it starts becoming a problem. Thank god for the attic.:o

I don't count the modern stuff!

That'd make me nearly as addicted as you! haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Here's my 70's Legnano that I recently restored. The old Rigida Superchromix were in bad nick and the knurled braking surface was useless for stopping.
    Ended up buying eBay replacement 27 inch wheels. Fitted a Charge Spoon brown leatherette saddle and matching bar tape.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Some of my steel adiction. Ok, so the last one isn't made of steel but the man holding it sure is.

Thats some collection !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

love looking at em, would i ride my columbus sl frame over my carbon frame errr no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

My 1985 Raleigh Record sprint which I use for the Ring of Kerry cycle and the Belfast-Dublin Maracycle. DSCF6088.jpg?1448359054831&1448359059148&1448359067966&1448359085756

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Here are my two Lovely Horses.
    15198760352_b6be5a8f9b_b.jpg

14075652745_a3a0ab8e96_o.jpg

The Stelvio is still under construction...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

I was the same with the Record Sprint!

Wright's Cycles, Henrietta St, Waterford, December 1984. The shop is now long gone.

Yer man persuaded my parents that I 'wouldn't be able for a fast bike like that with skinny wheels, shur he'd have 'em buckled in a week!'.

I never forgave him for that!

I thought that mine were the only dreams he shot down. Someone should set up a help group.
    That said I eventually ended up with a Raleigh Kellogs Pro Tour, must have been around '87 / '88. The bike was about two sizes too big for me "shur he'll grow into it, boi".

He (I) didn't, and the bike got minimal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Here's a good website that has some great info on vintage bikes.

Speedbicycles - FAST BIKES SINCE 1900 - Basel Switzerland

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Check out Old Velos - an Irish vintage bike community
    http://www.oldvelos.com

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

My Peugeot PH12 Centenary edition from 1982

Which i'm going to have to admit is to small for me :(

cRPieEwR0sO1ADkLZLuJkinuNiSRp5KeUr6ZnWGrLuaU3LKnaAUETTadX_c5j7uRKdMwtO6HFTJHlHVIvQhX1-tVhl-wq0BDnXdV0Zml32kDVL_VYOK0acFHtm0_av3EZi7pPJaTPWjOl5L21GKiz-Jk4uVwwjgWXjk_Gp9yCawAoMAxIi4Vtkz1YAEVt4eBcy-KSt6pmURflZwbvq8o_ldbONot7xw09cXSdOV9kl2JiShEnJx7Php4M47DQEwISZdH0tJwqLaWH-2LyOsoW4m_N5ac5-3X4TgqR0_13Udi2P9enwX23SKM1FFQ6Rxya17Iu_NafLI-EohMKd3vLvAyUBmhZX5FX_XLu9PWT6qTfuKuYUhrGkqf0IlsfxXnahxa6OoCZPiPcaX5F3KbyGXwTpINviiyO29mKpm-Lun3QYr5yU1EfUNYw_SnvYb7JnDuctJ7t4VcJeV-Jj4gU59tGX0AhsbHa2jw1lLZ68lsMRMNdUkduqL686eOV9LnlcDHWHbnRXf1Z4_eUvqVuepcKhBftGckZ7gTvQWNp4Uv=w1673-h1115-no

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭simo28

Some of my steel adiction. Ok, so the last one isn't made of steel but the man holding it sure is.

th_IMG20151009115248.jpg th_DSC_0637-1-1.jpg th_DC7BF24B-D010-4473-BAD6-69174235A1F9-2478-000008C7A31852C5.jpg th_DSC_0945.jpg th_IMAG0123.jpg th_dfd2cad9.jpg th_00.jpg th_DSC_0383.jpg th_IMG_0009.jpg

I'm going to show the mrs this and then tell her she should quit the nagging about my four bikes :)

You can't beat steel in my opinion.

I have an Orbit America, Reynolds 531c which I use as my commuter, A Condor, Reynolds 531ST which I use for touring. It did a great job protecting me on the rough roads in Cuba this year.
    I'm currently doing up a Claud Butler, Reynolds 631 and I have an Olmo, Columbus tubing sitting in the shed. This hasn't been used in a while so I'll probably sell as I've always an eye for something.
    Reynolds 853 or Columbus slx will probably be next

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

For the last year I've been riding an aluminium '92 Shogun that my uncle used to own. It had 90s 105 on it when I got, but it wasn't worth keeping, so now it's got Tiagra. I also have a 1983 Raleigh in the shed that I'm gonna build up over the Christmas holidays

simo28 wrote: »
    I'm going to show the mrs this and then tell her she should quit the nagging about my four bikes :)

You can add an Audax bike, TT bike, CX bike,SS bike,carbon race bike and a handful of frames if it helps ease the nagging.:)

There is some really nice steel bikes out there for sale at the minute. On adverts I seen an Eddy Merckx, Columbus SLX tubing and a Clamont made with Reynolds 753. On donedeal a really nice Battaglin. Seems unfair for them to be on sale in December when I'm skint :(

simo28 wrote: »
    There is some really nice steel bikes out there for sale at the minute. On adverts I seen an Eddy Merckx, Columbus SLX tubing and a Clamont made with Reynolds 753. On donedeal a really nice Battaglin. Seems unfair for them to be on sale in December when I'm skint :(

True, a few gems show up from time-to-time. You just need to check them regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Great thread folks,

So the original question has been answered - there's plenty of interest in old bikes. My hope is people are riding them too. My club rides are presently on a 1952 Gillott (48 x 15/17). Had to ask the club to pull in this morning though so I could change gear!

Oldvelos intends to run the Vintage International Classic again this September, most likely on a Saturday but need to talk to the folks in Killarney (and the GAA) about which one! Keep an eye on our website or www.oldvelos.com for more. In the meantime we might hold some get together spins but meanwhile I'm training for Paris Roubaix - which brings me back to another fixed gear. Brendan

20720050462_6b6b5ec8a3_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I'll just throw this out there.
    Would people ride a sportive if there was a 'Old Velo Section' added.
    I was lucky enough to ride the Gran Fondo Roma in October and the Old Velo section was a big part of it. They rode a 60km route with alot more cobble sections than the standard 60km.
    Are you happy to ride the standard routes or do you want a route with roads that resemble the roads that might have been used in the past.
    It would be interesting to hear your views as adding a section to one of our club events would be easier than starting from scratch.

Yes, I would certainly participate.

I'm not too keen on the idea of using rough old roads though....old wheel on bad roads!s are hard enough to find and maintain without making flitters of them

Hi again,

The challenge for what has become www.oldvelos.com is that all our previous cycles like the Shay Elliott 50th Anniversary, Laochra na Laoise I,II & III, the Giro Expo Run and the Tour of Conamra were unofficial which is all very well until somebody falls off. On the other hand the Vintage International Classic was run as an official Cycling Ireland event supported kindly by Killarney CC (and sponsored by Randles Bros Nissan Dealers).

Perhaps those runs in the future should be seen as club style spins with riders simply having their CI insurance?

I think the idea of having vintage sections amongst regular sportives add some fun, challenge and colour. I'm on for the old roads, you'd be surprised what an old bike can hold up too!

Esroh, did you have any particular event in mind?

Cheers,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

give me a vintage racer any day

I'll swap you one for a camper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Zippe

Or am I adrift, alone, in a sea of carbon on my raft made from 531, SLX and duralinox? :)

Anyone who knows what the hell I'm talking about will know old bikes! ;)

After years of restoring old VW's (Mk2 Golfs and Jettas, mostly) I've finally copped on that the cost of restoring a bicycle costs a fraction of restoring a car!

And takes up less space.

And takes less time.

And loads of other positives!

This is something I love, I have a few old birds hidden away,I like to buy up old group-sets and frames over time and build the up,I have few ideas of builds at the moment just waiting for bits to come up, some bikes I'll prob keep and some I'll move on later on at some stage, I don't use them for winter, I have a dream of building a big man cave that I can display my bike in, I would love to see a vintage road bike sportive, these bike are sun shine bikes only, I've planed on turning up for the Sunday spin with one but never got to do it,one day !!

Zip,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I am involved in running a charity cycle in late March. It's a Lap of Lough Ree for the RNLI and it's a very flat 85km route. I would be happy to run a classic and vintage bike division if there was interest. I could look at putting up a few prizes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarge10

It's great to see the enthusiasm for the old and classic steel. The craftsmanship and attention to detail on some of the frames is a joy to behold. For all of you budding restorers and wannabee vintage steel bike riders out there (Reynolds, Columbus, Vitus, etc) I can't highly recommend enough,to get involved and follow our very own homegrown- Oldvelos. The rides are great fun with a great bunch of like minded people.

I can't post any pictures directly on this site as I haven't reached the 25 posts mark yet but you can see a lot of my ever expanding collection of steel here. I can't even post a URL so if yu want to see them just google - sarge1019 flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Raleigh Team Panasonic.
    used to race one 'back in the day' .......Loved that bike !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement