Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else here into old racing bikes?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

greenspurs wrote: »
    used to race one 'back in the day' .......Loved that bike !!

I started out touring on it's poorer cousin the Team Cadet. Managed to get a 2nd hand Road Ace when I got into racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 athlone Sean

have a late 80s harry hall 531c and early 90s 531 holdsworth. just something about steel frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Howya Lads
    I'm still ripping at not being able to partake in "The Real Ring of Kerry" but life got in the way !! Lochra na Laoise and Connemara I really really enjoyed ... Permission is provisionally granted for Kerry this year and I intend to ride down hopefully...

I have a few in the shed alright.. My 2 highlights this year were Ride Surrey 100 on closed roads on my 1983 Vitus 979 Duralinox, 12 speeds GP4 mavics and tubs with a mixture of Shimano 600 and Sachs Huret... The English were more than complimentary - My other highlight was getting a call on a Saturday night looking for a cyclist to do a Triathalon as part of a team. Its only 20kms they said... Salthill to Furbo and back... and its tomorrow morning at 8am !!

Well I rode like it was 1988 on my Peugeot 531pro .. as hard as ever I had ridden in a very long time... ! I managed to clock 35:17 putting many a TT bike and rider to shame....!!

Riding an old bike is different.. Its the feeling you get of it. You are keeping a bike on the road that captures a moment in time. You ride in a group and somebody will say " I used to race one of those". There is a bit of a trend now for converting old steelies into fixies or kitting them with modern equipment... The concours purist would say that is sacrilege... Im a different thinking... Its either that or a good frame gets binned never to see the road again ...! I have rescued a 1986 Peugeot Triatalon from a skip 3 years ago .. forks were bent but thanks to Eamonator I now have suitable forks but no time .. I will get to it this winter ........

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hopster

Hi guys dont know if tread is still open . It make great reading I'm a huge fan of steel myself bringing me back to my teenage years working in the LBS and doing a small bit of racing so I came across a brian rourke 653 with pretty much a full DA 7400 group on it paint was tatty but lovely got it home and all started from there I have added a TVT carbon tubed alu luged frame with 7400 again .olmo competition with full nurvo record group large flange hubs on gp4 rims stunning bike.chesini built on campy group delta breaks and veto wheels also stunning .colnago thecnos art deco on DA7700 group and easton wheels .f moser 51.151 original campy group pantoed 51.151 . P.D.M concorde .Bianchi in Celeste colours group is a mismatch but will be sorted at some point two giant cadexs one on 105 and one one 600 tri colour .gazelle on 6400 group raleigh road ace on 600 with the black design etched into it .vitus 992 on a full 6500 group set stunning bike aswell .concorde giro on 6500 group .fonderest on an exage400 group.rossin on full campy advati group .I have a few frames aswell 1972 mercian looking for first gen DA group for this one.another chesini and Bianchi . battaglin .dollan .trek 5500 .all so a few mtb two full raleigh dynatechs need restoration and a dynatech frame claude butler mtb complete nice old one to .cannondale lefty mtb and voodoo dejab ti mtb I use the colnago for most of my sportives at the moment but am currently in the process of building a custom wittson frame with sram red etap on it haven't decided on wheels yet but have a set mavic cormina ultamas that could go one it yet .so ya i might just quilifie for this thread would love to get pics up but won't be let I'd say so any event going on vintage wise would love to show some of them off at an expo etc

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Jebus Hopster, that's some post!

Speaking of which, I have a Dura Ace 7400 Seatpost for sale if you're ever looking for one!

• Advertisement

Ha ha, Finally someone worse than me.
    That's some collection

Thanks guys ya a nice collection indeed not all Minters now but not to bad a shape either would like to add a few more to it maybe a eddy m. De rose. Faggin .steel battaglin the one i have is alu and a few more like that maybe an older colnago mexico maybe will wait and see .parts are getting expensive for them now though. forgot to mention i have a brian rouke tt frame im going to restore and put a 7400 group to match the road bike but will need handbars 650 wheel etc for this one will need paint first though

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Well Hopster, we have good news, there's a support group for the likes of us! Steel, chrome, campagnolo, need help? See www.oldvelos.com or for people in need of deeper assistance see our facebook page or join the OldVelos Cyclists Page. Next OldVelos event is on June 24th in Celbridge. We're here to help!! Cheers, Brendan

14170629954_8aa5609c55_z.jpg

Worst group photo ever.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what counts as old these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Anyone have a 531 fork with 205mm steerer that they're willing to part with so I can rid myself of my eBay special? :(

Hi Brendan
    Meet you before at the what Eliot rum from the beehive a couple of years ago .Went on oldvelos sent a mail about event in Waterford would like to attend and maybe show some bikes I know there not as old as some of the bike but nice all the same I think anyway what the one in Cellbridge can't seem to find out much about it dont have a Facebook acc might be under pressure for that one as I'm away to do the ring of Kerry the wk after might not get a visa to go

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Cheers Hopster,

There's an even nicer group pic from that one Tax Man!! Here's the info for the 24th of June - there's also a thread from a few days back.

OLDVELOS CYCLE & EXPO JUNE 24TH CELBRIDGE, CO. KILDARE
    (in aid of Gemma Kearns medical treatment in Mexico)

Start time 11am at the Bike Hire Shop at Castletown House. All
    welcome (and especially those involved in OldVelos!). Donations of €20 adults (€3 u-16) will go straight to Gemma's fundraising. 45km route will take in local tow paths and quiet roads. For more about Gemma see https://www.gofundme.com/2jt88rw

For more about OldVelos see www.oldvelos.com or https://www.facebook.com/OldVelos/

That's great Brendan Alex mailed me back regards event in Waterford looking for pics of bikes I gave him a list of what I would like to bring down no pics as of yet of them .Im also trying to rustle up a few guys for Cellbridge I'm not 100% yet but would defo like to surport if I can at all might bring the moser for that one i think is there an official oldvelos club or how does it work .ken

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My race bikes from years gone by were Tommasini and Concorde...ah the golden years!
    While I liked Concorde, Tomasini are possibly the most beautiful bikes I have ever touched.
    calistro wrote: »
    My '85 Vitus 979 Duralinox. Don't get out on it as much as I'd like. Finding it hard to get replacement white aero hoods if anyone has any info.
    If I find out where you live, I may steal that bike and hide it in my bed, she is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

what counts as old these days?

pre 1987 for l'Eroica

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

I'd like to drop down and lend my support, probably unable to cycle because the clan will be with me. I've an interest in steel frame bikes. Love em !

Advertisement