Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live for Dundrum and ifsc commute...?

Options
  • 23-11-2015 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So looking for some advice, myself and my partner are looking to move to Dublin. I need to be able to get to Dundrum and he needs to get to the ifsc neither of us have a notion where we should look that will suit us both to a degree...any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well luas line runs from dundrum to stephens green so anywhere along that would make for easy access to dundrum. Budget would be an important consideration here really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The Dublin forum might be a better place to ask. I'm sure a mod would move it if you pm one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If you want to access both the IFSC and Dundrum by public transport I can think of three options;
    a) somewhere on the Green Luas Line
    b) somewhere that the 75 bus serves between Stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire (check the 75 route map on Dublin Bus website)
    c) Dun Laoghaire

a) The Green Luas is great (stops in Dundrum) and goes to Stephens Green. The walk from Stephens Green (the end of the Green line) to the IFSC is about 2km. If your partner doesn't mind a 2km walk down very busy streets to and from the Luas line, then it's a good option.

b) Alternatively, you could find somewhere on the 75 bus route between Dun Laoghaire and Stillorgan (so Stillorgan, Deansgrange, Monkstown, Dun Laoghaire and a few smaller places in between). The 75 bus goes through Dundrum and the same bus stops between Stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire also serve the 46a bus route which stops on the quays about 5 minute walk to the IFSC.

c) Dun Laoghaire has the DART (which goes to Tara Street/Connolly station near the IFSC) and has the 75 bus (read above)

Obviously there are loads of other places where one of you could get two buses or a bus and a Luas etc, but these are the 'direct' means that I can think of.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kittun87

If you want to access both the IFSC and Dundrum by public transport I can think of three options;
    a) somewhere on the Green Luas Line
    b) somewhere that the 75 bus serves between Stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire (check the 75 route map on Dublin Bus website)
    c) Dun Laoghaire

a) The Green Luas is great (stops in Dundrum) and goes to Stephens Green. The walk from Stephens Green (the end of the Green line) to the IFSC is about 2km. If your partner doesn't mind a 2km walk down very busy streets to and from the Luas line, then it's a good option.

b) Alternatively, you could find somewhere on the 75 bus route between Dun Laoghaire and Stillorgan (so Stillorgan, Deansgrange, Monkstown, Dun Laoghaire and a few smaller places in between). The 75 bus goes through Dundrum and the same bus stops between Stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire also serve the 46a bus route which stops on the quays about 5 minute walk to the IFSC.

c) Dun Laoghaire has the DART (which goes to Tara Street/Connolly station near the IFSC) and has the 75 bus (read above)

Obviously there are loads of other places where one of you could get two buses or a bus and a Luas etc, but these are the 'direct' means that I can think of.

Hope this helps!

That's great thanks!!! I don't mind driving to Dundrum my hours are sometimes unsociable so public transport doesn't always work for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Kittun87 wrote: »
    That's great thanks!!! I don't mind driving to Dundrum my hours are sometimes unsociable so public transport doesn't always work for me...

No problem. Dundrum is a bit of a nightmare for parking (if it's not the usual few hours for shopping). Estates are an option but residents can get a bit grouchy (had a few run ins years ago) so just suss out where you'll park way in advance if you don't have allocated parking with the new job.

If it's the case that you drive and location isn't too important, then anywhere along the 7 (slightly further away), 46a route or 145 bus route (most common morning buses) or DART line for your partner will bring him to the quays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Personal Issue, so moved to Dublin City South

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The walk from the green line Luas to the IFSC isn't inconsiderable. It's probably 20 minutes minimum to IFSC house, 25-30 mins for Mayor Square for instance. Obviously many people happily walk that distance every day, but for example getting an apartment in Cherrywood right by the station and taking the LUAS to Stephens green and walking would be an hour and a half commute. Getting an apartment in Belarmine (Stepaside) for instance, you could have a 20 minute walk to the luas, and a 30 minute walk on the far side. As I said, not impossible but throw in some rain etc and you have a nightmare.

Based on this I'd be more inclined to move to a place that suits getting the IFSC, and allows you to drive to work. I'd be looking at the N11 (busses 145, 46a and potentially 75) or the Dart if you want to live on the Southside. If you could get an apartment around Stillorgan area you could both take public transport. The 145 to Westmorlen Street gets you about 10 minutes closer to the IFSC, and the 75 could swing you to Dundrum handily enough. You could drive it in ten minutes off peak.

By 2017 that green line luas will be a great option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

this is a bit of a clunky but if you persist with it, great website for checking public transport options:

http://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/

i love cars, love driving, but find vehicular commuting stressful, and would love if i had a job that paid well and I could take a single mode of quality public transport to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

errlloyd wrote: »
    The walk from the green line Luas to the IFSC isn't inconsiderable. It's probably 20 minutes minimum to IFSC house, 25-30 mins for Mayor Square for instance. Obviously many people happily walk that distance every day, but for example getting an apartment in Cherrywood right by the station and taking the LUAS to Stephens green and walking would be an hour and a half commute. Getting an apartment in Belarmine (Stepaside) for instance, you could have a 20 minute walk to the luas, and a 30 minute walk on the far side. As I said, not impossible but throw in some rain etc and you have a nightmare.

Based on this I'd be more inclined to move to a place that suits getting the IFSC, and allows you to drive to work. I'd be looking at the N11 (busses 145, 46a and potentially 75) or the Dart if you want to live on the Southside. If you could get an apartment around Stillorgan area you could both take public transport. The 145 to Westmorlen Street gets you about 10 minutes closer to the IFSC, and the 75 could swing you to Dundrum handily enough. You could drive it in ten minutes off peak.

By 2017 that green line luas will be a great option though.

Somewhere along the 14 bus route would be helpful too - it operates to/from Dundrum and passes along Amiens Street.

Advertisement