Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Elective

Options
  • 23-11-2015 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

hi all,
    im in stage 3 science now and thinking of doing french for my semester 2 elective. I've done it for the leaving cert and got a B1 so i was wondering what French General purpose 4 is like in terms of difficulty and what the written exam is like (tried to find past paper but none)? Also, just wondering if anyone has had experience with French Science and Engineering 5 (LANG20060). Cheers:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

hahahahahahahahahah NO
    I'm doing it this semester and I'm really regretting it xD Theres so many exams like there's a midterm listening, midterm written, christmas oral, christmas listening and christmas written. However I have to say that it isn't crazy hard like its pretty much the same level as leaving cert french. I really love French and went into it so enthusiastic but it was a real let down tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

AlfaJack wrote: »
    hahahahahahahahahah NO
    I'm doing it this semester and I'm really regretting it xD Theres so many exams like there's a midterm listening, midterm written, christmas oral, christmas listening and christmas written. However I have to say that it isn't crazy hard like its pretty much the same level as leaving cert french. I really love French and went into it so enthusiastic but it was a real let down tbh..

ah yeah i knew there was going to be all sorts of mid terms, aurals and orals involved but since it's pretty similar to leaving cert standard i should be ok. For the final exam have you's gotten to see any past papers or what are they like, is there essays or grammar or reading comp's?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

ah yeah i knew there was going to be all sorts of mid terms, aurals and orals involved but since it's pretty similar to leaving cert standard i should be ok. For the final exam have you's gotten to see any past papers or what are they like, is there essays or grammar or reading comp's?

yeah found one past paper theres reading comprehensions, grammar fill in the blank type things and an email or some other essay I think? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I did it last year. It's about leaving cert level but with the crazy grade scale in the applied language center you'd want to have a very good leaving cert level to do fairly well.

Bit disappointed with the content but it was handy having a full module out of the way for final exams. I'd give it a go if you're willing to be enthusiastic and aren't expecting too much. I was doing French in Alliance Francaise on Kildare Street once a week while i had the module and I found that so much better and more enjoyable too.

Advertisement