Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor security light

Options
  • 23-11-2015 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

I have a Philips SNK70 corner mounted security light that has given up the ghost (capacitor and ballast is fcuked) My local electrical wholesaler says that that model is gone off the market and and are offering me a Philips "Malaga" type light.
    I have looked on line for reviews of this, and it is more of a street light suited to be pole mounted on an 8/10m high column rather that on the corner of a domestic dwelling. I probably wont throw out much light at that height.
    Is there a different brand, equivalent to the SNK70 that give off good light all over, rather than being directed to the ground only? has to be corner mounted covering a gable and back of house.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Anyone have any ideas on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Czhornet wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas on this?

Everbody is moving towards LED so you might struggle finding a suitable replacement.

Can you not just replace the faulty control gear?

Hoagy wrote: »
    Everbody is moving towards LED so you might struggle finding a suitable replacement.

Can you not just replace the faulty control gear?

Thanks Hoagy,

The LED options are normally forward facing so they do not cover a large area (in need 270' coverage if corner mounted) most LED's will give 180' at most. Both the Capacitor and ballast are totally different to the ones that are currently in it, so i was thinking of a replacement rather than retrofitting odd parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

get a separate outdoor motion sensor eg:

http://www.steinel.net/Outdoor-Motion-Sensors

and then you can put a few LED floodlights just where they are needed - much better job a lot of the time

gctest50 wrote: »
    get a separate outdoor motion sensor eg:

http://www.steinel.net/Outdoor-Motion-Sensors

and then you can put a few LED floodlights just where they are needed - much better job a lot of the time

Would it not be better to have it on all the time rather than when the sensor is activated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Modus Lighting still do a similar fitting

Cesco are the agents for them, your local wholesaler should be able to order one.

About 160 plus VAT.

Hoagy wrote: »
    Modus Lighting still do a similar fitting

Cesco are the agents for them, your local wholesaler should be able to order one.

About 160 plus VAT.

Good man Good man, that's the one. I will order on of them today. Black Friday and all!! Thanks Hoagy.

Advertisement