Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NETGEAR ReadyNAS NV+

• 23-11-2015 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I've a question about this NAS system that I just want confirmation on.

It was running with 4 750GB disks. After reading this online: "Once you’re near capacity with the 4-disk data volume, you can replace each disk one-by-one with larger disks, and your volume capacity grows vertically — all the while your data is still intact."
    I had assumed I could increase capacity by replacing a couple of disks. Which I did when I replaced two of them with Wester Digital 4TB drives. I didn't see an increase in capacity.
    I then came across this: "Can I mix disk models and sizes when installing the ReadyNAS?
    Yes you can, however, please note that the smallest capacity disk will be used to determine the overall size of your data volume. Also, your performance may be limited by the slowest of the disks."

So am I correct in assuming that the first statement meant replace all four disks, one by one? And that I'll need another couple of drives before I see an increase in capacity, when I'm running four identical 4TB drives?

Have I gone over kill with the 4TB drives? Will the system be able to use all the space once I upgrade or is there a limit?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

My first advice is to backup your data before attempting any type of drive configuration /migration /resize.

Then my answer is base don your type of configuration:RAID0,RAID1 or JBOD.
    I mean,what type of drive configuration you have in the NAS, are they mirrored or just insert in and individual one disk to one volume ratio have been created !?
    Can you take a picture of the volume / disks configuration page please.

One way of doing is to run a backup to another drive(s) (if available) and replace at least 2 drives and create a RAID1 in 4Tb size,leaving you with older drives / data.
    Best way,if that will be me,is save / export configuration,backup data,replace all drives,recreate a RAID 0/1/5 ,possible RAID0 on two drives each and a RAID1 on resulted volume and restore data: 4+4=8(RAID0) * 4+4=8(RAID0) = Total size 8Tb(RAID1) with good speed and redundancy.

All mixes of configuration based on the NAS capabilities and the requested configuration/size needed.Don't ignore the hardware redundancy and setup at last RAID1 (mirroring) to protect your data.

Have fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The NV+ goes actually a step further than just RAID. It uses an ingenious patent-pending technology developed by NETGEAR called X-RAID. With X-RAID, you can expand your data volume from one disk all the up to four disks while the ReadyNAS is serving up files. Not only that, once you’re near capacity with the 4-disk data volume, you can replace each disk one-by-one with larger disks, and your volume capacity grows vertically — all the while your data is still intact. And best of all, you data volume can keep growing every time larger disks become available. No other NAS in its class has this type of future-proofing concept, period.

So now that you’re convinced you need X-RAID, let’s take a look at what you can do with the NV+.

Its their own bespoke thing. Acts similarly to my software raid by the sounds of it. Once one drive is 750GB it will act like 4x 750GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, it's in Xraid. Initially I added the first two 4TB one by one and then it copied the info to the new drive each time.
    I've gone ahead and bought two more 4TB drives so I'll do the same again and add them one at a time to replace the remaining two 750GB drives.
    Thanks for the replies!

I've noticed something else. The first two 4TB drives and the one added today seem to be showing up as 1678GB. Is this something to do with me not formatting them first? Is that the max it will allow each drive to use for some reason? Obviously as I don't have all four in yet I can't see what the total capacity will be.

3mGffEl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

And this is the point where you unfortunately learn to do your homework before whipping out the credit card I suspect*:

Link
    The limit is 2TB disks for your NV+ (v1 - silver chassis). Please choose disks from the compatibility list.

See:
    Date first available at Amazon.com: July 7, 2004

This is an 11yo unit, it came with 250GB drives. 4TB disks weren't a thing when it was engineered.

*Assuming V1

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's the one I have I think. Oh well. I'll just get 4 x 2TB drives instead and use the 4TB on a newer NAS.
    Thanks for the reply ED E.

All four drives in now but it's telling me that I still only have 2010 GB total space. Same as before I upgraded any of the drives.

Advertisement