Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor experience

Options
  • 23-11-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

Can anyone confirm the following- I have moved into a new build on an established estate. Phone line is istalled but not activated. I want to take out sky broadband and they are saying eircom have to register my landline on the national database. That seems fair and I understand so called eircom today who said I have to take out a 12 month contract with them? Can eircom do that? They are the only supplier to activate and register nationally, I don't mind a small fee to activate of required but anything more than that binding me intone contract is surely wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

UKLad wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone confirm the following- I have moved into a new build on an established estate. Phone line is istalled but not activated. I want to take out sky broadband and they are saying eircom have to nregister my landline o the national database. That seems fair and I understand so called eircom today who said I have to take out a 12 month contract with them? Can eircom do that? They are the only supplier to activate and register nationally, I don't mind a small fee to activate of required but anything more than that binding me intone contract is surely wrong?
    Hi UKLad

I have not yet come across that odd explanation of "registering the number on the national database" - this is untrue and I can explain further:

Ultimately the route to follow here is to contact the provider you wish to connect to and place an order. If this is not with eir then the provider takes your order and contacts eir at a wholesale level and the installation or reactivation is arranged however your chose provider is responsible for updating you with any progress on this.

I have seen cases and heard from others that your chosen provider does not have this existing wholesale agreement with eir (and can only take over existing service) - although that's something you will need to raise with them.

If a line is ordered through eir directly a 12 month contract is indeed applicable and must be agreed to before service is provided. Early termination or transfer of this to another provider will incur an early cancellation penalty of the cost of line rental (€25.78 x the number of months left in the contract).

I hope this clarifies this for you

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement