Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vectoring near to the exchange

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭sat matt

It's happening alright

I checked the line at the homeplace just now and I see it jumped from it's cap of 70mb to 81mb at exactly 8.30 this morning. I'll make the call and hopefully get it to 100

EDIT - By "checked the line" I mean I checked the actual sync speed and logs on the router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

No change here yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Local exchange vectored here, MRO1_E01 (Murroe Co Limerick)

Line check results for Garda Station beside the exchange, open-eir map not updated to reflect the increased speed.
    DSL Enabled: Yes - 24 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 24 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 100 MB

LLU Enabled: No

Another telephone number I checked previous to vectoring was at 25 MB, since vectoring now at 30 MB.

No change here yet.

Scratch that, the local garda station beside the exchange is now showing this Fibre Enabled: Yes - 100 MB

Now the line checker is showing 50 instead of 40 for my speed. WHOOP!!!

Delighted

Just got 2 exchange connected lines back at home cranked up

One was at 70/20. Vodafone bumped it to 100/20 but the SNRM on the upstream was just a shaving below their safe limit of 10db even though the router says a max of 125/23. Settled for 90/20 so a good enough result considering it's not even my broadband!

Another slightly longer line was at 50/15 and is now singing happily at 60/20

Just confirming more than anything that exchange vectoring is happening. Just to advise too that neither Vodafone's HG658c or the eir F1000 GUI's show if vectoring is enabled. You can dig it out through telnet however

Viva la vectoring :)

Took a few minutes :)

6016735193.png

Absolutely delighted. In the middle of a small village.

I'll point out my attainables didn't change, all that did was the linechecker showed 50 instead of 40.

Weird one, I got the 50/15 profile pushed through

6016683462.png

The upload is correct but the DL speed is the same.

Wifi or wired?

This is wired at a sync of 90. I'm gonna push them for the full 100 for curiosity

6016725534.png

Port Details Upstream / Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.479 Mbps / 92.155 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 9.5 dB / 17.4 dB
    Transmit Power: -17.4 dBm / 14.4 dBm
    Total Attenuation: 4.6 dB / 10.8 dB
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols / 30.0 symbols
    Attainable Data Rate: 22.344 Mbps / 124.641 Mbps

sat matt wrote: »
    Wifi or wired?

Wired, it's showing the correct speeds now I updated above, took a router restart. The bump is pretty significant for me, very happy!

Your line attenuation is very good, the exchange must be close by.

Wired, it's showing the correct speeds now I updated above, took a router restart. The bump is pretty significant for me, very happy!

Your line attenuation is very good, the exchange must be close by.

Well done and good result! On the line above the exchange is just around the corner from them

I'm seeing very good results across a number of lines that were a bit shaky previously. Well done Huawei. Them chinese sure do make good broadband gear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 BarrysLife

were all exchange lines vectored today or something??? i really hope to push my 50mb up a bit

BarrysLife wrote: »
    were all exchange lines vectored today or something??? i really hope to push my 50mb up a bit

Probably not all exchanges but many up and down the country appear to have gone vectored over the Christmas

Type your number in to the Digiweb line check and see what comes back

http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Can we get the names of the exchanges getting vectored, so we can get some idea of the numbers that this is occurring on, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

There's a thread over on the Vodafone forum regarding very poor upload speeds the last few days.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057698764/3

Mine has dropped from 20mb up to 0.90mb.

I'm connected to a cab roughly 600m away and the exchange is about about 2-3 km away from the cabinet.

I'm not sure how this could have an impact on none exchange fed lines but it started around the same time.

Maybe lots of people got a good bump in upload speed which has saturated some core router somewhere... but then again most people download not upload.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks Cork.

This is a worthwhile topic to keep an eye on as it could cause big problems going forward.

Copy/Paste from the other EVDSL thread.
    ED E wrote: »
    So I(we) was way off the mark. Problem isnt vectoring(and LLU) or ER-ADSL being degraded by VDSL. Its VDSL on VDSL. Dont have time to try and summarize 50 odd pages of technical reports, but I think this quote really puts it all in perspective. Bold is mine.
    Originally posted by ED E

TNO has performed studies showing this mutual impact: VDSL2/Ex(eFibre from the exchange) will have
    negative impact on VDSL2/Cab(eFibre from cab, what we mainly have now) in the upstream direction and VDSL2/Cab will have
    negative impact on VDSL2/Ex in the downstream direction. These studies are
    company confidential and therefore not public. (  )

Source: ComReg1550a.pdf

They've got the go ahead to roll out EVDSL, as soon as they satisfy comreg as to what they'll do to prevent issues and deal with those they do see. Considering the amount already launched I suspect Topology 1 (direct fed nowhere near a cab) has been totally let loose, but Topology3 (Direct Fed DPs near to cabs) is on hold. Thats why you can have eVDSL "Launched" in an exchange but only a handful of lines allowed to order it currently, the rest are blocked by cabs in the surrounds. 

Fascinating read(god  this is me), great to have some explanation, but it also means its more complex to answer the question "I live at X, can I get it/will I get it?" as there are now a lot more factors involved. I'm hoping this will push eircom to begin network re-arrangement to take lines out of the "danger zone" and simplify things. Great progress none the less, onwards and upwards!

Might move technical talk over to here as to be on neutral grounds. If any Eir, Sky or Magnet customers are seeing this please chime in!

My understanding of that post is that evdsl could be completely to blame for our drop in upload speeds, right ?

If this is the case openeir better have a good rollback plan in place.

I do think we need some sky/eir/digiweb customers complaining before we can stop pointing at Vodafone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From a quick scan:
    BT’s proposal to allow EVDSL if the nearest cabinet is further than 700m from the exchange is not accompanied by an impact analysis.

For example,when the Cabinet is at 1000m with a DP close to the cabinet (see chapter 2), we see non-negligible risk of negative impact. [ADSL]

--

The impact on CVDSL and how often cabinets are “out of VDSL range” can only be
    quantified when both scenarios are well defined in terms of topology, loop lengths,
    technology mix, frequency allocations, details on vectoring, and cable
    characteristics. Quantifying the impact was out-of-scope for the current evaluation.

Eircom lab tests*
    Eircom’s lab tests contain results that support the qualitative analysis in chapter 2.
    Specifically they illustrate:
    - The double coupling mechanism (13 12 06) Proposed Changes to CLFMP Iss 6
    (11th Dec Forum)
    - The splitter’s low pass filter (14 02 05) EVDSL-CVDSL Interference_r2 (update
    circulated 6th Feb) [Is a copy of this public?]

*However, these lab tests cannot be considered conclusive..

[TLDR from ED-E] No other countries studied mix EVDSL/CVDSL like we do. We're the reckless nutters on the west of the continent playing hot potato with a grenade.

Their conclusions from the SKS and WTD cabs were good enough but thats when eVectoring(my own shorthand) was off. With it on they'd have had to come back.

Update:
    From scanning comregs pubs there have been no further documents released regarding eVectoring but these things often have a 6month lag.
    While looking it was interesting to see they nearly sued Vodafone for non compliance and Eircom(OpenEir) got a spanking for failing their SLA promises. This is why we need an overlapping GPON footprint.

I had a brief 100% loss of packets in flight (to France at least) at 1.00am and since then my upload is running at full speed again (no sync loss or reboot)

Advertisement