Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB shoes you can run in

Options
  • 23-11-2015 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Anyone use or know of MTB shoes that you can run in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hard one to call.

What running (how much) are you thinking of? How much MTB? Is it possible to switch shoes or are you on and off all the time?

Generally MTB shoes to be effective are stiff and less likely to be comfy running or using trail shoes on MTB gives comfort running and slightly less power output on the bike. I've a pair of Louis Garneau MTB shoes which are grand for marching or trekking not the nicest yokes for running in. Have also done tons of MTB on flats with trail shoes.

There is a balance point, but not sure where it is TBH

Edit: what do cyclocross racers use?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

AKW wrote: »
    Hard one to call.

What running (how much) are you thinking of? How much MTB? Is it possible to switch shoes or are you on and off all the time?

Generally MTB shoes to be effective are stiff and less likely to be comfy running or using trail shoes on MTB gives comfort running and slightly less power output on the bike. I've a pair of Louis Garneau MTB shoes which are grand for marching or trekking not the nicest yokes for running in. Have also done tons of MTB on flats with trail shoes.

Was thinking that it would be a good solution for Duathlons, so say 5k runs.
    I'd be surprised it such a thing exists in a decent enough form that but you never know, there'd be a market for it you'd imagine.

Nah.

Look at any of the duathlons and people switch from their bike shoes to running shoes for a reason.

Off road duathlons I'd go flat pedals with trail shoes and maybe a toe strap on the pedals. No market for it really as to get the power output from the shoes you need them stiff which won't work for the run. Diminishing returns from either a fantastic bike and poor run or a reasonable bike and great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Hard one to call.

XC MTB shoes for cyclocross usually. Short runs in mud are ideal conditions for them.

On topic, I've done long enough trekking/running stages in well chosen MTB shoes. Some of them are good enough, certainly for proper AR purposes anyway. I actually like running in stiff soled shoes, so don't have too much of an issue with them. Getting something with good enough all-round trail grip, and not too heavy, is the hard bit. But there are some out there that aren't too bad. I like the Shimano MT range such as this. These are my current non-winter AR shoes. My teammates have something even more runner-like, but I can't remember what they are!

Enduro - those Shimano look very 'runnery' have they a midsole plate? Might have to give them a go.

I got these in the summer, great on the bike but quite stiff. Fine for trekking (you can wind football studs into the front for extra grip on soft ground) but would not run too far in them - like Frankenstein lumbering along. :)

louis-garneau-carbon-ls-100-road-shoe.jpg

Re the teamies shoes are they with SPD too?

• Advertisement

Enduro - those Shimano look very 'runnery' have they a midsole plate? Might have to give them a go.

I got these in the summer, great on the bike but quite stiff. Fine for trekking (you can wind football studs into the front for extra grip on soft ground) but would not run too far in them - like Frankenstein lumbering along. :)

louis-garneau-carbon-ls-100-road-shoe.jpg

Re the teamies shoes are they with SPD too?

Yup, they are indeed. There would be shootings otherwise :)

I usually find the ones with stud fitttings are too bikey and not runnery enough (I love these new terms we make up... my favourite from last week was someone describing a valley as "jaguary" :)).

I think the Shimanos probably do have a midsole plate, but I'm not sure. Currently sitting wearing MT90s, which are my winter commuting shoe/boot, and prefectly fine for walking around all day in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I did a Leaving Cert type revision of everything out there during the summer. Ended up not pulling the trigger on any :rolleyes: Seems the top options are the Shimano MT series or the Pearl Izumi X Alps. I haven't tried either but interested to hear if anyone has tried both?

@Enduro - The MT90s are they boots? What did you use for the ARES?

@AKW - yes there will be SPDs or shootings next summer too Chief

I did a Leaving Cert type revision of everything out there during the summer. Ended up not pulling the trigger on any :rolleyes: Seems the top options are the Shimano MT series or the Pearl Izumi X Alps. I haven't tried either but interested to hear if anyone has tried both?

@AKW - yes there will be SPDs or shootings next summer too Chief

Hey I'm the one who's gone through the slow-motion-falling-into-a-river initiation process with the SPD's, What's keeping you? ;)

Yup, the MT90s are essentially proper hillwalking boots that happen to take SPD cleats. In my old hillwalking days I would have been perfectly content to stomp around the hills in these. Too heavy for anything but short distance running though. However they are the most effective MTB shoes/boots I've found for dealing with Irish winters. Feet and toes have been grand in them even when used for a full days MTBing in cold snowy weather (everyone else seemed to suffer).

Used the Mavic shoes linked above in ARES this year. They were good. Went for one or two long bike pushes with them without a bother!

Advertisement