Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S6 Edge PLus or Note 4?

• 23-11-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

My phone (Note 3) is up for a new contract and Im looking fora new highend smart phone (ANdroid). Im happy with Samsung. From reading around it seems I wont be able to buy either of the new GOogle Nexus phone from the main phone shops in Ireland, and also it does n ot seem that the Note 5 is for sale through the likes of VOdafone or Three, so it seems to be down to eihter the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus or the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, any recommendations or feedback on either phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Depends on what's important to you.

Speed and smoothness of the UI goes to the edge plus. It has the latest gen Samsung octa core chip and 4gb ram, so will be quicker than the Note 4 which I think is sold here with the snapdragon 805. Also the touchwiz UI is scaled back so doesn't lag which the Note 4 out of the box has been known to do.

For camera the Edge plus again. Better sensor then the note 4 and generally better pics in low light. However the note 4 is still a good shooter.

For screen quality, they are both very good but it has to be the Edge Plus which has a newer super amoled panel.

Build quality - The note 4 is aluminium frame and plastic back and the edges of the frame which are chamfered scratch very easily. Even putting it in and out of an official Samsung case scratches it. This is why I ditched the note 4. The edge pus is glass front and back and aluminium frame and I believe on the edge plus and note 5 they went with 7000 series aluminium. It doesn't pick up scratches easily but be warned that some s6 edge and edge plus owners have noticed small air bubbles or wrinkles under the glass in very bright light. Seems to be a product of the manufacturing process - when the curved glass is attached to the curved plastic substrate via a transparent glue, it's the curve that lets in tiny bubbles. This actually annoyed me so much I got rid of my edge plus also. heheh.

Sound quality - about the same. crap mono speaker but plenty loud. However if listening to music via headphones matters the Edge plus has a slightly louder headphone output and I feel the dac is slightly better than the one included on the note 4. So edge plus has slightly better headphone quality.

Removable battery and upgradeable storage - Edge plus does not have this, so if this is important go for the note 4.

S pen functionality - again only available on the note 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks, that is excellent feedback, exactly what I was looking for.
    I would be edging (hah) towards the Edge after reading your feedback!

banjobongo wrote: »
    thanks, that is excellent feedback, exactly what I was looking for.
    I would be edging (hah) towards the Edge after reading your feedback!

No bother mate. Do bare in mind the Note 4 has the interchangeable battery though and you can expand the storage. The S6 Edge plus has none of these and the one sold in shops is only the 32gb variant. The 64gb is much more expensive though amazon.it I believe offer the best price. Still significantly more than the Note 4. I probably would have kept my Note 4 to this day only for the crappy chamfered edges which scratched up after 2 days (as did the replacement and the replacement after...lol)

I'm going to risk a Nexus 6P next I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The Sony experia z5 looks pretty fantastic, especially the premium model. I'm using a note 4 myself at the moment and whilst it's a fantastic device and I love it, I don't find it a massive leap from my note 3. Possibly because that itself was such a fantastic device. The improvements in smartphones have definitely become more incremental in the last few years. There's really not much difference in upgrades these days

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Hi I'm in the same boat. Which phone did u go for and are u happy with it

• Advertisement

Hi I'm in the same boat. Which phone did u go for and are u happy with it

I havent got around to doing anything about it yet!

I bit the bullet and went for s6 edge plus this afternoon ,Although a bit more expensive. I thought; the note 4 is a year old and if getting it on 24 month contract it might not last the test of time .

Now the wait for delivery .....I hope I am not disappointed.

I bit the bullet and went for s6 edge plus this afternoon ,Although a bit more expensive. I thought; the note 4 is a year old and if getting it on 24 month contract it might not last the test of time .

Now the wait for delivery .....I hope I am not disappointed.

great, well done, thanks for the update and I would LOVE to hear waht you think of it after you have used it for a few days!
    WIll you be getting a protective cover for it?
    cheers adn thanks!

looking at the spigen neo carbon gun metal

great, well done, thanks for the update and I would LOVE to hear waht you think of it after you have used it for a few days!
    WIll you be getting a protective cover for it?
    cheers adn thanks!

Hi just to let you know received s6 edge plus today, i am very happy with , it looks very nice . well designed . only thing is it feels back to front with the curve on the front ., but that would not put me off.

• Advertisement

thanks blackplum123 let meknow what you think of it after a few days hands on use but from the reviews on other websites everybody seems to think its great!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pokeraladin

I just went from note 3 to edge plus...dam the edge 6 is some phone. The qhd screen is amazing and not the mention it's amazing curved. And quick charge makes up for non removable battery..and just ordered my Samsung gear vr consumer edition...can't wait

Hi just to let you know received s6 edge plus today, i am very happy with , it looks very nice . well designed . only thing is it feels back to front with the curve on the front ., but that would not put me off.

so how are you getting on now with the new phone?
    Out of interest, I know it has Gorilla glass, I dont know how strong that is, I see from reviews that its not a phone you can get a case for, if thats true and you drop it, that Gorilla glass had better be very strong!

so how are you getting on now with the new phone?
    Out of interest, I know it has Gorilla glass, I dont know how strong that is, I see from reviews that its not a phone you can get a case for, if thats true and you drop it, that Gorilla glass had better be very strong!

There are dozens of manufacturers selling cases for the edge and edge plus. Check amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement