Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get an MacBook/MacBook Air

Options
  • 23-11-2015 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Since my laptop broke a few years ago I haven't replaced it but really miss the stability of one in the house. Only thing is I have no idea of specifications/ram or gb could anyone give me an idea of what would be best to get or any special offers out there at the moment. I used my old laptop for storing photos and general web browsing but was hoping to do a bit more with a new model.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

What exactly do you want it to do? Macbooks in general are very expensive unless you need them for a specific task.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Ant695 wrote: »
    What exactly do you want it to do? Macbooks in general are very expensive unless you need them for a specific task.

Basically just watch movies, web browsing, uploading pictures, online shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Would you consider a (cheaper) MacMini?

It's all the power of a mac, at a cheaper price. you just need a monitor (your TV) and a keyboard/mouse.

It's all the power of a mac, at a cheaper price. you just need a monitor (your TV) and a keyboard/mouse.

Oh I think it would be awkward using the tv there are too many things plugged into it already!! The reason I was going Mac as I have iPhone, Sky Tv, iPad and thought i would be as well to stick with Apple.

Oh I think it would be awkward using the tv there are too many things plugged into it already!! The reason I was going Mac as I have iPhone, Sky Tv, iPad and thought i would be as well to stick with Apple.

• Advertisement

pinkstars wrote: »

No real need to stick with apple unless you want to. For what you have described a windows laptop would more than suffice at a fraction of the cost. Unless you have the disposable income and want the mac I wouldn't bother.

I mean Apple TV

No real need to stick with apple unless you want to. For what you have described a windows laptop would more than suffice at a fraction of the cost. Unless you have the disposable income and want the mac I wouldn't bother.

Well I have a little diposable income alright but if it's cheaper to go with the Windows laptop I might go with that.

Well I have a little diposable income alright but if it's cheaper to go with the Windows laptop I might go with that.

Any amount of them and will be an awful lot on sale in the run up to xmas. Main things to keep an eye on is minimum 4gb ram and a decent size hdd for storing photos, music videos etc... and either an i3 or i5 processor.

After that it comes down to personal preference over screen size etc... some like big screen and don't move it around too much but others like smaller for portability.

• Advertisement

But I WANT an Apple Mac argghhhhh I'm like a spoilt child. Think I'll go cry in the corner now.

But I WANT an Apple Mac argghhhhh I'm like a spoilt child. Think I'll go cry in the corner now.

It's your money if you want a mac you can certainly buy one. I'm just pointing out that for your purposes you don't NEED to spend that kind of money on a laptop. Wanting a shiny new toy on the other hand is different altogether.

It's your money if you want a mac you can certainly buy one. I'm just pointing out that for your purposes you don't NEED to spend that kind of money on a laptop. Wanting a shiny new toy on the other hand is different altogether.

I think it's merely the shiny new toy I really want!

I think it's merely the shiny new toy I really want!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

No more unhelpful posts. Stick to the topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CarolynSmith

Then you should go for it. Yes, they cost a bit more but are worth it. The solid state hard drive makes all the difference - beautiful machine - I love mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

If you really want the Macbook go for it. For your intended use you would be fined with the most basic version. All you need to decide is which screen size.

Thanks for the recommendations! If I could ask advice just one more time would I be better going with the Air/Pro etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Thanks for the recommendations! If I could ask advice just one more time would I be better going with the Air/Pro etc?

Just been there myself...

Pro has better display and it's a little faster, too. Air is lighter and a bit sleeker looking and has a better battery life. Both are 'luxury' machines for just a bit of web and Word and such.

I wouldn't buy the Air now, better wait for the 2016 model with probably a better screen. I like the Pro but if the Air had a retina screen it would be a tough decision.

If it has to be a Mac and you're really only a light user in terms of CPU power and such your best bet is probably just the Macbook. Its smaller again 12" and has the retina screen. Also still quite powerful. It also comes in gold and gunmetal I think. :pac: I find it quite small tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Honestly, there is no sense in anybody giving you advice on this as ANY of their laptops will do what you want, if all you want is a pretty machine then go into an apple store and buy the prettiest one in the shop but with their lowset spec for that machine.

• Advertisement

Well what do others use their laptops for!?!?

Video editing, photo editing, gaming, streaming, coding........ for what you have stated, you could probably just get a keyboard and some cloud storage for your ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

You are Apple's ideal customer. Marketing, marketing, marketing..

For the tasks you've listed, a Windows machine is more than enough. Coming up to Black Friday you'll get an i5 for less than €600 and a decent i3 for less than €500, both have 2tb hard drives and 8gb ram so plenty of power and storage.. Keep your money for other things.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/hp-15ac151sa-156-laptop-silver/335170/401.10

http://www.currys.ie/Product/hp-15ac152sa-156-laptop-silver/335184/401.10

or, if you want the Windows equivalent to the Macbook Air, try one of these for €600 less than Apple's equivalent;

http://www.currys.ie/Product/hp-envy-13d061sa-133-laptop-aluminium/335085/401.0.0

brand new 6th gen i5, 8gb, 256gb ssd, QHD 3200x1800 IPS screen. 10 hour battery life, thin and light, Bang and Olufsen audio.

you may find these even cheaper online.

Windows 10 is good but usually on inferior hardware, the Mac Book Air is a well built machine and Apples OS is really good.

Have to say I highly regret getting another dell, got a 2 in one a year ago and it's falling apart, you wouldn't believe the build quality, absolutely horrendous ! never, Ever again and this is my 3rd Dell Laptop. It cost 700 and boy am I mad I didn't pay the extra 500 Quid and get the Macbook Air !

500 quid is 500 quid and a lot of money if you haven't got it but you will have no trouble selling a mac 2nd hand or ipad etc and getting decent money for it shouldn't be a problem either.

I love my Ipad Air and usually an Android fan but Android isn't as polished and the apps are usually not as good, nor the games as good or the graphics etc, Android is great for most people who just want a phone or for a tablet that doesn't cost a lot but I think in 2017 I will ditch Android and go back to iphone when Iphone 7 comes out, what turned me off Iphone was the tiny screen size.

Apple is expensive but it gives a great user experience, a well built product (usually) with a high resale value.

You can get windows laptops with high spec high res screens but they'll cost as much as the mac so why bother ?

This is pretty much an unbiased review because I have both Android, Ipad and Windows 10 and no doubt at all the Apple is worth the money , however if you haven't got the money or could never justify the extra cost then Android and Windows will do the job just fine.

Another thing about storage, Don't store photos or anything important on your laptop, especially if you take it out of the house a lot, use encryption and above all back up in the cloud, the cloud is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Couldn't agree with you there on Dell build quality, I have mine for about 5 years and it's going strong after a few upgrades. Their current XPS 13 is gorgeous too, nicer than a MacBook air imo (smaller and lighter too). It's also the same price or more expensive, though with better processor, screen, more RAM and bigger SSD. Also has a touchscreen if you're into that. Overkill for watching movies and browsing tough.

EGriff wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with you there on Dell build quality, I have mine for about 5 years and it's going strong after a few upgrades. Their current XPS 13 is gorgeous too, nicer than a MacBook air imo (smaller and lighter too). It's also the same price or more expensive, though with better processor, screen, more RAM and bigger SSD. Also has a touchscreen if you're into that. Overkill for watching movies and browsing tough.

The last Dell I had didn't fall apart but it had over heating issues. So that makes 3 Dells a disaster. never again !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm guessing you'd want the macbook to be new?

if not, you can get some good deals on eBay for second hand ones that will have more than enough spec for what you need, obviously you have to be aware with anything you buy from eBay,

in the past I've bought a Powerbook G4, iMac G5 & iMac (intel) all from eBay and they've all been fine.

Have to say I highly regret getting another dell, got a 2 in one a year ago and it's falling apart, you wouldn't believe the build quality, absolutely horrendous ! never, Ever again and this is my 3rd Dell Laptop. It cost 700 and boy am I mad I didn't pay the extra 500 Quid and get the Macbook Air !

Inspiron 7000? if so I have the same 2 in 1, Keyboard is good with no sagging in the middle, hinge is still strong build quality is overall solid apart from the soft finish which has rubbed off a little in the corner's. So I can imagine if you don't look after it that it would look a little rough. Mine is used daily and has plenty of miles under its belt.

On a side note, check in mmc if your model has an eDellRoot certificate as it is a current security issue, if so use only firefox for https sites until it gets sorted.

ScottStorm wrote: »
    Inspiron 7000? if so I have the same 2 in 1, Keyboard is good with no sagging in the middle, hinge is still strong build quality is overall solid apart from the soft finish which has rubbed off a little in the corner's. So I can imagine if you don't look after it that it would look a little rough. Mine is used daily and has plenty of miles under its belt.

On a side note, check in mmc if your model has an eDellRoot certificate as it is a current security issue, if so use only firefox for https sites until it gets sorted.

Yeah inspiron 13 inch 7000, absolutely appalling build quality. The screen comes apart from the bezel it's held in with useless clips, the left hinge is broken and I had to disable the touch screen because of Ghost touching issues which is a rampant unsolvable problem.

This stuff is all made by Foxconn but obviously Dells quality control is rubbish they obviously don't care about their image as much as Apple do.

I have resisted getting a Macbook for years so no one can call me an Apple fan, though I do have the Ipad Air and love it, I'm seriously thinking about selling the now pretty much worthless Dell and taking the plunge and getting the Macbook.

When I think about it , at the time the Dell cost about 700 Euro's and I had already got my own SSD which would have cost about 1 K at the time in total if i got the dell with an ssd which wasn't even an option another 200 Euro's would have got me a Macbook Air which would have lasted me a lot longer than 1 year without falling apart.

I also look after my stuff and didn't mistreat the laptop, the Ipad is still perfect.

I'm even strongly considering the Iphone 7 next year when it comes out and ditching Android altogether, yeah Android is good but not nearly as good as ios.

• Advertisement

Yeah inspiron 13 inch 7000, absolutely appalling build quality. The screen comes apart from the bezel it's held in with useless clips, the left hinge is broken and I had to disable the touch screen because of Ghost touching issues which is a rampant unsolvable problem.

I also look after my stuff and didn't mistreat the laptop, the Ipad is still perfect.

The faults you are describing all sound related to rough handling of the screen thus damaging both screen and hinge.

If that's not the case then you must have got a dud,because there is no way that my screen is coming out and my hinges are solid also no issues with the touch screen you probably should have sent it back when under warranty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement