Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get an MacBook/MacBook Air

Options
2»

Comments

ScottStorm wrote: »
    The faults you are describing all sound related to rough handling of the screen thus damaging both screen and hinge.

If that's not the case then you must have got a dud,because there is no way that my screen is coming out and my hinges are solid also no issues with the touch screen you probably should have sent it back when under warranty.

As I said I don't mistreat things that cost a lot of money, 3 Duds. Must be unlucky.

The Gost touch screen problem is a massive problem that Dell didn't fix, unreal and makes the laptop pretty much a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go visit a local Curry's or similar computer shop and see/handle the various laptops.
    Any laptop can do what you need, according to your previous posts.

Any laptop can "do the job" but it's about how it does it is important, to me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Any laptop can "do the job" but it's about how it does it is important, to me at least.

Yes, but the job requested of this laptop is already adequately performed by the op's ipad. OP just wants to spend money on something shiny.

€1000 for a macbook air or €1500 for the entry level macbook or pro (as per apple website) to watch youtube! Op has more money than sense as do all apple users not using the machines in a professional capacity. I have nothing against that; they can buy what they want but asking advice is ridiculous because all sensible advice would be against buying those devices for the intended purpose.

Also you truly are mad if you think macs don't give people any issues. I would have at least a tenner if I was given a euro for every disgruntled mac user who gave out to me about the service from apple when a hardware issue arises, which is at about the same frequency as with any other similarly priced laptop or pc (our inspiron 13 7000 would be one model lower, the xps 13 would be a macbook air competitor imo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

pinkstars wrote: »
    I think it's merely the shiny new toy I really want!

That it is. I acquired a MacBook Air a year or so ago. It still looks as new and works as well as it did first out of the box. In terms of aesthetics, to me at least, it takes some beating. Its construct and lightweight feel add to the positives.

It depends on what OS you prefer though. If you want it because it's Apple and premium looking then do that. But that said it will also serve you more than sufficiently for what you mentioned you need it for. Mine has. I bought it primarily out of a curiosity for this OS and a change from Windows. I didn't expect it to be a multi-tasking, gaming behemoth of a laptop but what it can do it does it very well.

That all said, the Windows system suits my needs a lot more which is why I have a beady eye on a Dell XPS atm. The MacBook Air is great but to me it's also resides in that group of pretty but expensive bit of novelty (okay, not really) tech.

• Advertisement

Find me a windows laptop with similar specs that's cheaper ? that doesn't have a crap 1366 x 768 screen ?

Look at the Lenovo Yoga 3 !

Macbooks aren't that mental a price as people like to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Find me a windows laptop with similar specs that's cheaper ? that doesn't have a crap 1366 x 768 screen ?

Look at the Lenovo Yoga 3 !

Macbooks aren't that mental a price as people like to think.

I already linked you one.

The HP Envy 13, €999 in Currys.

http://www.currys.ie/product/envy-13d061sa-133-laptop-aluminium/335085/401.0.6?&

13.3" Quad HD IPS screen (3200x1800)
    6th gen i5 processor
    8gb RAM
    256gb SSD
    Bang and Olufsen audio
    Thin and light
    10 hour battery
    .. And it still has all the ports you need, unlike the newest Mac with a paltry 0 USB 3.0 ports! (Only a USB C port which no one uses anyway)

There's an i7 variant for 1199 also.

I own one, and it is a fantastic machine.

Buy it from HP UK directly and you can get it for around €900.

Cheapest Mac equivalent I can see is the Macbook Pro 13-inch at €1699. And that's using an older processor.

The HP is a nice laptop , the macbook Air has USB ports, you're talking about the new "macbook"

The air only has 4GB ram.

At this stage I think I would give the Mac os a go after having used my brothers macbook Air and the Ipad over another windows machine.

Having said that a decent keyboard and the Ipad would suit me most of the time but I still need a proper OS so at this point in time I need to have a Windows or Mac so I'll have to stick to my crappy Dell for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

But I WANT an Apple Mac argghhhhh
    I think we have arrived at the centre of things :)
    That's fine of course, if you want one and can spare the money by all means go ahead.

If a second-hand laptop will do check adverts.ie and donedeal.ie, or perhaps a place in your town will sell second-hands with warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

But I WANT an Apple Mac argghhhhh I'm like a spoilt child. Think I'll go cry in the corner now.

A true victim of the Apple masterclass Marketing team. Love it!

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    A true victim of the Apple masterclass Marketing team. Love it!

I doubt it, Apple OS and ios are good, the hardware is part of it.

I'm speaking as a windows user and Androis but having ios on the Ipad.

Windows does the job but there are people that prefer a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Quote from the OP:

"Basically just watch movies, web browsing, uploading pictures, online shopping!"

Nothing wrong with it of course - I've an iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. It's just funny really. The thread starter writes it like a teenage girl!

Prefer a bit more? Mac OS limits everything. You will not be able to find a more open-source OS than Linux and Windows!

You said it yourself, you WANT a Mac. Do you need it? No. But go ahead if you have the cash to throw away.

As a user above rightly said, you're the perfect victim to Apple's fantastic marketing tricks.

I don't think there's much more to be said on this thread. OP clearly wanted a Mac from the start. I recommend the Apple devices forum in future, lots of people there gushing over the next copied "innovation".

What's the want V need ?

Others want V need windows so what's the difference ?

Most people could get away with Ubuntu or Android as their daily browser if that's all they want.

imo ios and OSx is worth the money to a point, 2800 for a macbook pro is silly money. Then again you can pay silly money for an Alienware or Asus gaming rig too .

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

What's the want V need ?

Others want V need windows so what's the difference ?

Most people could get away with Ubuntu or Android as their daily browser if that's all they want.

imo ios and OSx is worth the money to a point, 2800 for a macbook pro is silly money. Then again you can pay silly money for an Alienware or Asus gaming rig too .

If you are paying €2800 for a macbook pro and using it for intensive video editing that is fine, it's paying €1000 for macbook air to watch youtube and go on boards.ie that is idiocy (excessive luxury).

Plus anybody that pays for an Alienware gaming rig is also overpaying and most gamers would suggest building a better rig for far cheaper.

If you really want your next laptop to be an apple then hat's off to you but don't fool yourself into thinking they are superior by virtue of the brand.

And your "prefer a bit more" comments do sound like you are a marketing victim of the highest order. If you don't feel this then please let us know that the bit more is? Aluminium?

ScottStorm wrote: »
    If you are paying €2800 for a macbook pro and using it for intensive video editing that is fine, it's paying $1000 for macbook air to watch youtube and go on boards.ie that is idiocy (excessive luxury).

Plus anybody that pays for an Alienware gaming rig is also overpaying and most gamers would suggest building a better rig for far cheaper.

If you really want your next laptop to be an apple then hat's off to you but don't fool yourself into thinking they are superior by virtue of the brand.

And your "prefer a bit more" comments do sound like you are a marketing victim of the highest order. If you don't feel this then please let us know that the bit more is? Aluminium?

The "bit more" is that Apple logo on the back. He'll look so cool in cafés.

Not at all into looking cool, I've my own mind and I buy what I choose, may I point out again that I have a windows 10 laptop and Android, and the Ipad is a very good device.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Lol I'm actually nearly 35! I think I've decided against it for now. I have only gotten the iPad Air 2 and there's another iPad Air in the house. Found myself spending more time on my iPhone 6+ last few days and can't see how I will spend time on a laptop. Thanks for your time everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Plus there is an iPad mini on the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

well congratulations :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

FFS

Lol happy days, they're great devices and I wouldn't part with my old IPad Air for anything, can't wait for iPad Air III.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: I think this thread has run it's course. OP, I have moved your new thread to the Apple Devices forum where it is better suited.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement