Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start-up funding, large equity in home, no job

Options
  • 23-11-2015 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking to fund a start-up using equity from my home. I have not had it formally valued but expect it to be €1.3-1.5M. Existing mortgage is €75k. Quit job 2 years ago so now banks will not touch me in terms of releasing some of this equity.

Any ideas on how I could release €100k ?

thank you
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

If the banks won't let you mortgage against it then hard to see how else you can release some of the equity. Have you actually applied or just assuming they won't? When I did that they were more than happy to give me the money and I was re-mortgaging for 50%!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Under present banking rules, cashflow/income/capacity to repay are the primary key lending factors. Family home security is the least valuable to a bank. You might have a chance buying an existing business that can support the repayments but with a startup and no income, you have little chance. I would imagine you only option will be to trade down and release equity that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Yes, without the steady income stream, I am hosed. Are there alternative lenders for this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Have a look at this blog by the guys in Bullethq.

http://www.bullethq.com/blog/bullets-ebook-how-to-get-100k-free-off-the-government/

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The other pedro is on the money – family home is bottom of the pile for security purposes (always was). There are some lower tier lenders out there, mainly bottom feeders. Their rates are very high and not people you should consider as appropriate to have a charge on your family home. If you are really keen and fully believe in your idea, sell the home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement