Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank account type for sole trader?

Options
  • 23-11-2015 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Quick question for the experts here.

For a sole trader, is it required that your bank type must be a business account, or can you use a separate personal account for sole traders?

I ask as the fees are crippling me as my turnover is enough to get by, but i'm not raking in the big bucks by any means.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

danny1986 wrote: »

For a sole trader, is it required that your bank type must be a business account, or can you use a separate personal account for sole traders?

I ask as the fees are crippling me as my turnover is enough to get by, but i'm not raking in the big bucks by any means.

Thanks in advance.

No requirement from Revenue etc. so avoid business bank account as best you can. A simple deposit account with bank of Ireland for example in your own name is fine, minimal fees but you won't be able to get a cheque book, overdraft facility etc. and not sure about debit cards.

You can use online banking to pay most supplier these days anyway.

Eventually if there is a lot of money going through the account expect them to cop onto you so you may need to move to another bank after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 speedytyper

Thanks in advance.

I would advise the same, I'm a sole trader too and the form for a business bank account was enough to turn me off. have a current account set up in the company name and attached to my own personal online banking account so everything is there in front of me when I log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Thanks in advance.

As above and your bank should advise you the same. When I set up with AIB I just asked for a business account and its what they suggested its my name t/a business name would hope the other banks would suggest the same. It still works out at around €170 a quarter so not like its cheap but I do have a lot of transactions going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I'm a sole trader and use a personal account and deny everything with the bank. When they cop on ask them to call back later, you'll hear nothing for another 6 months. Repeat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you use a credit card check out AIB's platinum card it gives you back 0.5% cash back monthly handy if you use the credit card a lot.

I'd echo the other posters with AIB, just get a personal account with a business name on it. It's save you having to use AIB business site for your accounts and will be cheaper starting off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 danny1986

Thank you all so much.

This is great to know. Really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 imaginne

Hi all , im a new member here,

looking for advise, i have gone self employed as a sole trader, i registered a business name with CRO rather than my own name,

im registered revenue when i sent my TR1 form i said i was trading in a business name i did this before registering with CRO,

the letter from revenue letter of registration confirmation for self assesment, header is addressed as my real name
    below that says T/A my business name followed by my address.(so if i dont have a business bank account, do i need to change this)

my paypal account is in my business name, ( can i transfer my income from paypal to a personal current account which is in my own name,?

my page and ebay are my business name and paypal linked,

can i continue using my business name for all the above and use my current bank account in my own name,

i read the posts above about having a personal bank account but using business name, i cant figure how that can be done, surely the bank will push a business account on you?

appreciate any input,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

imaginne wrote: »
    i read the posts above about having a personal bank account but using business name, i cant figure how that can be done, surely the bank will push a business account on you?

Some banks may try to push a business account. If they do, say 'no thanks I'd like to open a personal account'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You can get a T/A account from the bank.. company name T/A joe bloggs, its still really just a personal account rather than a business account. You will be able to lodge cheques into it made out to either you or the business names. You are better off having an account just for the business, its easier to track money coming in and out and makes life handier when sorting out your accounts and keeping track of things. If you run it through your personal things can get messy very quickly.

Axwell wrote: »
    You can get a T/A account from the bank.. company name T/A joe bloggs, its still really just a personal account rather than a business account. You will be able to lodge cheques into it made out to either you or the business names. You are better off having an account just for the business, its easier to track money coming in and out and makes life handier when sorting out your accounts and keeping track of things. If you run it through your personal things can get messy very quickly.

thanks for your reply, may i ask what is T/A ?

• Advertisement

thanks for your reply, may i ask what is T/A ?

Trading As

So if your name is Fred Dunphy and your registered business name is Imaginne your bank account would be

Fred Dunphy T/A Imaginne

Graham wrote: »
    Trading As

So if your name is Fred Dunphy and your registered business name is Imaginne your bank account would be

Fred Dunphy T/A Imaginne

im learning , every little helps lol

thanks

Trading As

Fred Dunphy T/A Imaginne

real name T/A business name

thanks

Trading As

Fred Dunphy T/A Imaginne

real name T/A business name

thanks

i shall go ahead and try this,

was having a nightmare yesterday filling online application,

had to select 1 of 2 options,, business premises own or rent, well i don't have business premises and my online business registered at home which is rented accomodation and not commercial, so at the end of the application it brought me more problems for doccuments they want in relation to renting business property, solicitors letter ect
    its a real headache lol

i was wondering how this affects the debit card on online application asks what you want on your debit card, obviously there isn't enough room on it to show real name T/A business name, do i just select real name for this ?

and how does this effect business cards/ invoices / pay pal ,web site name ect, can these just be left as the business name?
    well im thinking they can be left as i read that any payments either to business name or to real name can be lodged into bank account,

sorry if im a pain but just want to be sure i know what i am doing and get it right,

thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

So if you're using the personal account to buy things for the company revenue wouldn't be too happy with that.

i was wondering how this affects the debit card on online application asks what you want on your debit card, obviously there isn't enough room on it to show real name T/A business name, do i just select real name for this ?

On the debit card you'll just have your own name.
    and how does this effect business cards/ invoices / pay pal ,web site name ect, can these just be left as the business name?
    well im thinking they can be left as i read that any payments either to business name or to real name can be lodged into bank account,

Invoices, receipts, business cards etc should all be Real Name T/A Business Name
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    So if you're using the personal account to buy things for the company revenue wouldn't be too happy with that.

A separate bank account just makes it easier to identify (and account for) business purchases. There's no specific requirement to operate a separate account.

On the debit card you'll just have your own name.

Invoices, receipts, business cards etc should all be Real Name T/A Business Name

A separate bank account just makes it easier to identify (and account for) business purchases. There's no specific requirement to operate a separate account.

Thank you Graham for your help

im online now using my online banking with ulster bank, i have an existing joint account there,

applying from the online banking for a current account, it doesn't give me the option to name a new account as (real name T/A business name,) as its using my real name from my existing account with no option to change it,

do you think this will be ok, without the T/A business name ? as long as i have no business named cheques to pay in,

or should i visit another bank like AUB

do you think this will be ok, without the T/A business name ? as long as i have no business named cheques to pay in,

There's no legal issue with you using a non T/A personal account, talk to your bank as they may let you change the name on the account after it's opened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

im online now using my online banking with ulster bank, i have an existing joint account there,

applying from the online banking for a current account, it doesn't give me the option to name a new account as (real name T/A business name,) as its using my real name from my existing account with no option to change it,

Just visit your bank and get the forms and tell them you want an account setup T/A. Will take you a few minutes to fill the form in and you will also be able to find out any offers they have for new accounts etc for that purpose.

There's no legal issue with you using a non T/A personal account, talk to your bank as they may let you change the name on the account after it's opened.

i have gone for opening the account as of online, and will call at bank at some point to see what they can do for name change

Advertisement