Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android box €100-€159

• 23-11-2015 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi lads, posted this on another thread for a bit of advice, said I'd create a topic on here, I need to get my sister something for streaming TV (more than likely kodi), she's abroad and I'd given her my old android box which has now given up the ghost. Budget of between €100-€150, I'd be comfortable enough setting it up myself if required, I think 2gb Ram 16gb ROM and lollipop would be best for longevity, any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I'm in the market for the exact same thing, so I'd be interested in knowing what you go for, and hearing peoples opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

I got the Minix 8h Plus and a remote on adverts for 165.
    It seems to be the best one out there at the moment and can run 4K videos easily so it's future proof for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BandMember

There's an entire thread full of recommendations already! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057446012

If anyone happens to spot a good black friday bargain on an android streaming gizmo, I'd appreciate a heads up. I see amazon have a roku stick but I get the impression they are not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i have the cenovo mini pc which is dualboot android and windows. it's a great piece of kit and works very well. i previously had an M8 which was very good also.

If you're buying these for other people though, be aware that things are changing fast and the addons are going to be changing at a much greater rate now, due to sheer volume of people using these already. Genesis for one is no longer being updated.

As you're buying this for your sister, you will be the port of call everytime there is a question: "it's not working", "stream keeps buffering", "genesis won't load anymore", "can't find an hd stream" etc. etc. Just be mindful of this as these boxes are never trouble free and always require a little bit of tweaking.

• Advertisement

i have the cenovo mini pc which is dualboot android and windows. it's a great piece of kit and works very well. i previously had an M8 which was very good also.

If you're buying these for other people though, be aware that things are changing fast and the addons are going to be changing at a much greater rate now, due to sheer volume of people using these already. Genesis for one is no longer being updated.

As you're buying this for your sister, you will be the port of call everytime there is a question: "it's not working", "stream keeps buffering", "genesis won't load anymore", "can't find an hd stream" etc. etc. Just be mindful of this as these boxes are never trouble free and always require a little bit of tweaking.

Excellent point. I'd agree that if anyone is buying boxes for friends, they need to prepare themselves for many phone calls.

In my case, I just need a second box for my own house. I bought a matricom g-box mx2/ a few years ago and it's going great. I use kodi for most things, but it's handy to have the android functionality too. I'm just interested in finding out if theres something else out there that I should consider, especially with black friday tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

RonnieL wrote: »
    Excellent point. I'd agree that if anyone is buying boxes for friends, they need to prepare themselves for many phone calls.

In my case, I just need a second box for my own house. I bought a matricom g-box mx2/ a few years ago and it's going great. I use kodi for most things, but it's handy to have the android functionality too. I'm just interested in finding out if theres something else out there that I should consider, especially with black friday tomorrow.

i'd say just check for black friday deals tomorrow on aliexpress and gearb...
    and you should find a good cheap box

Advertisement