Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usage of hand held vhf radio

• 23-11-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi all I'm wondering if some one could answer my question I recently bought a hand held vhf radio icom m25 float and flash as a back up to my mobile phone In case of an emergency and where mobile was rendered useless my question is if god forbid I required help and needed to use the radio for help on ch16 as I wouldn't have a licence or vessel name/call sign or what ever the term is how do I properly announce my emergency. After the may Day x3 times do I just declare my emergency and my position as normal with out a name.
    Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It would be strange if the boat didn't have a name if not give it one :) also state if you are a cabin cruiser, speedboat, fishing boat or sail boat before the name so they know what to look for. If there is not any imminent danger to anybody's life or the boat it's self make a Pan-pan call instead of mayday

slide_39.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

Hi fergal.b and thanks for reply it's a small boat that i have for leisure use iv not put any name on it cause i though it would have to be registered or some thing like that but it's only a stepping stone to a proper leisure boat some time in the future when the kids are older some thing like an Orkney strikliner I'm gathering all the bits now that il need for safe boating in the future. That's great I can use pan pan instead of mayday for a lesser emergency. I saw an earlier post of yours with the proper emergency call layer out. So there is no problem naming a boat ? And can the name go from boat to boat?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi fergal.b and thanks for reply it's a small boat that i have for leisure use iv not put any name on it cause i though it would have to be registered or some thing like that but it's only a stepping stone to a proper leisure boat some time in the future when the kids are older some thing like an Orkney strikliner I'm gathering all the bits now that il need for safe boating in the future. That's great I can use pan pan instead of mayday for a lesser emergency. I saw an earlier post of yours with the proper emergency call layer out. So there is no problem naming a boat ? And can the name go from boat to boat?

We shall call her "stepping stone" :) no need to register her. the name would normally stay with the boat as it's bad luck to change ;) but there can be two boats with the same name.

Do ya know fergal.b your on the ball but I think il leave it as I plan to sell it come the beginning of the year it's a lake boat and I'm hoping it will move to a new home fast it was alright for starting off and not so bad on the open sea weather permitting and sea condition it's not that I'm mad in to fishing I do enjoy it but I love just going for a spin about and I want to do it as safe as possible hence my buying a few bits of safety gear next up will be a flare kit .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You and the boat are meant to be registered, but never hesitate to use the radio immediately if there is an emergency for you or another boat.
    The coastguard will immediately respond to the situation and are easy to talk to. A few years ago, I contacted them and directed the helicopter onto a beach with a handheld, while on a caravan holiday. I wasn't even on my boat :) Of course it will depend on where you are and the range of the radio.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I would strongly advise OP that you do a Short Range Certificate VHF course over the winter before thinking about using the radio.
    They are run in various sailing clubs / watersport schools frequently (especially over the winter) and will give you exactly all the info you'll need to correctly operate a radio when in an emergency or distress.

Looking in to the vhf course may get it done before the end of winter but I'm in no rush cheers lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yeah, legally you need a licence and with that you get a callsign. In reality though, nobody will ignore a distress call on 16.
    Familiarize yourself on the difference between mayday and panpan, and also filing a plan and ETA with your local station.
    You should also learn off the phonetic alphabet as a minimum.

I have come across a few people that have been afraid to buy a vhf because they haven't got a license or haven't done the course but i feel that every boat should have one, your mobile phone will only connect you to one person but the vhf will connect you to all the boats around so don't be afraid to use it if you think you are in trouble, the courses will help how quick help will come, the more information you give them the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Ferris

Also SAR can use a VHF transmission to locate a casualty via a radio direction finder.

I did a VHF course years ago, it was really interesting and worthwhile. A must really if you spend anytime on the water.

• Advertisement

If you do want to do a course you can check out this site to see when the next one is on near you http://www.vhf.ie/ there is also helpful info in the online tutor worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I did my VHF radio course years ago with David Gerrard from Bray, www.seacraft.ie.
    He is very good.
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

JamesM wrote: »
    I did my VHF radio course years ago with David Gerrard from Bray, www.seacraft.ie.
    He is very good.
    Jim.
    +1

Manages to make what is a fairly boring day very interesting and entertaining.

Some great info lads thanks I'd say more than likely il do one its no load to carry as they say and it might benefit some one else besides myself
    Thanks agen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭BowWow

Notice the OP says its a lake boat - would a hand held used on a lake have much chance of being picked up?

BowWow wrote: »
    Notice the OP says its a lake boat - would a hand held used on a lake have much chance of being picked up?

Most of the big lakes now have a lifeboat station actually I think lough Ree had the most amount of callouts last year also you have sailing clubs, dive clubs,coast guard,marinas, hire boats and most of your day to day cruisers will have VHF so there is a good chance someone will pick you up.

no reason not to have a vhf on a lake boat and use it if your mobile phone is not working for what ever reason better than nothing my vhf is to be used at sea as I live on the coast and I use a bourke built 19 ft x 5ft anglers fancy lake boat for spinning about the bay and some fishing it was a boat I picked up handy and great for one person launch and retrieve. It's used in mild sea condition as a spin about.

Advertisement