Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech G920 - €244.99 @ Currys.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but is the G920 @ €250 still considered a good deal these days? Had a quick look on Amazon.co.uk/fr/de and they're all more expensive even ignoring shipping.

G920 seems to have gotten good reviews.

Initially I plan to use it with the Xbox One & WheelStand Pro but see it also works on PC which is handy. I only have a Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel & pedals (got it back in the PS2 days) - saw Doge's GIMX thread but that's too much hassle for me. :D

Cheers.

/Edit: I know Black Friday is coming up but no guarantee it will be reduced further.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The T300 and T500 are better wheels if you can get one at a similar price,worth mentioning the T300 pedals are not up to the quality of the wheel itself but you can use pedals from other sets I believe.

Thanks for that. Not sure those wheels are compatible with the Xbox One though. Had a look at some reviews on Inside Sim Racing and I'm not sure about the G920 now, nor the TMX. Might see about saving up for the TX leather edition, see if it comes down in price a bit. :)

Just for anyone that might be interested - Currys have knocked €50 off the G29 and G920 wheels, down to €199 now. They'd qualify for free delivery too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Just got this one on Saturday - if you are in Dublin, the Liffey Valley PC World / Currys has a stash of both the G920 (XBOne) and the G29 (PS4) for 199.99. The Logitech Website still has it at 409.00, the cheapest I could find it on Amazon was for 238 USD - add shipping and the inevitable customs sting, and it's gonna go way above 300. Not sure why they're selling them so cheap, but not complaining :)

I got the G920, it's fully PC compatible (the G29 is as well) and I plan on getting an Xbox One in January. Opening the box, the quality "feel" is very good - lots of metal, everything moves fluidly and the feeling is that of a very sturdy product. The wheels itself is covered in real leather and, funnily enough, has such a range of motion lock to lock that it travels more than the one in the Alfa parked downstairs :D

Amazingly, between the week end cleaning and the Formula 1 race, I only managed to put it to the test last night for about 2/3 hours, using F1 2016 which was the only driving game I had "ready to go".

The first thing I had to do was tinker with the game's wheel settings - needless to say, the G920's full steering range is way too high for a Formula 1 car; I was able to easily compensate using the in-game settings, to a point where the angle the physical wheel is mirrors almost perfectly the one on screen. The controls are very smooth and progressive, wheel and pedals alike (to the point that, in the first couple of laps, I actually thought I had TC on - until I decided to floor it coming out of Montreal's hairpin...). The FFB is precise, quick, sometimes fairly forceful but in general conveys grip / surface quite well.

The only issue I had was with the brakes pedal - it uses a peculiar setup where it tries to mimic the actual pressure you need to put on a real car's brake pedal, which is quite a lot; To the point that I pushed myself away from the desk (roller chair...) each time I had to drop the anchor. For F1 2016, I simply switched to using the clutch pedal as the brakes, but in other games where you need the clutch that could be an issue; Also, on a wooden / laminate / tile floor the pedal unit WILL slip due to the pressure you need to exert.

In the end it is a very enjoyable product, I jumped in-game with no difficulties and within the first 30 minutes I was doing more or less consistently the same times (if not better) that I used to do with the pad (although F1 2016 is nearly unplayable with a pad); It's not something I've experienced often with a wheel/pedals game controller, which often require a lot of "adaptation time".

• Advertisement

While I enjoy F1 2016 a lot for what it is its physics engine isn't really suitable for the user to feel the real effects of car physics.
    You will really appreciate it with something like assetto corsa,automobilista,iracing,raceroom,rfactor 2 etc where your wheel will come to life :)

Meanwhile try these settings for F1 2016 if your on pc in the Logitech profiler or control panel.

360 degrees of rotation

Overall effects strength 100%

spring and damper strength 0%

enable centering spring set to 0 and nothing in the tick box

finally tick the box for allow game to adjust settings.

Yeah, I want to try some of these - I never did exactly because I didn't have a proper FFB wheel.

One thing - as I ain't got nearly enough time to get good enough to join any "league" or follow it, nor I enjoy playing online in general with all the "my enjoyment is preventing everybody else from enjoying their time" types around, which one of these would have a semi-decent AI for single player? Something like the AI cars in GP3/4 which actually fought for position rather than ram into you at every opportunity like the F1 201X series opponents do? :D

In fairness most have decent AI but iracing has no AI.

Assetto corsa AI is ok bar the lap 1 corner 1 scenario,in early access it had no AI eventually after many builds the AI is enjoyable enough.

Automobilista AI is a step up from AC but no perfect but no AI really is.

Raceroom AI isn't bad either same for rfactor but I haven't played the latest build of it.

This video came up on my youtube subscriber feed this morning and I thought it demonstrated good AI.

Dcully wrote: »
    This video came up on my youtube subscriber feed this morning and I thought it demonstrated good AI.

Not bad at all, way better than what you see in most modern games. It's absurd that, 15 years after GP4, no game has an even comparable AI to that - not even F1 2016 which should make the AI one of its strong points (reenacting a believable F1 race includes the drivers behaving like they do on track, not being extremely welcoming on your overtake attempts yet absurdly clumsy when it comes not to nudge you from behind in a DRS zone...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you want a game which really benefits with a wheel, try something like Dirt or whatever the best rally game is on whatever platform you use. I had a wheel for the PS3 and played F1, Dirt and Gran Turismo. I think the rally style games with constant steering adjustments even on a straight and counter steering is so much better with a wheel than a controller. It comes way more natural with a wheel.
    So, even if you're not into rally games, if you've invested in a wheel setup, it's a driving style that benefits most from using a wheel imho.

H3llR4iser, it's worth getting a stand of some sort for the wheel. I had a wheel stand pro.
    http://wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro-for-logitech-g25g27-racing-wheel---deluxe
    The pedals won't push away from you, it's really solid and fully adjustable. I used it on a wooden flood and never had a problem with the pedals moving away

Yeah, I'll most likely go for a stand like that one - also has the advantage of folding away, always handy in an apartment.

+1 for the Wheel Stand Pro. I have the v1 version of it and always thought it was great - never moved about on me either. Just ordered the v2 deluxe a few days ago so looking forward to trying it out - looks better built again. Great bang for buck imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

G920, pedals and shifter £150 on currys.co.uk, can't seem to get an order to parcel motel though, anyone know if its possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

the curry's one is gone???, but i picked up the G29, pedals + shifter €200 @ pcworld \ Galway today

Advertisement