Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting a fire by rubbing sticks

Options
  • 23-11-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Has anyone tried this in Ireland , if so which wood is best .Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You need to google fire bow drill that should give you loads of info. Never tried it my emergency method is to have a fire steel handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ahclassbai

my3cents wrote: »
    You need to google fire bow drill that should give you loads of info. Never tried it my emergency method is to have a fire steel handy.

thanks , I have but hardly anything on irish woods which are good for it

ahclassbai wrote: »
    thanks , I have but hardly anything on irish woods which are good for it

You can't see the wood for the trees - always wanted to say that :p

Aspen, willow, lime, hazel and poplar are often cited as being suitable and they all grow here. Not sure if the are all Irish natives? Sycamore is also recommended but I'm sure that isn't native. The fireboard is supposed to be a medium hard hardwood so obviously that rules out beech oak ash and probably birch. From a timber point of view aspen, willow and poplar can be very similar. Another of the softer hardwoods that might be worth a try is alder.

Looks to be some good first hand advice in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055716380

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

isn't meant to be a hard wood base and the spindle meant to be a soft wood? or is it the other way around? :confused:

• Advertisement

sheesh wrote: »
    isn't meant to be a hard wood base and the spindle meant to be a soft wood? or is it the other way around? :confused:

Like so many things its a compromise, I'm only repeating what I have read but many suggest using the same wood for both but I can see the sense in having a harder drill/spindle.

My logic would be that the fire board should be dense enough so that the spindle didn't drill through it before starting to glow with heat. By the same logic if the drill is too hard it might also drill to quickly into fire board.

I've got some willow I cut recently so I'll give it a try, but I intend to cheat a bit and I'll put it in the cookers plate warmer for a month or so to dry it right out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Slightly off topic, but I think this is great :D

Or here for a proper tutorial

http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/bowdrill%20tutorial.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ahclassbai

my3cents wrote: »
    You can't see the wood for the trees - always wanted to say that :p

Aspen, willow, lime, hazel and poplar are often cited as being suitable and they all grow here. Not sure if the are all Irish natives? Sycamore is also recommended but I'm sure that isn't native. The fireboard is supposed to be a medium hard hardwood so obviously that rules out beech oak ash and probably birch. From a timber point of view aspen, willow and poplar can be very similar. Another of the softer hardwoods that might be worth a try is alder.

haha thanks man , Willow is native to Ireland in a few varieties , grows in damp sort of areas.Cool :)

Advertisement