Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixer Upper Kenmare

Options
  • 23-11-2015 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

It seems property prices are probably near their lowest prices.

I live and work in England and have some savings but not necessarily a lot.

Ive been looking at the following in a casual type way as a fixer upper:

Can't post a link but if you look for The Cross Roads, Gortagass, Kenmare, Co. Kerry for 59000 euro on the daft website is the one im looking at ;)

Its been on the market a few months and there hasnt been any offers. Its not a listed property and the rental expectation would be 300/350 a month each apparently.

Now it looks like it needs a lot of work, particularly the smaller cottage. The windows are single glazed, so i think these would need to be replaced with double, and the doors also i think. I think i would dry line some of the walls, and maintain some of the stone wall for the aesthetic. A wood burning stove in the smaller unit along with more modern units and furniture but of a relatively basic but functional nature. I think a lean too in the back would be good as well.

The construction was in the late 1800's. But the roof was done in the late 1990's. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of the type of walls on this house? Are they any good in the long term, do they absorb damp, do they have any insulation pedigree?

For the two cottages there is a Communal bio cycle, does anyone have any experience with these? Are they effective? Can there be any issues with the ground absorbing the effluent, i.e. can there be issues with absorption that might require the bio cycle waste being pumped out?

Does anyone have any knowledge advice of the rental market in Kenmare. Do you think it would be possible to rent out one of the cottages to a single person on a long term basis i.e. 6/12 months for 300/350 a month? And maybe the other one for short holiday stays for couples and tourists and so forth?

All advice appreciated ;)

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As your post is very area specific I've moved it to the kerry forum in hope of you finding some knowledgeable posters

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

I think you're too late!
    If they are the two on the lhs as you come from Kenmare,they are sold,at least someone is doing major work to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BrainOK

i believe they would be from the lhs as you come from kenmare, can you google the following:

daft The Cross Roads, Gortagass, Kenmare, Co. Kerry

should be the first result

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Just checked them out, and it's the other two are being renovated!i.e the yellow and green ones,to the left of those two!!
    However them two (stone faced cottages)were renovated about 6 or 7 years ago,if memory serves!

Advertisement