Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to know if phone is bill pay or not, when buying second hand

Options
  • 23-11-2015 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Can the imei or anything check if a phone is on bill pay to check before I buy second hand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's the sim card that holds the price plan not the phone. The phone can be locked to a network or not though, you won't know that until you try different sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

It's the sim card that holds the price plan not the phone. The phone can be locked to a network or not though, you won't know that until you try different sims.

The phone is listed as.. Replacement from apple and unlocked. Would this rule it out being on bikl pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You've no way of knowing so there is a possibility the phone is blacklisted after you buy it, the newer the phone the higher the possibility, no network will tell you because of data protection laws. The only way you know if your getting the real thing is if it comes with the original receipt and you can cross check with the shop.
    Also make sure it's not icloud locked.
    If the phone is 9mts old plus I wouldn't worry about it being blacklisted after you buy it.
    A blacklisted phone might show signal for a few hours before it stops working so a simple sim check when your buying it might not be 100% proof it's safe.

The phone is listed as.. Replacement from apple and unlocked. Would this rule it out being on bikl pay?

Should have receipts to prove that it's a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Weather or not a phone was purchased bill pay or pay as you go can be important,as if a bill pay customer reports the phone stolen or doesn't pay his bill it could be blacklisted.Is this your concern op?
    I dont think there is any way of finding out by imei.

• Advertisement

You've no way of knowing so there is a possibility the phone is blacklisted after you buy it, the newer the phone the higher the possibility, no network will tell you because of data protection laws. The only way you know if your getting the real thing is if it comes with the original receipt and you can cross check with the shop.
    Also make sure it's not icloud locked.
    If the phone is 9mts old plus I wouldn't worry about it being blacklisted after you buy it.
    A blacklisted phone might show signal for a few hours before it stops working so a simple sim check when your buying it might not be 100% proof it's safe.

I see, he says he has the letter from apple to show it was a replacement...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Should have receipts to prove that it's a replacement.
    No you won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can the imei or anything check if a phone is on bill pay to check before I buy second hand?

You mean sim locked.

You try your sim in it and make a call before buying. If you don't know the basics should you be buying 2nd hand?

beauf wrote: »
    You mean sim locked.

You try your sim in it and make a call before buying. If you don't know the basics should you be buying 2nd hand?

Well thats why im on here asking for advice

I see, he says he has the letter from apple to show it was a replacement... What reasons would a phone be blacklisted for?

Reported stolen by the owner, most mobile phone insurance companies require that as part of the claim the phone is blacklisted with the network.

Customer does not pay their bill, this is why it's dangerous to buy a new or nearly new phone second hand. There's literally gangs driving around the country as well as the ordinary chancers signing up for phones and never paying their bills.

Is that phone on adverts, have they a few sales and their registered a while and can provide the receipt, then it could be safe enough bet. The age of the phone is the one red flag, how old is it?

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    No you won't.

It comes with a packing slip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You can do an imei check to see all the info. It usually is finished the contract contract for the company to have unlocked it to any network.

Google Apple imei check and put in the number. It tells you when it was bought/activated too.

You can do an imei check to see all the info. It usually is finished the contract contract for the company to have unlocked it to any network.

Google Apple imei check and put in the number. It tells you when it was bought/activated too.

None of that information you find online is reliable, it's only estimates.

None of that information you find online is reliable, it's only estimates.

Well I checked the 3 iPhones in my house recently (older ones) and it was 100% spot on. Even the one bought in England was correct in the date and company it was registered with first. It was able to say which ones were unlocked and which were bought as Bill pay.

Really its better then nothing for the op isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Depends on where and who you're buying it off. If it's on adverts check the sellers feedback. Anywhere else and you're out on a limb unless you do the deal at their home address.

Well I checked the 3 iPhones in my house recently (older ones) and it was 100% spot on. Really its better then nothing for the op isn't it?

It couldn't have been, you may have thought it was correct but it wasn't. It should give you the current carrier, wildly inaccurate purchase date, icloud lock active and support coverage status.

Blacklist and Sim lock are not reliable enough to take as gospel from a free online service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Well thats why im on here asking for advice

I just think its very easy to get a damaged, locked or black listed phones. Something that's no apparent till after you get it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Well I checked the 3 iPhones in my house recently (older ones) and it was 100% spot on. Even the one bought in England was correct in the date and company it was registered with first. It was able to say which ones were unlocked and which were bought as Bill pay.

Really its better then nothing for the op isn't it?
    Have you a link?

I just asked him was it on bill pay and he said yeah he has two accounts with Vodafone... I think ill stay away

I just asked him was it on bill pay and he said yeah he has two accounts with Vodafone... I think ill stay away

That wouldn't really mean anything, what is it and how old, have you a link?

• Advertisement

It couldn't have been, you may have thought it was correct but it wasn't. It should give you the current carrier, wildly inaccurate purchase date, icloud lock active and support coverage status.

Blacklist and Sim lock are not reliable enough to take as gospel from a free online service.

It gave me the purchase date that was within a few days, the original carrier, the most recent carrier, if it was unlocked or not and if the contract had expired as well as the last two you mentioned.

I acrtually have a screenshot of one of them, I'll see if I can hide the imei and attach it.

Just post a link to the site where you checked.

Just post a link to the site where you checked.

I can't remember the name of the site and its not on the screenshot unfortunately. I was curious and googled it and used the first one that appeared. I was as suprised as you are tbh.

I can't remember the name of the site and its not on the screenshot unfortunately. I was curious and googled it and used the first one that appeared. I was as suprised as you are tbh.

I'm not surprised, I know they exist what i'm saying is they are some way accurate just not gospel enough to make a purchase decision on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

If an iPhone is a (refurbished) replacement Apple send you an email with the old and new IMEI -always- so there should be proof (not the packinging slip).
    You can't prevent buying a blacklisted phone even by checking, a smart scammer will report the phone stolen after he sells it.
    I've read before (most) phone providers won't blacklist a phone for unpaid bills -the insurance company does, if it's reported lost/stolen- as most people get their insurance through the networks one (network) is often confused with the other (insurance company).
    Only advice in not getting scammed is check feedback (adverts) and buy at someone's home address.
    Note: an original receipt is worthless if the original buyer reports it lost/stolen.

Regarding the email for proof of replacement, I have had 3 iPhones replaced by Apple and only got an email for proof of replacement once after a few months. I needed it to get the phone unlocked because the network said it wasn't on their system so they couldn't request the unlock.

Strange, it would be unlike Apple not to let you know your replacement product has shipped.
    I've had 2 phones replaced so far and both times the shipping notification email with the title "your replacement product had shipped" states the old and new IMEI and states; "Please keep this email. It shows that your product's identification numbers have changed with this repair."
    Since it a shipping notification I guess a lot of people just delete it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 doloYolo

so i bought a iphone on donedeal.. da guy show me the three receipt(my friend said it mite not b genuine receipt).. the fone is locked to three..it has been a week since i bought the fone..should I b worry about the phone getting blacklist after week? shud I go and unlock the iphone(every expansive to unlock three).. Or do u think after a week it cant be blocklist anymore?

doloYolo wrote: »
    so i bought a iphone on donedeal.. da guy show me the three receipt(my friend said it mite not b genuine receipt).. the fone is locked to three..it has been a week since i bought the fone..should I b worry about the phone getting blacklist after week? shud I go and unlock the iphone(every expansive to unlock three).. Or do u think after a week it cant be blocklist anymore?
    It can be blacklisted tomorrow or in a year. There's no time limit on getting it blacklisted.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    It can be blacklisted tomorrow or in a year. There's no time limit on getting it blacklisted.
    <- this and unlocking a phone does not stop it from getting blacklisted, the 2 have nothing to do with eachother.
    As I wrote before the first buyer of the phone can get the phone blacklisted at any time, that's why insurance companies like gadgetinsurance do not insure 2nd hand phones.

Advertisement