Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to know if phone is bill pay or not, when buying second hand

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Chances are an unlocked iPhone will not be in contract as all networks lock them until terms have been met.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

naasrd wrote: »
    Chances are an unlocked iPhone will not be in contract as all networks lock them until terms have been met.

I don't think that's true, Vodafone unlock them after a few months. Also afaik networks do not blacklist phones for unpaid bills. Most phone scams are insurance scams. Person buys phone with insurance, sells it then claims its stolen, gets new phone and buyer of the "stolen phone" has a useless phone.
    There's no original receipt/phone call to your network when buying or anything else that can stop that from happening. The only thing you need is to know who the seller is/where he lives so you can pay him a friendly visit if your phone stops working (and adverts feedback is a good indication of a thrust worthy seller as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

doloYolo wrote: »
    so i bought a iphone on donedeal.. da guy show me the three receipt(my friend said it mite not b genuine receipt).. the fone is locked to three..it has been a week since i bought the fone..should I b worry about the phone getting blacklist after week? shud I go and unlock the iphone(every expansive to unlock three).. Or do u think after a week it cant be blocklist anymore?

Welcome to the forums.

When contributing here, please avoid the use of "txtspk" so that there is no room for confusion.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

naasrd wrote: »

As fly guy said, Vodafone will unlock a phone after three bills are paid. There used to block phones when the bill wasn't paid but don't anymore. I personally know 3 people who got a 5c on three about a year ago and stopped paying the bill and the phones were never blacklisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 doloYolo

i forget to say the iphone receipt show that the phone is prepaid and not bill pay.let us assume the receipt is real. I think for a prepaid phone to be blacklist it has to be report stolen. and it has to be report stolen within 48hours i think. so after a week that i have bought the iphone it has not be blacklist..can it still be blacklist?

• Advertisement

doloYolo wrote: »
    i forget to say the iphone receipt show that the phone is prepaid and not bill pay.let us assume the receipt is real. I think for a prepaid phone to be blacklist it has to be report stolen. and it has to be report stolen within 48hours i think. so after a week that i have bought the iphone it has not be blacklist..can it still be blacklist?

Your thinking is wrong, there's no more or less chance of a phone been blacklisted if it's bill or prepay. There's no time limit to get it blacklisted either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

guil wrote: »
    As fly guy said, Vodafone will unlock a phone after three bills are paid. There used to block phones when the bill wasn't paid but don't anymore. I personally know 3 people who got a 5c on three about a year ago and stopped paying the bill and the phones were never blacklisted.

Sites like Sim-unlock.net unlock iPhones too, regardless if it's a bill pay or payg and as long as it's not blacklisted. I recently unlocked a brand new bill pay iPhone 6s plus with them. And it was a permanent unlock and not a hack. All I had to do was synch with iTunes once the shop emailed me back. Not sure how they do it as it's generally only the carrier who has permission to ask Apple to remove the carrier lock from their database. I suspect these sites 'know' people working inside the carrier who make the request. I chanced my arm anyway as it was only around 15 euro which is cheap for an iPhone unlock. It's always an option for those that are having difficulty getting their carrier to do the unlock for free. I suppose they could always find out about it being unlocked and get it relocked. Not heard of that happening though.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Sites like Sim-unlock.net unlock iPhones too, regardless if it's a bill pay or payg and as long as it's not blacklisted. I recently unlocked a brand new bill pay iPhone 6s plus with them. And it was a permanent unlock and not a hack. All I had to do was synch with iTunes once the shop emailed me back. Not sure how they do it as it's generally only the carrier who has permission to ask Apple to remove the carrier lock from their database. I suspect these sites 'know' people working inside the carrier who make the request. I chanced my arm anyway as it was only around 15 euro which is cheap for an iPhone unlock. It's always an option for those that are having difficulty getting their carrier to do the unlock for free. I suppose they could always find out about it being unlocked and get it relocked. Not heard of that happening though.

Afaik no carriers in Ireland charge a fee to unlock a phone. Three won't do it though unless you're contract is up or you pay it in full. Just out of curiosity, what network was yours on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

guil wrote: »
    Afaik no carriers in Ireland charge a fee to unlock a phone. Three won't do it though unless you're contract is up or you pay it in full. Just out of curiosity, what network was yours on?

€19.99 on VF anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

whiterebel wrote: »
    €19.99 on VF anyway

Not on bill pay it's not. You're entitled to one a year or something

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    €19.99 on VF anyway

I get 3 unlocks per year on each number I have with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

peteb2 wrote: »
    Not on bill pay it's not. You're entitled to one a year or something

I didn't say prepaid, bill pay or anything else. It costs €19.99 from the unlocking crowd mentioned above...,

Advertisement