Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External hard drive not displaying.

Options
  • 23-11-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭

About 6 months back I put my old laptop harddrive into an external harddrive caddy. It worked perfectly until I lost the screws and cable for the caddy. I only got around to buying a new one today and it isn't showing up on my laptop.
    I've also tried to use my sister's old hard drive in it.
    The thought has crossed my mind that both hard drives may be broke but I doubt this as mine was working before and a combination of a charging and screen issue killed my sisters laptop.

What I've tried so far;
    I've checked in computer manager and in This PC for the hard drive - nothing there.
    I've tried different USB ports - no luck
    I've restarted my computer - no good
    I've checked DYNAMODE website - it has a strange cable with one USB to go into the external harddrive and 2 for the computer ports. Followed instructions to the letter. - didn't work
    The DYNAMODE website told me any operating system above an XP doesn't to install any drives - mine are up to date anyway.

Other info
    The caddy is a DYNAMODE 2.5" external SATA hard disk enclosure - 9.99 in PC world
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/dynamode-usbhd25bn-25-ide-usb-20-hard-drive-enclosure-black/313190/403.4.5
    I'm using Windows 10
    Neither harddrive is encrypted

What I'm thinking;
    The caddy is the problem
    Maybe I need a more powerful one: would a 3.5" one make a difference?

Anyone have any solutions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Maybe I need a more powerful one: would a 3.5" one make a difference?

3.5" relates to the size of the hd i.e. a desktop one.

You could put your old hd into your laptop (if you are comfortable doing that). If it boots to BIOS and can see the hd then you know it's the caddy is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

mordeith wrote: »
    3.5" relates to the size of the hd i.e. a desktop one.

You could put your old hd into your laptop (if you are comfortable doing that). If it boots to BIOS and can see the hd then you know it's the caddy is the issue.

They both passed the harddrive test (smart check and short DST) not sure what they mean though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

They both passed the harddrive test (smart check and short DST) not sure what they mean though.

When and how did you test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Go to Computer management -> disk management and see can you see it. If you can, assign it a letter( whatever letter you want)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

put it into your laptop ,
    first take power cable out of power slot .
    you,ll have to take oof the drive cradle .and switch it around.
    i have an old laptop drive,
    it only works in a caddy with its own external power supply .
    look in start menu, control panel
    Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.* Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management, and then look for the new drive.

do not touch under side of drive ,the hd pcb.
    hold drive by the sides .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

mordeith wrote: »
    When and how did you test?
    Put them into my laptop last night

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

USB connected drives often get messed up with drive lettering. So yeah, assign a new drive letter and you should be sorted.

Advertisement