Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise at night South Douglas Rd / South Link

Options
  • 23-11-2015 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I live off the South Douglas Rd near to Dosco. We hear a noise at night like a drone in the distance. Sounds like a sonar or a dull bell toll. It goes on for hours and is random in terms of timing. Have noticed it on/off since August but seems to be getting worse in the last week, have heard it every night, sometimes from 7pm but more noticeable in middle of night when traffic sounds die down. It's not super loud but it keeps us awake. Have recorded it on phone & been on to ESB & Civic Amenity both say not them. Went out driving around at 2am last week, could hear it at entrance to dump & also when I pulled up by Texaco on South Douglas Rd. Just cannot pin point where it's coming from. Anyone hear it??!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Airport? You can hear ground movements all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yvonne_cork

TheChizler wrote: »
    Airport? You can hear ground movements all over the city.

Thank might suss that out as a source.. It does feel closer but as you say the vibrations travel

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I would have thought it would have been the noise from the on-going roadworks on the link? That's what I hear anyway, every night since they started earlier in the year.. The noise travels quite far, even just of the link traffic ever since they cut a lot of trees down the back of the Rochestown park hotel. They had been working on the in-bound lane into town on the link off Kinsale road roundabout and around the black ash park and ride recently (maybe why you are getting it close to the dump and Texaco), perhaps they are still working there at night, but there's plenty of other road works going on... but link roadworks are all I have heard late at night in the Douglas area, that kind of scraping, and like a dull bell toll especially when they were resurfacing the ramps of the link in Douglas and Bloomfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

orthsquel wrote: »
    I would have thought it would have been the noise from the on-going roadworks on the link? That's what I hear anyway, every night since they started earlier in the year.. The noise travels quite far, even just of the link traffic ever since they cut a lot of trees down the back of the Rochestown park hotel. They had been working on the in-bound lane into town on the link off Kinsale road roundabout and around the black ash park and ride recently (maybe why you are getting it close to the dump and Texaco), perhaps they are still working there at night, but there's plenty of other road works going on... but link roadworks are all I have heard late at night in the Douglas area, that kind of scraping, and like a dull bell toll especially when they were resurfacing the ramps of the link in Douglas and Bloomfield.

This is what I assumed it was also after reading the op. Wasn't there a similar thread a couple of years ago which was also caused by roadworks on the ring road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yvonne_cork

Ludo wrote: »
    This is what I assumed it was also after reading the op. Want the a similar thread a couple of years ago which was also caused by roadworks on the ring road?

Thank you both I'll look into that, can't understand how more people aren't complaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Here is the similar thread from a couple of years back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79828027

Videos even with the noise that was heard then.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I heard all the bell toll sounds around 12.30am, I'm fairly sure it is road works. They were working around the N27 inbound by Mick Barry Road (The road alongside the black ash) last night:

• South City Link N27 (Inbound): Lane restrictions in place from 2000hrs – midnight & full closure in place from midnight – 0600hrs from the Kinsale Road Roundabout to Mick Barry Road to facilitate road resurfacing (Lagan Asphalt)
    • ** Please note that Mick Barry Road will also be closed to facilitate the above closure from 2000hrs – 0600hrs**

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/transportationdivision/roadclosuresanddiversions/

It's probably those road works that explains it, tbh I've grown used to it but only ever hear it when I'm outside, and while a bit eerie, it doesn't bother me at all.

Advertisement