Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus not sure if I will get it

Options
  • 23-11-2015 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

My Carers benefit stopped a few weeks ago so I applied for Carers Allowance because of the long waiting list I am on no money from them at all now. I am not sure will I get the Christmas bonus that people at entitled to in December.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You won't get it until your claim is decided. If you are awarded the allowance it will be part of your back pay.

Hope that helps!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

You won't get it until your claim is decided. If you are awarded the allowance it will be part of your back pay.

Are you sure about this? You have to be claiming for more than 6 months.

As the OP is switching from benefit to allowance and isn't currently in receipt of any payments, He/She might not get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

I forgot to ring them today I will check tomorrow I have a feeling I wont its a shame if I do get the allowance that I wouldnt get the back pay if you say have to be claiming for more than 6 months considering it's ok for them to have a delay and backlog on claims due to short staff I applied in October they said there might be a 12 week delay great welfare I dont might waiting 3 months for you :(

I think this whole bonus thing is a joke anyway, I'm out of work 2 months so I wont receive it, but my friend who spends every single cent of his dole on drink and drugs, and hasn't worked in 8 years will get a bonus.. It actually disgusts me.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? You have to be claiming for more than 6 months.

As the OP is switching from benefit to allowance and isn't currently in receipt of any payments, He/She might not get it.

Where does it say the 6 month thing? I'm open to correction but I've looked again there and it doesn't mention that?

• Advertisement

Where does it say the 6 month thing? I'm open to correction but I've looked again there and it doesn't mention that?

Sorry, I thought it applied to all Social Welfare payments, it seems only certain ones..

Back to Education Allowance (people coming from jobseeker's payments must have been on their payment and/or BTEA for 15 months)Back to Work AllowanceBack to Work Enterprise AllowanceBack to Work Family DividendBasic Supplementary Welfare Allowance (long-term only - 15 months)Blind PensionCarer's Allowance and Benefit (including half-rate Carer's Allowance)Community EmploymentDeserted Wife's Allowance and BenefitDisability AllowanceDisablement Pension and Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Pension under the Occupational Injuries SchemeDomiciliary Care AllowanceFarm AssistGatewayGuardian's Payment (Contributory) and (Non-Contributory)Invalidity PensionJob InitiativeJobBridge (people coming from jobseeker's payments must have been on their payment and/or JobBridge for 15 months)Jobseeker's Allowance (long-term only - 15 months (over 390 days of unemployment))Jobseeker's Transitional paymentMagdalen Laundry PaymentsOne-Parent Family PaymentPartial Capacity BenefitPre-Retirement AllowanceRural Social SchemeState Pension (Contributory) and (Non-Contributory)TúsVTOS (people coming from jobseeker's payments must have been on their payment and/or VTOS for 15 months)Widow, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Pension (Contributory) and (Non-Contributory)

miss choc wrote: »
    I forgot to ring them today I will check tomorrow I have a feeling I wont its a shame if I do get the allowance that I wouldnt get the back pay if you say have to be claiming for more than 6 months considering it's ok for them to have a delay and backlog on claims due to short staff I applied in October they said there might be a 12 week delay great welfare I dont might waiting 3 months for you :(

You will get back pay if your claim is awarded.

You will get back pay if your claim is awarded.

The Christmas bonus wont be backpayed will it?

So confusing will check tomorrow Comfort Kid I know it's frustrating but not everyone on the dole is abusing it I as a carer appreciate the extra bit especially coming up to Christmas looking after a parent with Dementia on your own is hard and HSE only give you certain amount of carer hours if you want a break. The people using it on drink, drugs etc give other people who genuinely use that bonus on bills and food a bad name. My benefit was used on Mam's day care, groceries bills I wish I had it to go out clubbing every w/end.

No, I'm not accusing anyone of abusing it. It's up to them how they spend their money.

What kills me is rewarding long term unemployed, while people who actually worked in the last year get nothing. I don't see the logic in it at all.. Surely someone who was unfortunate enough to be let go a few months before xmas should get it too.

Hopefully you get it anyway. think it's been payed out next week.

• Advertisement

ComfortKid wrote: »
    The Christmas bonus wont be backpayed will it?

I can't see any reason why not. She will get back pay for the week including the bonus so I would think she's entitled to that too it would be unfair if she wasn't given it as it's an entitlement.
    Very interested to know for sure, miss choc would you let us know if you don't mind?

Comfort kid I suppose it's because people who have been working have been earning a lot more than the log term unemployed. It seems unfair but it's a life line to people like miss choc and I who don't have the option to work.

mod edit, quoted text uncivil

Have you read the thread at all???

Hi miss choc how did you get on? Hoping you get this sorted before Christmas!!

Sorry was in the middle of replying on Wed and didnt send for me. I rang anyway on Wed morning they said if I get the allowance the bonus will be back paid if I didnt wont. Luckilly I will still get the respite grant of 1375 in June regardless as this is not means tested.

miss choc wrote: »
    Sorry was in the middle of replying on Wed and didnt send for me. I rang anyway on Wed morning they said if I get the allowance the bonus will be back paid if I didnt wont. Luckilly I will still get the respite grant of 1375 in June regardless as this is not means tested.

Which has gone up to 1700 if I remember correctly.
    Well that's good to know you will get it all, fingers crossed it's sorted out soon for you.

Sorry meant to say that they say 1375 on their automated voice mail thingy was thinking of that

Advertisement