Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor spot light - help needed

Options
  • 23-11-2015 11:29pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

The outside light outside our front door is a spotlight which recently ran out. It's in the ceiling above the front door if that makes sense.

When I say spotlight I mean http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osram-Decostar-Dichroic-24Degree-44870FL/dp/B00LXYPOZS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1448317269&sr=8-7&keywords=osram+spotlight+bulbs

Anyway I went to replace it, and firstly the little wire holder that keeps it in place was rusted, which wasn't a big deal, but when I then went to remove the light, the entire fixture came out through the fitting.

I attempted to put it back together without much success, it appears to have two springs that should keep it in place, which appear to be broken.

Am I best to get an electrician to look at this, and if so, could someone recommend one in Swords, Dublin?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Stheno wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

The outside light outside our front door is a spotlight which recently ran out. It's in the ceiling above the front door if that makes sense.

When I say spotlight I mean http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osram-Decostar-Dichroic-24Degree-44870FL/dp/B00LXYPOZS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1448317269&sr=8-7&keywords=osram+spotlight+bulbs

Anyway I went to replace it, and firstly the little wire holder that keeps it in place was rusted, which wasn't a big deal, but when I then went to remove the light, the entire fixture came out through the fitting.

I attempted to put it back together without much success, it appears to have two springs that should keep it in place, which appear to be broken.

Am I best to get an electrician to look at this, and if so, could someone recommend one in Swords, Dublin?

Many thanks.

Your best option would be to buy a new light fitting and replace it. Depending on your diy skills it should be an easy enough job. It will be connected to a 12 volt transformer which should be sitting in the ceiling near the light. When you remove the light fitting you should be able to grab it with your hand(turn off the circuit before you do this). Replacing the light is just a matter of undoing the wires from the old light and replacing them with the wires on the new one at the transformer.

Advertisement