Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

ignition on the road fix??

• 24-11-2015 2:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

lately the ignition light sometimes does not come on (rare) , or when it does nothing happens when I press the starter (no click) and ignition light goes off. I will investigate soon and might get a new ignition switch.
    My question is when I'm 'on the road' and desperate can I bypass the ignition handy enough with a jump wire at the ignition switch connector.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

whats the bike?

With the weather as it is, I'd suspect water ingress in the right hand switch gear / or its connection to the loom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are you sure its not simply just an old battery being impacted by a tempreture turn ?

Sometimes its the simplest things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

'tis a suzuki gn 250. Wires shouldn't be wet. Battery is good. So just some connection or wire is a bit off or ig. switch is . Anybody for 'on the road fix' with a jumper wire??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You should be able to bump start that on your own! Or ask a couple of school kids for a push. (Actually, I was pushing someone's non-starting Suzuki in a car park myself today.)

Okay seriously...
    My first thought would be dodgy connection at starter button or battery too. Does N light stay on if you prod the wires to ignition switch?

The sidestand\clutch\neutral switches are interconnected, probably including a diode too. A failed diode might explain the N light going out but I think it would still turn over. Check connections. All this cct must be right for the starter relay to operate.

So I'm thinking ... Starter relay/solenoid.
    Locate starter relay and test for 12V on the contol cct (when starterbutton pushed) and on power cct (when ign on).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

It doesn't jump start when this problem occurs. I'd be made if it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

lalababa wrote: »
    It doesn't jump start when this problem occurs. I'd be made if it did.

Nothing for it but tank off and check all connections I think. Looking for frayed\loose\burnt wires, cleaning terminals.
    Disconnect the headlight bulb to save battery power, if you don't have a switch.

Advertisement