Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star shaped Fort in Crinkill, Offaly-Irish Sword

Options
  • 24-11-2015 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone that might have a stash of Irish Sword magazines, I believe there was an article published many moons ago (90's or late 80's?) about a star shaped fortification previous to that of Birr Barracks, the fort apparently being located on the site of the 14 Acres. This is meant to be part of it on the 1909 OSI map http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,606808,702834,11,9

I know my request is fairly vague, but I can't for the life of my remember where I saw the reference to which Irish Sword magazine it was in. I'd be fairly interested to get a copy of the article.

Any help with this much appreciated!

Stephen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Try Trinity college library..

I have been told by a member they have every publication sold in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Why not contact them? http://www.mhsi.ie/contact.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

dubscottie wrote: »
    Try Trinity college library..

I have been told by a member they have every publication sold in Ireland.

Actually if I remember correctly TCD hold copies of any publication in the British Isles. As far as I know for the period you are asking about, any of the NUI university libraries should hold copies of documents published in the Irish state.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Take a quick look at this may be of some interest. To best of my knowledge the 1809 barracks was the first barracks in Birr no 17thc star fort. The map you linked shows a bank but that may relate to the pond that served as the water source for the barracks. No bank on the 1837 map.

Advertisement