Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri an Mhi (half)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

BTH wrote: »
    So it seems tri an mhi are running an oly instead that weekend.

Feeling a bit less sympathetic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If Dublin 70.3 doesn't go ahead...that is two HIM's gone from the calendar. So much for my season aimed at HIM distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Extremely disappointing news.

Is that the rumor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

tunney wrote: »
    Delusions seem to be part and parcel of boards though.

It's nothing like the sense of entitlement some posters are showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Depends on your point of view - there are VERY few good olympic races in the midlands - particularly if you can't do CK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I thought the problem was TI wouldn't back a HIM race and/or Tri an Mhi couldn't make a profit from a HIM race - surely the distance is irrelevant? Something else going on here we are not being told.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

zico10 wrote: »
    It's nothing like the sense of entitlement some posters are showing.

I dunno, some of the delusions people hold are pretty far fetched.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I thought the problem was TI wouldn't back a HIM race and/or Tri an Mhi couldn't make a profit from a HIM race - surely the distance is irrelevant? Something else going on here we are not being told.

Does the race have to be run under TI? No not really. TI gives advertising and insurance but other race directors have gone their own way.

HIMs are alot of work to organise.
    Its also a much smaller target market.
    Tri An Mhi won't be able to tap into the bucket listers as really needs the brand of Ironman especially with the Bressie show*
    From a commerical sense ditching the HIM and going to the Oly makes perfect sense - easier to run, much more people potentially interested in it, more money, less effort - who wouldn't swim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Mod Note: just a reminder, keep it civil folks, anything not discussing the race won't stay here long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

qoute
    Tri An Mhi won't be able to tap into the bucket listers as really needs the brand of Ironman especially with the Bressie show*

I would say if there is not 300 people in dublin that just want to do a simple honest half ,close to dublin ,triathlon has a issue.

what ironman does is great stuff but it would be sad if the sport would really just turn in to a rich man sport.

One more reminder folks, If you have an issue with a post, report it and the mods will deal with it. no back seat modding

mossym wrote: »
    One more reminder folks, If you have an issue with a post, report it and the mods will deal with it. no back seat modding

Even if its in pink writing?

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Even if its in pink writing?

unfortunately even the magical power of pink doesn't prevent arguments. :)

peter kern wrote: »
    tunney wrote:

I would say if there is not 300 people in dublin that just want to do a simple honest half ,close to dublin ,triathlon has a issue.

I don't think that < 300 people wanting to do an "honest half" indicates a problem. Why would it?

Race of the year

I don't know where you get the idea that there is a HUGE market for triathlon in ireland. Remove those that stay for one year and out and its probably not that much bigger than when you were fast, racing, taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

what ironman does is great stuff but it would be sad if the sport would really just turn in to a rich man sport.

^^
    This stands out and is indicative of the crux of the matter for me.

Bear with me here comes the spade...

Triathlon is no longer the elitist sport that it once was. It used to be a sport for people who had high disposable income, who could ill afford the 20 hours per week to train as they were already working 80+ hours. The individuals were all driven and 'alpha' types. There was no such thing as shortened swims or drafting chain gangs.

As a result of the growth of the sport it has become mainstream and attractive or more attainable to those who would not typically be of the triathlete mindset, come to be known as box tickers, bucket listers, one and done. It is because the sport is now mass market that changes are made to accommodate those who maybe didn't train enough, didn't read the rules, can't swim.

Similarily because it is mass market the participant will typically want to be lost in the numbers, this is why events are growing to huge numbers. People want to be seen to be involved in the spectacle. Its why Challenge will be great for the profile of the sport to the detriment of triathletes. The full would have been a strong field of 'old school' triathletes, a co-hort if you will, but with the announcement of the half you could hear the collective despair and people looking to change out to not be part of the spectacle.

There is a massive difference between a triathlete and someone who does triathlon. IMO this is where the difference is between putting on a great race for triathletes or an ok race for large numbers of those who do triathlon and don't know the difference.

Like those who stepped back from the commitment of a full race to do a half distance the same could be said for clubs looking to fill an olympic rather than catering for a half.

Look to where the numbers are. Our sport, the sport has changed dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

But seriously in the context of triathletes in Ireland what percentage of them are regular posters on boards?

I think people on here seriously overestimate the influence the boards TDAR forum has on triathlon in Ireland. I meet one or two boardsies at most races I do, but the vast majority of people I talk to are only vaguely aware there is a forum at all.

People don't have to be on boards or to contribute for it to have an influence.

Why do you think events react so quickly to negative feedback on boards? Its because of the boards effect on Google. Clear your computer cache and cookies and search for any race and in the top ranking returns will be a connection to boards.

Do not underestimate your influence over the force young padawan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Race of the year

I don't know where you get the idea that there is a HUGE market for triathlon in ireland. Remove those that stay for one year and out and its probably not that much bigger than when you were fast, racing, taking part.

Ojection your honour...inflammatory!

• Advertisement

Isn't that better than nothing? I hope it proves very successful.

And if they wanted to organise an egg and spoon race instead of the half, as a very content participant at two of their events, I'd wish them well with that as well.

Isn't that better than nothing? I hope it proves very successful.

And if they wanted to organise an egg and spoon race instead of the half, as a very content participant at two of their events, I'd wish them well with that as well.

As long as they check for glue on the spoons.

i agree boards is small but at the same time on this small place there is already 14 people that said they had penciled in that race for next year without it being announced.
    I think what Pearse says is that they are afraid to run a loss ( and as you rightly say they have absolutely no obligation to stage a race ) but if they saw that there was 25 plus people on boards wanting to do the race that would encourage them to send out a letter to their previous racers to see what the interest is like.

plus if some of those 25 would ask their club members on the club forum or whatever if they are interested to do the race ...
    that might already show a solid numbers of interested people...and might encourage them more ;-)

Boards is a discussion forum and as the saying goes 'talk is cheap'. Twenty-five people with money on the table would be even more convincing. Why would any event organiser proceed with what they perceive to be a risky venture, just on the expressed interest of twenty-five anonymous Internet users?
    AKW wrote: »
    People don't have to be on boards or to contribute for it to have an influence.

Why do you think events react so quickly to negative feedback on boards? Its because of the boards effect on Google. Clear your computer cache and cookies and search for any race and in the top ranking returns will be a connection to boards.

Do not underestimate your influence over the force young padawan ;)

I can concede that, and negative race reviews certainly aren't good for race organisers. But I can think of some races that did very well for several years despite what was or wasn't said on boards.

Like I said to Peter, boards is a discussion forum. In this community, we're taking part in a sport at the end of the day and all we should do here is talk about that sport. I enjoy following the forum and I'm generally interested in what people have to say, but that's as far as it goes for me. We are not a club, and to TI or any other group involved in organising or running the sport, we are anonymous and should be regarded as such.

I think if you want to talk aobut history of the sport you should go back to the begining.
    initally tri was much more people that camped at races and wanted more to be free than the 80 hour working guys that did tri it was more the people that felt less work more life quality. ie your car was usully worth less than your bike type of people. many where students lifeguards etc
    the comercial side to tri started maybe 20 years or so in ( and dont get me wrong i do not say this is wrong and it was prob also imperative as ironman was kind of bankrupt and needed to be more commercial
    and with this change you are right it became more the sport you describe. and we see less and less younger people in those expensive races as a consequence.
    most clubes were certainly not built by people that work 80 hours and train 20 plus hours a week nd in a way this is the backbone of the sport

I think the reason why iornman races are not bad value is they give you 3 days of buzz ( for me they are bad races as i dont want that and only wnat to pay for race day ) . but i do hope there is still people that want cheap races where you just race and spend less overhad time before and after the race ( they are no better or worse just different races)
    and becasue they are more affordable can do more races
    coindicentally it often not the fastest people that race most its often the forrest gump people that race a they find it is the most enjoyable training and that keeps them in the sport .

and in a way for clubs to work you need expericend atheltes that guide the bucket list athletes and i think this is a risk where the sport is entering with the lifespan of triathletes getting shorter ( and i do think we would agree more people are getting priced out not all altheltes are the 80plus hour atheltes you talk about)than clubs will find it harder and harder to deal with new people.

and thats why i think grassroot races like tri an mhi are very important and if its a oly race its just as well and i will be happy to do it .

anyway this thread is i guess at its end.

just one thing aoubt the market in ireland the pre reg for dublin 70.3 last year was of the charts . at ironman barcelona ireland was the nation with the third most participants I totaly agree most are the brand hunter but I would still think that there is 300 people that make a small half iroman viable close to dublin regardless how many races there is outside a 2 hour driving raduis from dublin as it is really to only race where you get to conforabley in 1 day from dublin.

Bear with me here comes the spade...

Triathlon is no longer the elitist sport that it once was. It used to be a sport for people who had high disposable income, who could ill afford the 20 hours per week to train as they were already working 80+ hours. The individuals were all driven and 'alpha' types. There was no such thing as shortened swims or drafting chain gangs.

As a result of the growth of the sport it has become mainstream and attractive or more attainable to those who would not typically be of the triathlete mindset, come to be known as box tickers, bucket listers, one and done. It is because the sport is now mass market that changes are made to accommodate those who maybe didn't train enough, didn't read the rules, can't swim.

Similarily because it is mass market the participant will typically want to be lost in the numbers, this is why events are growing to huge numbers. People want to be seen to be involved in the spectacle. Its why Challenge will be great for the profile of the sport to the detriment of triathletes. The full would have been a strong field of 'old school' triathletes, a co-hort if you will, but with the announcement of the half you could hear the collective despair and people looking to change out to not be part of the spectacle.

There is a massive difference between a triathlete and someone who does triathlon. IMO this is where the difference is between putting on a great race for triathletes or an ok race for large numbers of those who do triathlon and don't know the difference.

Like those who stepped back from the commitment of a full race to do a half distance the same could be said for clubs looking to fill an olympic rather than catering for a half.

Look to where the numbers are. Our sport, the sport has changed dramatically.[/QUOTE]

Why would any event organiser proceed with what they perceive to be a risky venture, just on the expressed interest of twenty-five anonymous Internet users?

they should not proceed based on this !
    and i think i said that those 25 would have to bring many more people from their clubs.
    and i said then they could ask the people that particpated in the race before .
    to perceive as risk and to test interest by actuall asking people would be differetn though and certainly a better gauge to see the foundation of the perceived risk.
    and to make it clear i certainly have no demands that a races happens
    but i think its sad if such a great race dosnt happen.
    and sometimes it would be good if we were to support those grassroot races more .
    Boards is a discussion forum and as the saying goes 'talk is cheap'. Twenty-five people with money on the table would be even more convincing. Why would any event organiser proceed with what they perceive to be a risky venture, just on the expressed interest of twenty-five anonymous Internet users?

I can concede that, and negative race reviews certainly aren't good for race organisers. But I can think of some races that did very well for several years despite what was or wasn't said on boards.

Like I said to Peter, boards is a discussion forum. In this community, we're taking part in a sport at the end of the day and all we should do here is talk about that sport. I enjoy following the forum and I'm generally interested in what people have to say, but that's as far as it goes for me. We are not a club, and to TI or any other group involved in organising or running the sport, we are anonymous and should be regarded as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Does the race have to be run under TI? No not really. TI gives advertising and insurance but other race directors have gone their own way.

HIMs are alot of work to organise.
    Its also a much smaller target market.
    From a commerical sense ditching the HIM and going to the Oly makes perfect sense - easier to run, much more people potentially interested in it, more money, less effort - who wouldn't swim.

Yes but since the course is looped - i.e. swim 2 loops, bike 2 loops, run 2 loops, the distance is much less of a factor - sounds more like there just isn't the numbers there to support a longer race, not that the longer race would be more difficult to plan and stage.

Only mentioned TI as they were being offered up as an excuse for not staging the race.

I think Peter has got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

seeing as its related and rather than starting another thread, the humbert half iron is supposed to be back, according to the clubs own facebook page..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

woody1 wrote: »
    seeing as its related and rather than starting another thread, the humbert half iron is supposed to be back, according to the clubs own facebook page..

Any date ?

I enjoyed that event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

no date mentioned yet, if dates are ok il be doing it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

woody1 wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/The-Humbert-Challenge-333705858772/?fref=nf

Feck them - would have liked to have known about this a few months back - but great to see them back - cracking race. If its a late summer race i might even train on during the summer for a change instead of drinking and eating :o

Advertisement