Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imported gadget for Christmas, what next.

Options
  • 24-11-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Dear all,

I'm a long time looker on this forum, really appreciate all your help over the years.

I imported some balance wheel from a reputable manufacture in China, and how should I promote and sell them? I was thinking shopping centres but don't know where to start.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advances.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You've left it very late in the day to get going with this all the decent spots will already be full with pop ups.

Has it been CE tested? I would assume something like this would need it but wouldn't be 100% sure.

What sort of budget do you have? Even one of those little hallway kiosks in a shopping centre cost a fortune and they would likely be wary of something like this setting up in the middle of their centre last thing they need is people flying round on them and running into people etc.

Best place to start would be to ring them and see if they have any space but you're likely looking at a hefty premium on the rent if you just want it for the next 4 weeks.

You'll want to get some rock solid insurance I would be very apprehensive about selling these without limited liability.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

jimmii wrote: »
    You've left it very late in the day to get going with this all the decent spots will already be full with pop ups.

Has it been CE tested? I would assume something like this would need it but wouldn't be 100% sure.

What sort of budget do you have? Even one of those little hallway kiosks in a shopping centre cost a fortune and they would likely be wary of something like this setting up in the middle of their centre last thing they need is people flying round on them and running into people etc.

Best place to start would be to ring them and see if they have any space but you're likely looking at a hefty premium on the rent if you just want it for the next 4 weeks.

You'll want to get some rock solid insurance I would be very apprehensive about selling these without limited liability.

Good luck!

Thank you for taking your time and get back to me. Yes they're CE certified. I know it's kind late wish I had planned earlier.

Canonfan wrote: »
    Thank you for taking your time and get back to me. Yes they're CE certified. I know it's kind late wish I had planned earlier.

Its going to make it harder to find a good spot but you might get lucky. Just get on to them and see what is available and then get out there and see what its like. How much stock do you have? I would think they are going to be pretty popular this Christmas I could see you shifting quite a few. All the press about them being illegal in the UK is brilliant for you! I can seem them being like drones were the last year or two where there were tons of them flying round at the start of January I can imagine we'll see a lot of people on these in the new year.

How competitive are you able to price them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There'll be plenty of Christmas markets popping up but I'd say the spots could be filled already.

You can still apply for I believe in Christmas but wouldn't be surprised if it was full and they just hadn't taken it down given it starts in 2 days! €150/day or €3500 for the whole thing you'd want to make sure you have your numbers sorted at that price though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Adverts.ie might be a good place to start. Donedeal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

How much are you hoping to retail them for?

Try get the product & your contact details added to the likes of the 'Beady Eye Bargains & Special Offers' Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Ebay, adverts, donedeal(Amazon & Groupon maybe) and every market you can go to. It's too late to get it into retailers, they would have started ordering back in February 15 and finished the last ordering by August. They are in 100% sales mode now and the last thing they will want is more stocks of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

is that your boards on the news that got impounded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

donegal. wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cancel-christmas-hoverboards-blocked-at-dublin-port-1.2444981

:)

Saw them on sale in Jervis centre for €400.00 Looked like they'd last a day.

• Advertisement

donegal. wrote: »

The OP was told they were CE certified so hopefully not! 1400 of the things must have been some kick in the nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

All my boards arrived one month ago and all have CE,ROHS,FCC Certification. I sold quite a few on adverts already and they're selling fast in shop. I have promotional guys on Grafton and Henry street passing flyers. All good.

The ones seized are poor quality not safe to use.

Thanks for the advice guys.

This is the company I order from, if anybody is interested similar business you can approach them.

They also have page on alibaba with more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I heard on the news that 1,500 of them were stopped from being imported.. something fire related.
    I'm guessing they're cheaper made than the ones that are already in the country.
    Maplin are flogging them for over €800!
    Jervis Shopping Centre has two types.. €350 and €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34975178
    More than 15,000 unsafe hoverboards - otherwise known as self-balancing scooters - have been seized at ports and airports around the UK.

It seems most didn't have things such as fuses, etc. May be an idea to do a random quality check of your stock for peace of mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

the_syco wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34975178

It seems most didn't have things such as fuses, etc. May be an idea to do a random quality check of your stock for peace of mind?

I'd take any marking on something from China with a heap of salt. I've looked at 'CE' stamped items to find them extremely dangerous or poorly made, especially with electronics. I'd ask someone suitably qualified to crack open one along with the charger to be sure, from a personal standpoint I couldn't have any doubt in my mind of a fire risk for a customer (I'm an Electronic Engineer by trade) Badly wired chargers or shoddy charging circuits for battery packs can be a lethal combo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

Don't forget there is a fake CE mark out there = Chinese Engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The Smart Balance wheels are the ones that were impounded, I don't think any on the market are actually compliant with safety legislation.

Lux23 wrote: »
    The Smart Balance wheels are the ones that were impounded, I don't think any on the market are actually compliant with safety legislation.

Seems you would need to be taking extra care alright. Argos recalling them all Amazon seem to think the non-clover shaped plug ones are fine. With the fires seems crazy to take the chance I know if I wanted one there's no way I would be getting one right now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Whats the name of your company

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just to give an idea of Lithium Battery packs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ8IsMRFM5o

The scenario presented here is not as far fetched when you factor in bad wiring, circuit design and minimal heat dissipation. Now, scale upwards to a larger pack for the higher currents required for motors. There is a reason a great deal of these larger capacity battery packs are being banned on planes and the underground.

Take care this Christmas folks.

Advertisement