Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 24-11-2015 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Looking for a new internet provider. We don't have a landline & would prefer unlimited allowance. Six in the house, but is only really used for social media & occasionally Netflix, etc. We're about 6 miles south of Enniscorthy.
    We were with Meteor but the coverage is crap and only had a 30GB limit. Planned on going with Skytel/Rocket but have seen bad reviews from a while back - Does anyone use them currently?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I use Skytel and when they're good, they're good. However, the service can go offline and when you ring, they just say there is a general outage in the area. €35 a month gets me Broadband and national/UK calls. The calls are via satellite link and there can be dreadful time delays of poor coverage. At best the broadband returns 12Mb levels, but it can drop to 3/4 Mb at times

Good enough for my usage and I believe Rocket are similar. I'll move if another player comes along though. (I'm near Forth Mountain BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Eircom (Eir) offer a standalone broadband offering,of course you'll need them to test your line to see what speed they can offer.I've inlaws living in the sticks who never considered them as an option and were surprised to discover they can get a constant 7Mb/s. Not blazing speeds but it's stable and services all the devices in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

zerks wrote: »
    Eircom (Eir) offer a standalone broadband offering,of course you'll need them to test your line to see what speed they can offer.I've inlaws living in the sticks who never considered them as an option and were surprised to discover they can get a constant 7Mb/s. Not blazing speeds but it's stable and services all the devices in the house.

My line would only support 1Mb, so I got rid of it altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭WicklowTiger

ChloeElla wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Looking for a new internet provider. We don't have a landline & would prefer unlimited allowance. Six in the house, but is only really used for social media & occasionally Netflix, etc. We're about 6 miles south of Enniscorthy.
    We were with Meteor but the coverage is crap and only had a 30GB limit. Planned on going with Skytel/Rocket but have seen bad reviews from a while back - Does anyone use them currently?
    Cheers

Whereabouts are you? I'm in Wexford town and using Three's 4g SIM only in an unlocked router I bought on Amazon. There's a 60GB limit, we have come close to it a couple times but never hit it. Speeds usually 20-30 Mbit down, nearly always faster upload. Gave up on Eircom when I went through 2 years of hell trying to get fibre in during the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Thanks guys, we're in Bree, my phone network is 3 and I usually can't even get 3G out here.
    Do you not need a phone line to get Eir broadband installed? We've never had a phone which is why we've always used mobile broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ChloeElla wrote: »
    Thanks guys, we're in Bree, my phone network is 3 and I usually can't even get 3G out here.
    Do you not need a phone line to get Eir broadband installed? We've never had a phone which is why we've always used mobile broadband.

You'll probably have a socket in the house,usually in the hall.As I said you don't need to take a phone bundle anymore with them.They offer standalone broadband now.You could check with the neighbours as to what they have.Mobile broadband in rural areas is pitiful in this country.
    AFAIK There's a couple of fixed wireless providers who have masts on Bree hill.

I'm lucky enough to have fibre broadband but won't make you jealous by posting my speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i use Permanet, €50 per month unlimited with ireland/uk calls ,up to 10mb, best speeds daytime/weekends 3 to 9mb, weekday evenings 1 to 2 Mb.

Advertisement