Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turkey shoots down Russian aircraft

• 24-11-2015 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

The Turkish Air Force has shot down a Russian Su 24 after they claim it passed through Turkish airspace twice. Russia is denying that it crossed over and saying it's a "stab in the back".

Meanwhile both pilots are reported to have died, and some of the rebels have claimed to have shot down/damaged one of the helicopters engaged in search and rescue operations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There were reports of a rebel video with a captured airman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There were reports of a rebel video with a captured airman.

Yeah doing the rounds on social media one was supposedly badly burned may have came down close to the wreckage ,
    And a few showing an old FSA video showing the pilots from a mil 8 doing the rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭sparky42

Reports from FSA that they killed the pilots as they were still in the air.

Clip on Sky News a minute ago that reportedly had Rebels using a TOW missile to destroy a landed Helicopter (suggestions that it might have been the one reported damaged earlier on). So a NATO nation shot down a Russian plane and now a US weapon used to destroy another "russian" helicopter.

sparky42 wrote: »
    Clip on Sky News a minute ago that reportedly had Rebels using a TOW missile to destroy a landed Helicopter (suggestions that it might have been the one reported damaged earlier on). So a NATO nation shot down a Russian plane and now a US weapon used to destroy another "russian" helicopter.

Certainly didn't look like one of Hinds on SAR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Gatling wrote: »
    Certainly didn't look like one of Hinds on SAR

I've only seen one still photograph but it looked like an Mil Mi-8 or one of it's variants.

I've only seen one still photograph but it looked like an Mil Mi-8 or one of it's variants.

That's what I was thinking the first pics I saw it looked like two hinds but on closer inspection it definitely look like one of each ,
    Hopefully anyone on board got away ,

Gatling wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking the first pics I saw it looked like two hinds but on closer inspection it definitely look like one of each ,
    Hopefully anyone on board got away ,

Russian Military say it came under fire, one crew member was killed, they landed and were picked up by others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Historically the Russians and Turks have been rivals in that region. Given the minor issues that have sparked conflict, ie Crimean War and various historical Russo-Turk wars, one hopes that the US can act as a damper on the two sides.

Manach wrote: »
    Historically the Russians and Turks have been rivals in that region. Given the minor issues that have sparked conflict, ie Crimean War and various historical Russo-Turk wars, one hopes that the US can act as a damper on the two sides.

Vlad's got ambitions but he's not stupid, I can't see this going beyond diplomatic handbags with pilots ROE's being changed to avoid this from happening again. The larger issue will be how to work with the Russians now for both dealing with ISIS and Assad.

• Advertisement

Erdogan is a nationalist strongman in a similar mould to Putin, the Turks are being pretty duplicitous in their activities in the region, hiding behind the cloak of Nato but at the same time pummeling the Kurds and tacitly facilitating Daesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

What's the likely Russian response?

What's the likely Russian response?

Economic so far, you've had tour companies ending flights to Turkey and I think some officials have warned not to travel there. Too early to see what else Vlad will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Question on location....

Is it known yet where the plane was when the missile struck?

ie: did the missile cross the border to make its impact, or was it struck on the Turkish side & limped on for a while before crashing?

And is there any word on the missile used?
    (Turkey appears to have the usual suspects of Sidewinder, Sparrow & AMRAAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Question on location....

Is it known yet where the plane was when the missile struck?

ie: did the missile cross the border to make its impact, or was it struck on the Turkish side & limped on for a while before crashing?

And is there any word on the missile used?
    (Turkey appears to have the usual suspects of Sidewinder, Sparrow & AMRAAM.

From what I've gathered, the Turks fired an AIM at the Jet when it was in Turkish air space, but it only struck the Russian aircraft after the pilot tried to floor it back across the Syrian border (hitting them inside Syria).

It seems like a tricky one, alright.

From what I've gathered, the Turks fired an AIM at the Jet when it was in Turkish air space, but it only struck the Russian aircraft after the pilot tried to floor it back across the Syrian border (hitting them inside Syria).

It seems like a tricky one, alright.

The russians allege that the Turkish plane itself incurred into Syrian airspace and I know there's an element of "well they would say that wouldn't they?" when it comes to Russian comments on these matters but it wouldn't surprise me in the least, it's not like the Turks haven't incurred into Syrian airspace before.

Plus the border line in that area is so twisty that it would be easy for either side to incur by mistake.

Advertisement