Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities - when/what age did you get your kids enrolled

Options
  • 24-11-2015 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

I have almost 2 year old now. When did you get your kids enrolled in the activities i.e. what age for example for gymnast, martial arts, dance, swimming, football etc.
    I am not suggesting I am already looking to get him enrolled somewhere, but just looking for options when time comes.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

kknitter wrote: »
    Hi,

I have almost 2 year old now. When did you get your kids enrolled in the activities i.e. what age for example for gymnast, martial arts, dance, swimming, football etc.
    I am not suggesting I am already looking to get him enrolled somewhere, but just looking for options when time comes.

Regards

Our little guy (3) goes to little kickers football. He's been going for a few months now. They have a class that starts at 18 months but there's only one of those in Dublin I think. Depending where you are they have other classes aged (2-3.5) and so on. My guy loves it. Just a bit of fun really. I'll be putting our little girl in aswell when she's 2 as she loves kicking balls around. It's good fun for them and the coaches r pretty good at keeping their attention. I'm not sure if my guy would've benefited much at 2 as it would've been hard to keep his attention at that age. But he was well able at 2.5. My girl will be fine to put in at 2 however. Check their website if ur interested.

Got a flyer through the door the last week for rugby tots. Think it starts from 2 aswell so I might investigate and sign them up for that next year for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

That sounds amazing :) He LOVES balls so much. I am sure he would love this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

That sounds amazing :) He LOVES balls so much. I am sure he would love this. :)

Definitely check out their website then. They have classes all over the country. And u can sign them up just for 6 classes initially if you are unsure if he's a bit young etc. we signed T up just for 6 classes initially, then signed up for an additional 6. L (19 month old girl) was an honourary little kicker last week when we brought her along to watch T. She joined in for the whole class an absolutely loved it. So we'll def be putting her in in March when she is 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Hi,

Regards

Check out the National Concert Hall which does fun music classes from 1 upwards; nothing heavy, just singing, playing around with simply instruments, etc.

Also NPAS, based on Barrow St (though temporarily based on St Mathew's school in Sandymount) who do various arts; they have a toddler singing class starting from 2.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I started formal swimming classes with me NOT in the pool, when she was about two and a half, nearly 3. we did a lot of splashing about ourselves before that. She is 4 now and swims like a little fish, it's mad. I think I'll hold off a bit with her sister though as she still hates the water. You will know your own child and what they like.

GAA, they take them here from around 4 1/2 - 5 and put them in the under sixes group. It's two euro a session and I have to say it is so well organised. I've seen army drills less focused than the under sixes training sessions, tackle bags, jumping through tyre obstacle courses, the whole thing. Although maybe that's just the cork clubs. ;)

Rowing is age 8, as long as they can swim as well.

Tennis is age 7 for lessons in our local club.

Martial arts are age 5 here.

Cork school of music does music classes from junior infants age onwards.

Ice skating /ice hockey /roller skating they take from about age 4-5. I think a lot of sports seem to start up around the time they start going to school.

Ballet and dance (hip hop etc) start up at age 3 near us, but I didn't like the dance teaching methods after hearing reports from other parents. The teacher doesn't allow the parents watch the class, and she slaps children when their attention dropped. Bit much for 3 year olds imo.

Mine don't do everything going by any means, but I'll try to give them a small go with most of what is accessible to us over the years to see if anything sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My 3 year old does ballet and swimming, she really enjoys both. I'm hoping to get my second into swimming when she turns 3, we've done baby swimming since 11 weeks and she's really good, not sure baby swimming will work for much longer

Will look into rugby for tots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Pwurple - a dance teacher is slapping children?! WTF?!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mckar

Firstly delighted I seen this I've 3 year old boy and two girls 2 &1 nearly lol been dying to get them involved in activities very hard to find for young ages. We been doing family swimming every week but mixing with other kids is so much better.

Ballet and dance (hip hop etc) start up at age 3 near us, but I didn't like the dance teaching methods after hearing reports from other parents. The teacher doesn't allow the parents watch the class, and she slaps children when their attention dropped. Bit much for 3 year olds imo.

Secondly am I missing something slaps the kids this can't be real in this day and age surely I mean really the parents don't have anything to say about this? She should not be let near them if that's how she manages young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

My 4 year old girl is on a waiting list for gymnastics and performing arts.

Thank you all so much for amazing replies... :)
    Sligo1 wrote: »
    Definitely check out their website then. They have classes all over the country. And u can sign them up just for 6 classes initially if you are unsure if he's a bit young etc. :)

This is a great idea Sligo1.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    I started formal swimming classes with me NOT in the pool, when she was about two and a half, nearly 3. we did a lot of splashing about ourselves before that. She is 4 now and swims like a little fish, it's mad. I think I'll hold off a bit with her sister though as she still hates the water. You will know your own child and what they like.

GAA, they take them here from around 4 1/2 - 5 and put them in the under sixes group. It's two euro a session and I have to say it is so well organised. I've seen army drills less focused than the under sixes training sessions, tackle bags, jumping through tyre obstacle courses, the whole thing. Although maybe that's just the cork clubs. ;)

Rowing is age 8, as long as they can swim as well.

Tennis is age 7 for lessons in our local club.

Martial arts are age 5 here.

Cork school of music does music classes from junior infants age onwards.

Ice skating /ice hockey /roller skating they take from about age 4-5. I think a lot of sports seem to start up around the time they start going to school.

Mine don't do everything going by any means, but I'll try to give them a small go with most of what is accessible to us over the years to see if anything sticks.

Pwpurple... you are a wealth of info :) appreciate your reply so much .

PLL wrote: »
    My 4 year old girl is on a waiting list for gymnastics and performing arts.

I live in Dublin, I will have to find if there are waiting lists here as well..

[mckar] [rentdayblues] I havent taken him swimming yet, but we are booked in for this weekend for first time.... hopefully he likes it, he loves water though, splashing and being in bathtub in general :D so i am hoping he would like swimming.

Swimming is great for both you and you child great bonding time and so enjoyable . They really sleep that night aswel haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

If you're thinking Beavers/Cubs/Scouts there may be a waiting list depending on the provision near where you live. I'd be contacting them at least 12 months ahead to check on places. Most groups will have beavers as the youngest starting at 6 so you've a while yet, though north of the border Squirrels starts at 4.

Our group (an oversubscribed group in Belfast) has nearly 2 years wait for some of the younger sections.

Treadhead wrote: »
    If you're thinking Beavers/Cubs/Scouts there may be a waiting list depending on the provision near where you live. I'd be contacting them at least 12 months ahead to check on places. Most groups will have beavers as the youngest starting at 6 so you've a while yet, though north of the border Squirrels starts at 4.

Our group (an oversubscribed group in Belfast) has nearly 2 years wait for some of the younger sections.

Yes we have beavers and some volunteers I know in my area. They have advised there is a long waiting list. I will be putting him on list next year, that's what they suggested. Thansk for your reply :)

mckar wrote: »
    . They really sleep that night aswel haha
    Oh that will be bliss, as he is not a great sleeper, so anything that works ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Gonna sign my guy up for horse riding, he needs to be 4 though so I have to wait another 4 months

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Pwurple - a dance teacher is slapping children?! WTF?!

A couple of the children said they were being slapped on the legs, but they are three years old, so it's hard to get details. Some of the parents went to speak about it, the teacher denied it... And is a very intimidating old-school type of ballet teacher apparently. But still won't let any of the parents watch the classes because it is a distraction. Anyway, maybe it gets amazing ballet careers started or something, but it's not for me.

A couple of the children said they were being slapped on the legs, but they are three years old, so it's hard to get details. Some of the parents went to speak about it, the teacher denied it... And is a very intimidating old-school type of ballet teacher apparently. But still won't let any of the parents watch the classes because it is a distraction. Anyway, maybe it gets amazing ballet careers started or something, but it's not for me.

She could be making billion airs for all I'd care I'm shocked that this has even been passed of as ahh sure it's grand type of thing. I'd actually distory her career if that's what's shes at.

Sorry if I'm way of topic here actually annoied I've two girl I would not do that myself let alone someone else. Sorry I get your not involved I'm shocked that you have heard that and she is still teaching it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Our little boy started football at 18 months with Little Kickers. he loves it.

I will be signing him up to horse riding when he is 4. that is the youngest the local stables take them.

he had been swimming every week but when I went back to work that had to stop as we couldn't get a weekend class.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I teach Irish dancing, I don't usually take them until they are 4 and have started school.

I never slap anyone and when kids the little ones get distracted, i let them play and start again when they've had a break.

But I don't like parents staying in the class, they are a terrible distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Immy wrote: »
    But I don't like parents staying in the class, they are a terrible distraction.

Also a dancing teacher. Also completely agree with you re parents in the class. Hugely, hugely distracting.

(And of course I disagree with slapping kids!)

She could be making billion airs for all I'd care I'm shocked that this has even been passed of as ahh sure it's grand type of thing. I'd actually distory her career if that's what's shes at.

Sorry if I'm way of topic here actually annoied I've two girl I would not do that myself let alone someone else. Sorry I get your not involved I'm shocked that you have heard that and she is still teaching it.

I'll let the parents involved deal with it. I'm just someone who heard it from one of my friends when I asked about the class. My child is not in the class.

Besides, busy fighting my own battle at the moment with swimming. There is a rule in the pool we use about changing rooms during mixed children's sessions which is driving me nuts. Women and girls are allowed in all changing rooms, but men and boys are only allowed in the boys. So, daddies with their daughters, mums with their sons and daddies with sons are expected to be in the "male" changing room, and only mothers with daughters are allowed in the girls. My husband took our daughter into the girls changing room (because there were 22 people, mostly women with sons and girls with daddies, in the boys room and 2 people in the girls) and he was kicked out. He queries the rule (suggesting maybe the mums with sons pop into the girls changing) was told it was for "child protection reasons" and the rule only applied to men. Arg. Talk about both ridiculous and sexist. How is sticking all the girls whose father's bring them swimming in the boys changing room doing something for child protection?

I asked them about it, in case my husband intimidated anyone just by being male, and and was told it was a Swim Ireland policy (it isn't).

I'll let the parents involved deal with it. I'm just someone who heard it from one of my friends when I asked about the class. My child is not in the class.

Besides, busy fighting my own battle at the moment with swimming. There is a rule in the pool we use about changing rooms during mixed children's sessions which is driving me nuts. Women and girls are allowed in all changing rooms, but men and boys are only allowed in the boys. So, daddies with their daughters, mums with their sons and daddies with sons are expected to be in the "male" changing room, and only mothers with daughters are allowed in the girls. My husband took our daughter into the girls changing room (because there were 22 people, mostly women with sons and girls with daddies, in the boys room and 2 people in the girls) and he was kicked out. He queries the rule (suggesting maybe the mums with sons pop into the girls changing) was told it was for "child protection reasons" and the rule only applied to men. Arg. Talk about both ridiculous and sexist. How is sticking all the girls whose father's bring them swimming in the boys changing room doing something for child protection?

I asked them about it, in case my husband intimidated anyone just by being male, and and was told it was a Swim Ireland policy (it isn't).

Noway I have been going to the national aquatic centre it's a mix changing room even have family ones at the back end I've never heard that before sounds utterly rediculious.

Do you have many options near you as I've been to a few and tbh most are mixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'd bring my custom elsewhere, I wouldn't waste my time on a place like that. Surely there's more than one pool near you?

Noway I have been going to the national aquatic centre it's a mix changing room even have family ones at the back end I've never heard that before sounds utterly rediculious.

Do you have many options near you as I've been to a few and tbh most are mixed now.

There are options but this one suits us best with times, and the instructors are excellent. The person I spoke to about it told me they have had this conversation 100 times before, so at least I am not the only person who brought it up. I'll see if I can find where the policy has come from, because everyone in the pool area was just saying "I didn't make the rules". Someone, somewhere wrote the policy, and if I can get a chat with them, I will appeal to reason. It may be that the rule is being misinterpreted at the pool level. Just need to do some further digging... Receptionists keep throwing up roadblocks.

There are options but this one suits us best with times, and the instructors are excellent. The person I spoke to about it told me they have had this conversation 100 times before, so at least I am not the only person who brought it up. I'll see if I can find where the policy has come from, because everyone in the pool area was just saying "I didn't make the rules". Someone, somewhere wrote the policy, and if I can get a chat with them, I will appeal to reason. It may be that the rule is being misinterpreted at the pool level. Just need to do some further digging... Receptionists keep throwing up roadblocks.

Your right through you need to get chatting to someone other then receptionist she will just have set things to say and a policy to follow. Bla...bla...bla... no use.

Hope you get some results with it nice to get something that suits the family. If you could get others on your side to all step up you mite see a change.

Heading swimming myself with the kids in an hour.

Advertisement