Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a first time mead maker?

Options
  • 24-11-2015 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

So I just bought a home brewing kit, and it even comes with a recipe. It seems, basically, to be Joe's Ancient Orange Mead. I'm going to need three pounds of honey, and I don't know what to go looking for. Has anyone here ever made this mead before, and if so, what honey did you use? Also, do you have any advice for making it? The recipe mentions that it should be really good after six months. I'm thinking that the first batch will be ready around summer, and if it's good, I can get a bigger demijohn and have some interesting gifts to hand out next Christmas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hey there, I've been making mead a lot since the summer, so hope I can help. I've not used the Joe's Ancient Orange receipe myself, so I can't advise specifically on that one, but the honey I've been using to make my mead I just get from Lidl. You can get 454g (1lb) jars for €1.99 each, so you're not worrying about sinking a lot of money if something goes wrong, and it's actually really decent quality honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smiley92a

Thank you for the advice. I bought the honey the other day, and the water today. Looking forward to getting started. Didn't know you were a brewer as well as an activist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

What? Me? I'm not an activist. :o

Hope the brew goes well. Out of curiosity, what yeast are you using?

Advertisement