Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi price difference UK v Ireland

• 24-11-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8 Majoni

Why is Ireland subject to much higher prices than UK/Northern Ireland. They are odffering a very nice 48 ins all the bells and whistles TV for 300 pounds there but the same item in Ireland is 499.50. Even at the exchange rate /transport this is more than E 100 than UK.
    So if you want trek to NI if you are anywhere near the border.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

There's a consumer issues forum over there some place
    > .
    This is a BA forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

There is alot of Reasons

£300 = €424

VAT UK = 20% - VAT Ireland = 23%

Then Transport costs and also General costs in Ireland are higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

They are doing you a favour. The TV is rubbish...

Oh and Aldi are not in NI...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Majoni wrote: »
    Why is Ireland subject to much higher prices than UK/Northern Ireland. They are odffering a very nice 48 ins all the bells and whistles TV for 300 pounds there but the same item in Ireland is 499.50. Even at the exchange rate /transport this is more than E 100 than UK.
    So if you want trek to NI if you are anywhere near the border

No its not. £300 is about €430. Then factor in higher costs/ more tax, transportation it is about what is expected.

Don't know why you are singling out Aldi, every retailer is the same. Also don't see this as a Bargain alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

You'll be on a wild goose chase if you do, as there are no Aldi stores in the 6 counties, so you'll need to hop on a ferry to Holyhead or somewhere like that at a minimum to rectify this pricing discrepancy.
    Should only take the most of two days of your time, the cost of a ticket for Irish Ferries, Stenaline or whoever, and depending on how far west you live between €0.01 and ~€50 for petrol/diesel. All for a tv that everybody says is a POS anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Not a specific bargain alert but I have noticed that some of the usual suspects for charging higher in ROI are at present selling cheaper than UK prices.

Argos, Currys/PC World and Halfords I have noticed selling numerous items cheaper in Irish branches than UK equivalent, not something that I have ever seen before. Presumably it is largely to do with the weak € and them not pushing up the prices to match £ prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Let us know how you get on going to NI to get it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: Thread title changed to better reflect the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Taking exchange rates and VAT into consideration the TV would be 440 here.

Then there's the higher wage rate, business rates, utilities etc.

So 499 is perfectly reasonable.

How do you calculate 100 of a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

With sterling at 0.70, costs such as wages, utilities, rates etc are much the same as UK or a little cheaper
    Taking extra vat into account that TV should be no more than €450.

In any case you'll get something as good for less in an electrical store.

Certainly recently i have found aldi's special buys not to be special price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People earn more in Ireland and are willing to pay more.

Victor wrote: »
    People earn more in Ireland and are willing to pay more.

People don't really earn more in Ireland than the UK, their income tax is a lot lower, they have more disposable income.

People don't really earn more in Ireland than the UK, their income tax is a lot lower, they have more disposable income.

Income tax is lower at certain income levels but social insurance is higher and average wages are vastly lower

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Majoni

Good morning

I have read the replies with interest about my well intentioned post. I would like to make the following points .
    I do not hate Aldi but when I perceived something that I thought looks like a ripoff I decided to highlight for peoples benefit and would hope for an Aldi explanation. When back in Ireland I shop at my local Aldi and do so in the UK where I am at the moment. I have also lived in Spain and shopped in Aldi there. So I have some feel for prices in the various countries.
    I made 3 mistakes in my post which I apologise for as I did not do my homework. My only excuse to rushed -too many emails. One- I last heard the exchange rate at E.1.3 not 1.4 and two- assumed Northern Ireland would have these stores .lastly sorry for the use of your site I am not a regular contributor and could not find anything that looked right so I plumped for yours. The website seems to have changed since I was last here 2/3 years ago. After your posts it made me think-
    Aldi are all over the world why not N.I. Is it because they would sell at UK prices???.and compete with the Southern Ireland shops#
    Then on price – the tax etc is already included in the selling price .So even at 1.4 there is still a considerable difference.
    Even on smaller items that I have bought in the three countries I have found small differences. This has left me with the feeling that the Ireland I came back to 4 years ago has developed an inherent
    greediness in business.
    That is my one and final comment on this. If we disagree let us agree to disagree and go our ways
    in peace.

Thank you

Aldi are all over the world why not N.I. Is it because they would sell at UK prices???.and compete with the Southern Ireland shops#

Why would that stop them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Good morning

I have read the replies with interest about my well intentioned post. I would like to make the following points .
    I do not hate Aldi but when I perceived something that I thought looks like a ripoff I decided to highlight for peoples benefit and would hope for an Aldi explanation.......This has left me with the feeling that the Ireland I came back to 4 years ago has developed an inherent greediness in business.

Given the current exchange rate and different vat rates & business costs, it seems the price difference is not excessive so I wouldn't hold out hope for an Aldi press release in the issue you raised. All businesses must make a profit in order to survive, I don't know any which strive to make a loss, you call it greed, others call it commerce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Good morning

I do not hate Aldi but when I perceived something that I thought looks like a ripoff I decided to highlight for peoples benefit and would hope for an Aldi explanation. When back in Ireland I shop at my local Aldi and do so in the UK where I am at the moment. I have also lived in Spain and shopped in Aldi there. So I have some feel for prices in the various countries.

Which Aldi was it in Spain ?

The shítty Aldi Nord one we have in Holland or the better Aldi Sud one you have in Ireland ?

I didn't notice much of a difference to be honest, you can't really compare Aldi Nord to Aldi Sud either .... better quality stuff in the latter I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭drumaneen

Regardless of Aldi not being in the 6 counties this is about the way the company does business in ireland vs UK. A less defensible example is the prices of there Cava Brut priced just £4.79 in Aldi UK but an depressing €10.49 in Aldi ROI.
    Applying an exchange rate of 70c the equivalent price should be just €6.85, certainly no more than €8 factoring in all possible ROI additionals like 21% VAT.
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/drinks/wine-cellar/sparkling-wine/sparkling-wine-products-detail-page/ps/p/contevedo-cava-brut/

Massively higher duty on sparkling wine in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Income tax may be lower but they have some eye watering taxes on property and water charges that are far lower here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

drumaneen wrote: »
    Regardless of Aldi not being in the 6 counties this is about the way the company does business in ireland vs UK. A less defensible example is the prices of there Cava Brut priced just £4.79 in Aldi UK but an depressing €10.49 in Aldi ROI.
    Applying an exchange rate of 70c the equivalent price should be just €6.85, certainly no more than €8 factoring in all possible ROI additionals like 21% VAT.
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/drinks/wine-cellar/sparkling-wine/sparkling-wine-products-detail-page/ps/p/contevedo-cava-brut/

How the hell can people still be so ignorant to the high cost of doing business in Ireland and the massive taxes on alcohol and cigarettes? Are you for real?

Its only been trotted out a galzillion times here on boards and in the national press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The benefit of lower taxes in the UK are quickly eroded by council taxes etc. Even Scotland has been considering a move towards irish style taxation.

The price of goods in Aldi in two different countries isn't a accurate reflection of the different cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

The cost excuse always banded about Actually UK minimum wage is higher than Ireland at €9.16 compared to €8.65 so costs are not as high in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

More than half of that 10.49 goes to the government in excise duty. Aldi ireland are cheaper than aldi uk for this product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

coconnellz wrote: »
    The cost excuse always banded about Actually UK minimum wage is higher than Ireland at €9.16 compared to €8.65 so costs are not as high in ireland
    All it takes is another banking wobble, the £ to be devalued again and the wage comparison goes into reverse as it has done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭drumaneen

How the hell can people still be so ignorant to the high cost of doing business in Ireland and the massive taxes on alcohol and cigarettes? Are you for real?

Its only been trotted out a galzillion times here on boards and in the national press.

A most unhelpful and uninformative reply Scouse.
    Suggest you visit http://www.skillsyouneed.com/ps/anger-management.html before you make any more posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Suggest you visit http://www.skillsyouneed.com/ps/anger-management.html before you make any more posts.

I thought it was entirely helpful seeing as it is the massive taxes on alcohol that comprise most of the cost of a 10.49 sparkling wine. Or do you not think that is relevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Their point stands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

It might have been put more eloquently, but the point being made is right on the money. It's in the headlines almost monthly thanks to pre and post budget analysis, health initiatives, anti and pro smoking & drinking lobbyists, cross border trade, customs and excise seizures, black market reporting etc etc etc.

Advertisement